E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Need a FAST response, check engine light on and got it diagnosed today

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Need a FAST response, check engine light on and got it diagnosed today

Hey everyone,

I went to the stealership today with my check engine light on (figured it was just a bad O2 sensor) and for the 120k service. Turns out the "exhaust recirculation" system is clogged with caked carbon or some garbage, which I think is bull...

They want 2.2k parts/labor to replace the pipes

Has anyone else had this problem??? I assume it is error code 5: Exhaust gas recirculation inoperative.

I already got screwed on the air pump when it siezed last year and I just found out you can bypass that from a thread here.

So think you guys could help me save some money/time here? The car is only worth about 3k so this is ridiculous imo. Plus I have to get this done this week so I can pass smog, otherwise there is a nasty fine.

Update: I got the car back and they reset the check engine light. I think I'm going to try to pass smog tomorrow.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:52 AM

CLK230 K, Avantguard
eazy

pull tacho out and take out a bulb just to get u pass whatever...
Old 07-03-2007, 09:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by DarkXerox
Hey everyone,

I went to the stealership today with my check engine light on (figured it was just a bad O2 sensor) and for the 120k service. Turns out the "exhaust recirculation" system is clogged with caked carbon or some garbage, which I think is bull...

They want 2.2k parts/labor to replace the pipes

Has anyone else had this problem??? I assume it is error code 5: Exhaust gas recirculation inoperative.

I already got screwed on the air pump when it siezed last year and I just found out you can bypass that from a thread here.

So think you guys could help me save some money/time here? The car is only worth about 3k so this is ridiculous imo. Plus I have to get this done this week so I can pass smog, otherwise there is a nasty fine.

Update: I got the car back and they reset the check engine light. I think I'm going to try to pass smog tomorrow.
This is extremely common with these cars, I've read. I think mine has the same issue, because I get an intermittent code 5 but the valve works fine AND I never get a Check Engine Light (except normal test at startup). Do a search on this forum , and you will find instructions for cleaning it out yourself, if you want. It's not that difficult.

Are you unable to pass smog because of this or have you tried yet?

Last edited by shdoug; 07-03-2007 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-03-2007, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by delija
pull tacho out and take out a bulb just to get u pass whatever...
If the bulb doesn't work, you fail the smog test immediately.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:23 PM

Range Rover Classic
Open the EGR tube on one end and root through it with a flexible cable. You should be able to get most of the detritus out. There is a new version of the tube but installing it isn't much fun.
Old 07-03-2007, 02:27 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by Eliot
Open the EGR tube on one end and root through it with a flexible cable. You should be able to get most of the detritus out. There is a new version of the tube but installing it isn't much fun.
Thanks dude I figured there was a way to do this. I've got an appt at 1pm for smog. Frankly I think I should pass since I did last year at the same place and I've only put on ~3k miles or so on this car.

The dealer reset the light and it hasn't come on yet (crosses fingers). So I'll see how the smog goes.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:24 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
I passed, by a huge amount too....

Thanks for the info

I'll try cleaning out the EGR tube this week though. Got any photos or descriptions of where to look? I honestly didn't know this existed before this week. I mean jeez, I didn't know this car had an air pump for emissions too until that broke last year.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Check the link below. It has diagrams that should match your model and show the egr tube that needs cleaning. Usually blockage is in the tube immediately adjacent to the intake manifold.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=090&SGN=04
Old 07-08-2007, 11:22 PM

07 E550, 02 C32, 91 300E
Originally Posted by Kestas
Check the link below. It has diagrams that should match your model and show the egr tube that needs cleaning. Usually blockage is in the tube immediately adjacent to the intake manifold.

http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb2.asp...SGR=090&SGN=04

Ah I actually have the service manual I found in my desk with the same diagrams. Thanks!