E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 cabriolet
Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...

Hey guys,
I am a regular over on Rennlist and the Bimmer Boards as I have a 1996 993TT and a 2002 M5, so I know the boards are always the place to meet new friends and learn about my new (to me) car from people who know their stuff. I guess I couldn't live without a Benz either, so now I have one!! I'll try to post pics soon.

The car is smoke silver and has 157,000 on the clock. It is in pretty good cosmetic condition, and it should look new when I am done with it.

So far I have changed the oil and filter, put on a new serpentine belt, replaced the O2 sensor, fixed the third brake light harness short and replaced a bad cooling fan up front. After $1,100 in repair bills the car is running really well except that the engine is still running hot. I replaced one radiator fan so they both work now, but it still gets between the 100 line and about 110, which I assume is far too hot even in August in the south. What other culprits might me at work here? Fan clutch? Thermostat? Something else?

Also, I appear to have an oil leak they haven't found yet, but it drips about 15 drops a night which ain't good. It looks to be coming out of the front area of the engine, somewhere around either the alternator or the a/c compressor? Any clues which seal might be leaking and the cost to fix?

Last but not least, I have a plethora of little knick knacks to get as far as trim pieces. Where would be the best place to find these items:
1) New center console glove box
2) Plastic cover that covers hole in center of convertible top cover when it's down.
3) Center caps for wheels
4) Possibly new seats
5) Possibly new wheels
6) Black MB floor mats (to offset tan interior)

Thanks a million guys! Glad to be part of another great German car forum!!!

Robert Collins

Last edited by 911/M5; 08-04-2007 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 12:13 PM

1995 S14
Welcome to the boards! I think you will get all these questions answered, though none by me due to lack of answers. Do you happen to have any pictures of this machine?
Old 08-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Going to take some now... have to learn how to post them though
Old 08-04-2007, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Slow Mercedes
E320 Cabriolet=Congrats very nice car indeed....

Upper timing cover usually leaks,or rear of cylinder head...but if you see it by a/c likely is upper timing cover.
console glove box can be bought in pieces-get the pieces you need-my cheap cab was not equipped with a center console box when it left factory,I added just recently...
I did not know there was a cover to cover the hole when the top was down,i need to look into that...
it is permissable for your car to run at 100 to 110 celsius in 90+ ambient,but on a 12 year old car the cooling systemis just about do for some things.....
I just put a whole new cooling system on mine but it was for being an idiot rather than the car actually needing it.
I still have people thinking mine is a new car...I just laugh--the squared off body looks ancient compared to the rounded and sharp new designs-but I loved it from the first time I laid eyes on it back in High School in 92-and nothing has changed..

Again Congrats-you have yourself a bona fide dream garage-3 cars that any car enthusiast would love to have..
Old 08-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Thanks coastline.

Regarding the plastic cover for the whole in the cab top cover (tonneau cover??) if you look at a few pics of these cars for sale online, most of them have that black plastic piece there. It's really just cosmetic and serves no purpose other than neatness, but I am **** as hell. My friends all ove when I buy a pet car, because they all wait for me to get tired of it so they can buy a car that needs nothing done to it for years! :-)

How expensive is it to replace the upper timing cover seal? What about the head gasket (assuming that's what your referring to)?

My center console is in good shapwe except for vinyl covering. I will compare a recover versus buying one. Where is the best place to buy one?

The day I bought mine the seller was in the car with me in a parking lot explaining what all the buttons do, and a couple in their sixties pull up and ask us what year the Mercedes was. WE both resoponded 1995. To their disbelief, they just shook their heads and smiled and then told us it was the prettiest Mercedes convertible they had ever seen. :-)))))) I love the CLK55, but there is something elegant and sexy about the low slung sled-like E320 cabriolet body. The long flowing lines from the A-pillar to the trunk are unlike any other cab I have ever seen. I really like it. I had a 1996 993 cabriolet before my Turbo and I loved it, but I sold it and got the Turbo because of power and the back seats werer too small for mykids to be comfortable. Now I have a convertible that four adults can ride in, which means it's a no-brianer for the kids.

