E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

RBYCC a question for you

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 10:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Slow Mercedes
RBYCC a question for you

I am still working on my Turbo as I now suffer from NEB syndrome (Not Enough Boost) i moved into doing some work on the inside today and would like to know where you mounted your boost guage,I did the pod but in keeping with the overall stock/deceptive look of my car,I wanted a more factory fitting location any idea's? i have a mind to cut the area to the immediate right of my headlight switch and mount there or just below the ignition switch...I bought another new panel so I can always go back to stock in the future if I don't like the install...PIC of your guage please....the pic with the screwdriver is where I want to mount the guage...

Last edited by E4///Turbo; 07-02-2007 at 10:18 PM. Reason: add pic
Old 07-02-2007, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by CoastLine
I am still working on my Turbo as I now suffer from NEB syndrome (Not Enough Boost) i moved into doing some work on the inside today and would like to know where you mounted your boost guage,I did the pod but in keeping with the overall stock/deceptive look of my car,I wanted a more factory fitting location any idea's? i have a mind to cut the area to the immediate right of my headlight switch and mount there or just below the ignition switch...I bought another new panel so I can always go back to stock in the future if I don't like the install...PIC of your guage please....the pic with the screwdriver is where I want to mount the guage...
Don't have a boost guage as each turbo is set and fixed at .48bar / 7psi.
Why not pick up a spare ash tray assembly and mount the guage in that position.

Temps have been mid seventies to low eighties with low humidity.
Jumped on it today and it broke the tires loose on the first to second shift.
Putting out amazing torque at the 7psi boost.
No turbo noise or whistling, nice V-8 sound from the exhaust.

Making a few changes...replacing the Fram panel filter wih a K&N 33-2003, and replacing the convoluted wire wound intake and intercooler hoses with solid silicon and sections of stainless steel tubing.

Big difference came from the last minute decision to go with twin magnaflow 4" spun metal cats....seems to have higher flow then the single 2 x 2" in and out ceramic brick unit.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any way to get a small boost gauge on the instrument face where the economy gauge would normally go? thats an option.

or how about at 6 o'clock on the tachometer?

needs to be small though
Old 07-03-2007, 04:30 PM

Very Slow Mercedes
i am glad you are using silicone hoses as those wounded tubes rob horsepower and efficiency, i thought about the ashtray,i will scout about for a nice used one and try that......keep the pod for the time being.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
i am glad you are using silicone hoses as those wounded tubes rob horsepower and efficiency, i thought about the ashtray,i will scout about for a nice used one and try that......keep the pod for the time being.
I should have the hoses by the end of the week and will install along with a bit of stainless steel tubing.

The kit was dated 1992 and was supplied with the wire wound hose which besides not looking great seem to not have as smooth of an interior.

Changing the old Fram panel filter to a K&N should help a bit.

I can't stop driving this car...it's like a whole different animal !!!!

Get yours done and you'll know what I'm saying
Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
have you posted any vids yet of burnouts and drive-by? I'd love to hear that beast!
Old 07-03-2007, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
have you posted any vids yet of burnouts and drive-by? I'd love to hear that beast!
It's still quite subdued...no turbo noise and the exhaust note is more like a V-8 AMG car...much like my C43

Burn out vids at my age .....more like still pix
Old 07-06-2007, 03:30 PM

Very Slow Mercedes
I was done with the exception of clean up work,drove it up to the Rosebowl meet and met a bunch of nice guys,,I drove the heck out of it for a month between 9-12 lbs of boost and upped to 14 it went lean,now I am going for low-low compression,port & polished head for a steady 14 psi.....
Again your car looks amazing------I have limited slip with 265/35/18 sticky tires so I won't have a burn out video either,i use the 6.9 for burnouts.

Automatics unless you force the issue usually will not have much turbo noise because the throttle plate never closes completely,unlike a manual..I run a blow off valve but it actually is not necessary,but I have it as a extra precaution to keep my engine healthier,,on very very sudden decel I hear the blow off valve work but it's under conditions most people would not dare try...under boost it is definately a turbo car....I have never heard a 4cyl Mercedes that a liked the exhaust or intake sound and this is no exception.my car sounds like a excessively muffled WRX and I do not actually car for that but it is an improvement over the stock 4cyl which sounds like crap
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I was done with the exception of clean up work,drove it up to the Rosebowl meet and met a bunch of nice guys,,I drove the heck out of it for a month between 9-12 lbs of boost and upped to 14 it went lean,now I am going for low-low compression,port & polished head for a steady 14 psi.....
Again your car looks amazing------I have limited slip with 265/35/18 sticky tires so I won't have a burn out video either,i use the 6.9 for burnouts.
Thanks

What compression do you feel will give you durability with the almost 1 bar boost?

P.S.

The silicone hoses and the K&N filter arrived this week.
I'll take off the old style coiled hose along with the Fram filter tomorrow.
Post some pix when done of a more "contemporary" engine bay