E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 11:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 cabriolet
Hey Garfunkle, which front airdam do you have tht has the fogs in it? I like that look alot. I know it's a 90's look, but I think driving lights in the lower airdam should always be on a sporty German car. It personally pisses me off that alot of the new Merc/Bimmer?Porsche models have eliminated those in favor of something next to the headlight, as I think it is a great stying cue.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Hey guys. So a few more questions after reading these posts:

1) How much should I expect to replace the front timing cover seal?
2) How much should I expect to replace the head gasket?
3) How much to replace the wiring harness?
4) How much to add a cooling harness?
5) Any ideas on the best place for total replacement leather for the seats or a place to just buy all new seats?

Thanks again. This board has been a great help already!!

Also, is there a way to join this board contribution wise or is it just free? Over on the Rennlist board, you can be there for free, but most people pay a voluntary fee to join to help out those who run it. Just asking...

Thanks.
Robert
Old 08-15-2007, 08:04 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S500
Nice car. My exterior is the same color, only difference is I have a chocolate brown interior.
Not to do any sh*t disturbing, but since you are used to the twin turbo thing. If you are going to all the above mentioned work, you should look into putting the Turbo Technics - twin turbo kit on while your engine is apart. There are a few of us doing this set up and on the 104 engine we should be getting approx 350hp. It'll make it a little more fun.
There are a few post on this forum as well as a few others that have more info.
Enjoy your car!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:27 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Can the transmission and the engine take that kind of change at 157,000 miles?

Also, what is the price of the conversion?

Any other thoughts from anyone else on my other questions listed a few posts up?
Old 08-15-2007, 09:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by CoastLine
I just have to be careful, because I am used to the slippery slope of mods on the Porsche and BMW boards! If I am not careful, I will end up with a 400 HP E320 cab!! :-)

Getting closer as we speak...
oh my goodness....that car is SO sexy

blinker mirrors for the win!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
My $0.02

1) front timing cover seal? - don't bother unless it is horrible
2) head gasket? - don't bother unless it is horrible
3) wiring harness? - do it when you can't take it anymore with head gasket and timing cover

I think all three of above together might be around $2K, at an Indy that is. I would guess $3K or more at the dealer. There should be some economy in doing everything at one time, however, even if done at the dealer. I am planning to do all 3 if the head gasket gets real bad. I have also been thinking about just doing the harness and then waiting to see how the other things go. Mine have already been leaking a little for 2 years or more and it just doesn't matter. I don't have to add oil between changes, there is no oil in my coolant, and there is no smoke in my exhaust, so who cares.

4) cooling harness? V2 for you - $67
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_S500.html

5) Any ideas on the best place for total replacement leather for the seats or a place to just buy all new seats? - In the pictures, your car looks like mine, maybe a little worse on yours. For me it is really just that one panel of leather in the front of the seat portion. I guess the driver's side bolster is also usually an issue, although mine really is OK so far. I think I may just replace those panels that are bad at a good upholstry shop. I had it done once before for an old truck that I loved. It turned out great! I am pretty sure I remember seeing replacement seat stuff in PerformanceProducts. They had both leather and MB-TEX.

Don't know about paying the moderators of the site. Nice idea, however, considering how great it is to be able to come on the sites to ask for help. By the way, MercedesShop is also a great site for technical assistance from expert mechanics
Old 08-15-2007, 09:43 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by 911/M5
Can the transmission and the engine take that kind of change at 157,000 miles?
I'm sure mine could not. If you keep the car a long time, I would add the transmission to your list of $2K/fix problems to be addressed.
Old 08-15-2007, 11:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by 911/M5
Hey Garfunkle, which front airdam do you have tht has the fogs in it? I like that look alot. I know it's a 90's look, but I think driving lights in the lower airdam should always be on a sporty German car. It personally pisses me off that alot of the new Merc/Bimmer?Porsche models have eliminated those in favor of something next to the headlight, as I think it is a great stying cue.
robert,

Garfalomew did that himself, all he did was wire aftermarket foglights to his OEM bumper.

Pretty good job I was impressed, still am.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Thanks guys. Just got a call form the shop...

Believe it or not, they said the 105-112 degrees celsius was from one of the two front accessory fans that was spinning backwards due to the fan being connected in reverse. Does that make sense? Who knows...

I guess I am over thinking the leak, it leaks about 10 drops a night. The shop has it today and said it is nothing more than the crank seal. I haven't heard anyone bring it up, but he said I could fix it for $325. Sound fair?

He said the leak looks like the crank seal, because the front cover usually leaks down the front in a different place. He said it looks like my leak is being thrown around like it's coming out of a centrifuge around that seal. Stupid question, but where is the crank seal? I would guess towards the bottom at the front of the engine??

With regards to the seats, I am going to have a leather guy look at it today hopefully. I will report back...
Old 08-15-2007, 03:43 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
[QUOTE=911/M5;2369353]Believe it or not, they said the 105-112 degrees celsius was from one of the two front accessory fans that was spinning backwards due to the fan being connected in reverse. Does that make sense? [QUOTE]

Same thing happened to my friends W210, the next model of our car. I have also read about it happening to a number of others on the forums. One post indicated that the OEM version can not be plugged in backwards so that it only happens with aftermarket versions of the fans. I don't know if that is true.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Thanks for the nice words, shadowgriffen. Are the blinker mirrors for the CLK's able to retrofit to our cars or is it a different models that does it?

Update - I drove the car around this afternoon and it only got to 105 when the exterior temperature in Nashville, TN was 107!!! So I guess the temperature issue has been resolved. Add one more wierd thing to the obvious list of overheating solutions. Best thing is, they didn't charge me a nickel since I had already paid them fix the heat problem once.

I am going to ride it out a few weeks on the leak, but honestly if $325 can fix the crank seal and I am fortunate enough to not have a front timing cover or head gasket leak, then I am all for it. That would give me a leak free car for a while.

Leather and Top: I priced out replacing the leather for both front seats at $1,800 plus another $500 to do the center glove box, the center armrest and to sand, finish and spray the backs of the front seats the rear seats and the rear head rests so everything matches. Does that sound about right? Perofrmance Products has seat covers listed for $899 which is the same price without installation, except thiers is all new on the back, where this local shop only replaces the seating surface.

A new top was listed at $2,100 installled with another $300 for the interior liner. Opinions?