E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Steering shimmy after car warms up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 12:25 PM
hmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering shimmy after car warms up

I have a '95 E420 w/105K miles and am having a strange problem with a steering wheel shimmy that appears when the car has been driven a while. I've had the wheels rebalanced and a new steering dampener put in, but the problem persists. I've had the car on jacks and have checked for loose suspension components, but everything's tight.

Could this have anything to do with the power steering system causing a shimmy when the fluid gets hot?

Thanks for any feedback that you may have.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:28 PM

300E
Its possible that you have warped rotors. After the heat up they can do that! is the shimmy on when driving, or accelarating?
Old 07-26-2007, 03:31 PM
Almost a Member!

A w124, w202, and a few bimmers
Warped rotors would usually only shimmy if the brakes were applied.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:46 PM
hmr

Thanks for the answers, guys, but I'm pretty sure it's not the rotors. Braking is solid, pulse free. The vibration is only at highway speeds (60 mph +) and only when the car's fully warmed up. Very frustrating. Does the power steering pump have any mechanism (like some control valve) that could be doing this?

My next guess is that the tire pressure may be contributing to this somewhat. I've got larger tires on it right now (205/60, I think) and I'm thinking about going stock.

One last question, I've heard about strobe light balancing (or on-the-vehicle) balancing being real good with hard to balance wheels. Anyone know where in Dallas (or anywhere in Texas for that matter--I wouldn't mind driving) there would be a shop that does this kind of balancing? TIA.