E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Bilstein HD or Sport with Sportline?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bilstein HD or Sport with Sportline?

I'm putting on a Sportline kit. Should I go with Bilstein HD or Sport shocks?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:18 PM

Range Rover Classic
My bias would be to go with the full Sportline kit. The Bilstiens will be less expensive? Sportline offers a really decent compromise on comfort and control. I've really been pleased with my conversion.
Old 06-14-2007, 06:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Not an expert, but this my opinion

Either may be fine, but considering that the Sportline conversion will probably produce only a rather modest drop of the suspension, I would go with the HD springs. The Sports are for a lowered suspension and your car may not be that much lower with the Sportline. If Sportline really lowered the car significantly, then Mercedes would have had to include a camber adjustment for the rear. They did not make that available, so I think the Sportline can not be too much lower than the standard suspension.

I have also read comments from others saying that the longer travel of the HD shocks may improve comfort on the street. I don't know if that is true, but I have read that comment.

I have HD and like them with my Eibach springs. My car is only about 1 inch lower, so like you I could probably have gone with either shock. We are in the range of lowering where I think either shock might work fine. I just don't know how the Sports would be, since I never tried them. Most of us seem to suggest going with what we have ourselves, since that is what we have experience with. I am sure some guys with Sports will tell you that you should get the Sports. Others will likely tell you to go for Koni and forget about Bilstein all together. I do think Bilstein is best, but others have said that they may just have the best marketing. They are certainly the most common shock "upgrade" for a W124.

You could also go with the shocks that were part of the Sportline conversion. Since you are going with factory springs, as the previous post suggested, you could just go with the Sportline shocks (I think they are SACHS/BOGE).

As I said, I like the HD on my car.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:57 PM

92-300E
Strut/Shocks

I think if you're using MB Sportline or Eibach springs then either Bilstein or Sachs Sportline equivalent struts/shocks are a good choice.

MB: F=124-320-60-30 R=124-320-23-31

Sachs: F=115-070 R=106-879

Bilstein: F=V36-4053 R=B36-1612

I also think that the Bilstein HD are a good choice with either of those springs (I think ksing is the go to guy on that setup).

Bilstein: F=V36-0361 R=B36-1385

I can't really help on the strut/shock setup for other springs. I've never seen or heard of any hard evidence to back up which is the better W124 choice.

Both Sachs and Bilstein have a lifetime warranty. I know that Sachs backed theirs up, even though it was an OE shock. I know that you might save about $20-$35 bucks a wheel using Sachs. I know I've used both Sachs and Bilstein and I couldn't tell you the difference.