Thanks for the compliments on my garage. I have seen other garages that make mine look like the poor house, but I am very proud of mine and feel very blessed that I can afford them all. My only problem is htat I getting jealous looks from Heidi and the Beast because all my time is currently going into the W124 (yet to be named).
Old 08-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
A few pics...
Attached Thumbnails Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-img_3948small.jpg   Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-img_3964small.jpg   Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-img_3952-small.jpg   Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-img_3967small.jpg   Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-img_3974.jpg  

Last edited by 911/M5; 08-04-2007 at 07:26 PM.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:22 PM

1995 S14
P_i_m_p
Old 08-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Range Rover Classic
For ordering genuine parts I would suggest buymbparts.com or Duval motor cars. The second is a dealership but they offer fairly steep discounts. You will need parts #s to place orders.

For used parts try Potomac German Auto.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Thank you! I added a few more in that same post...still trying to get the upload tool figured out. Same one as Rennlist, but it seems alot slower.

I will check out those parts places, Eliot. Thanks.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:30 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
one more pic of engine. Not bad for 157k...
Attached Thumbnails Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-img_3984small.jpg  
Old 08-04-2007, 08:31 PM

1994 White an Grey E320 "Shado"
All I can say is daaaaaaammmmmmm sexy!
Old 08-05-2007, 07:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
I don't usually like smoke silver, but I think it looks great on the cab. I also like the lack of contrast with the interior. It all just looks perfect together. By the way, I believe your interior color is "parchment". At least that is what they called the same color in my 1995 E320.

All these cars get leaks. Front timing cover and head gasket are the culprits. I have both problems. For me it has been 2 years since the leaks were diagnosed by the dealer and confirmed by my indy. You may be able to ignore it for a while, unless there is oil in the coolant, white smoke blowing out the exhaust, or so much oil loss that you have to add more oil daily. Maybe you will be OK just putting a cardboard box under the car. It also sounds like the front timing cover can be a constant nagging issue, due to design problems, the need for a special sealant, and finding someone with experience to do the job.

If you get the head gasket and timing cover done, you should also replace the wiring harness unless it was already done. They are biodegradable and will not be in good condition after they are moved around to do the head gasket job. I am planning to do mine when I do the head gasket, although some have told me it might be good to do the wiring harness before it wreaks expensive havoc on my electronics.

I would say that most of these cars go to 105 degrees in stop and go traffic on a hot summer day. The high speed fan comes on at 105. If the temp drops quickly after the fans come on, then your car is functioning "normally". It is a known issue with these cars. The best solution is probably a switch to turn the high speed fans on and off from the driver's seat. I have something called a cool harness, that turns the high speed fans on early. The only problem is that the fans stay on once they come on. The cool harness decreases the temperature for both the on and off operation.

I love my black all weather MB floor mats.

I would paint the plastic grille insert black - it is easy to remove the grille and chrome strips and just paint the thing with just about any black spray paint.
Wider wheels with slightly lower offset than stock gives the car a nice wider stance.
Attached Thumbnails Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-1995-e320-se-interior.jpeg  

Last edited by ksing44; 08-05-2007 at 07:22 AM.
Old 08-05-2007, 08:51 AM

Range Rover Classic
Not to derail (too badly) but are your Kick/Sill/Scuff Plates original equipment KSing?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:25 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
I cant see the wheel pic or the mat pic. What gives?
Old 08-05-2007, 11:55 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Eliot
Not to derail (too badly) but are your Kick/Sill/Scuff Plates original equipment KSing?
The stainless doorsills were part of the "Special Edition" package in 1995. It seems to be impossible to find the OEM version anywhere. There are similar aftermarket doorsills available and they even light up, but I don't think they look quite as good as the OEM stainless version. I also don't know if the aftermarket versions are quite as thick as mine.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:00 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by 911/M5
I cant see the wheel pic or the mat pic. What gives?
I think sometimes you can't see the pictures unless you sign in. For the interior mat picture I added the photo as a thumbnail and then also added it as an image hosted by the this website. You really should be able to see the photos if you are logged on.

Here is your car

My car

Last edited by ksing44; 08-05-2007 at 12:05 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:59 PM

Range Rover Classic
Originally Posted by ksing44
It seems to be impossible to find the OEM version anywhere.
I crawled through the EPC earlier today trying to finding the part # to no avail. Absolutely agree, they look much better and far more substantial than the aftermarket ones. Many of those just slip over the existing sill plate.

Thanks for the answer
Old 08-06-2007, 05:40 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by Eliot
I crawled through the EPC earlier today trying to finding the part # to no avail. Absolutely agree, they look much better and far more substantial than the aftermarket ones. Many of those just slip over the existing sill plate.

Thanks for the answer
The OEM just slips over too. In fact there is even a very small bit of the plastic sill that is still visible at the ends, so it isn't an absolutely perfect fit or anything. I do think they may be a little thicker than the ones I've seen pictures of, but I'm not really sure about that since I never saw the other ones in person. Maybe the aftermarket version would look great after it was installed.

I do like mine. For me it makes a big difference in the appearance as you open the car door. Originally I thought all the W124s had the stainless, but then I finally saw another car that didn't have it. Without that little bit of stainless, I think the MB looks more like just any other car. It is funny how such a silly little thing can make such a difference.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:55 AM

95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
Very nice cab, and by the way that's a hell of a collection you got there...
Old 08-07-2007, 01:18 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Thanks, Vili. You know it's a funny story how I came to buy this car, but I love it just the same.

I actually bought this W124 cab because a friend needed money and his only option was to sell his car. I have another friend who has owned a 1995 E320 for about eight years and has loved it every mile he has driven it.

So my thought process was the fact that I have a super car in the Twin Turbo and a great daily driver in the M5. I love convertibles and had a 911 cabriolet before the Twin Turbo, but I have three kids and need a car that can fit them all. While there are many true FOUR adult seat convertibles, I have never seen one with as much class as the E320. So when my friend came knocking, I bought it.

I know the CLK55 and the CLK body in general is awesome, but I wasn't willing to give up either of my current family members to get one, so this sort of came as a surprise but I love it. In fact, I feel very blessed to own a Benz, a Bimmer and a Porsche. I know alot of people choose sides, but I love all German cars. I have owned a VW, but not an Audi, but who knows... :-) Aluminum bodies make me nervous, but you never know.

Anyway, I love the car, I have put about $1,400 in it in a week and I am fine with it. I hope to get it right for under $3,000 so I can still be right in it for now. If I keep it long term, I am fine with the potential liability for repairs since it will be a family togetherness tool. My kids love rides in daddy's cars!!!! :-)
Old 08-07-2007, 01:20 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
I just have to be careful, because I am used to the slippery slope of mods on the Porsche and BMW boards! If I am not careful, I will end up with a 400 HP E320 cab!! :-)
Old 08-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 Kombi, 2006 R350 Pewter/Black
Welcome fellow Cab driver. The plastic surround for the latch on the tonneau cover is called a rear plate and the part number is: #1247570308, or at least that is what is says when I ordered one. $5.99, hope this helps and enjoy.
Old 08-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
Thank you!!! I have looked for this on about ten websites to no avail. If it is that cheap, I'll just go pay stealer prices! Thanks again.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very Slow Mercedes
I just have to be careful, because I am used to the slippery slope of mods on the Porsche and BMW boards! If I am not careful, I will end up with a 400 HP E320 cab!! :-)

Getting closer as we speak...
Attached Thumbnails Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...-ebay-sales-083.jpg  
Old 08-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Almost a Member!

1995 E320 cabriolet
LOL!!! SO far I am looking at my list of 18 things to do to the car. I think a normal person would just go drive the damn thing, but I love tinkering. DOn't get me wrong, I'm not a mechanic, but I like to try and resolve the little things that make a big difference.

If the guy I bought it from had put $1,000 into cosmetics and details, I'll bet he could have sold it for $4-5,000 more than I paid for it.

ANyway, I am learning alot about the car on this board, which I truly appreciate. Car enthusiast forums really are the coolest place on earth.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Total newbie, just bought 1995 E329 cabriolet and have lots of Questions...