E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Repair the A/C relay

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 06:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'69 280SL, '95 E320 Wagon, '86 Toyota SR5 Truck, '69 Honda Trail 90,
Repair the A/C relay

On my '95 E320 the climate system didn't work right. The A/C compressor would come on at times for a short time at the beginning of a drive and then it wouldn't come on any more. I traced the fault to the A/C relay, also known as the Klima relay. After I removed the relay and connected pins 5 and 7, the compressor clutch engaged and I had cold air. This was a test. A new relay costs about $135 and I thought, I'd open it up for a look-see. There are two minature relays in there, soldered to a circuit board. I removed the cover of the one relay that provides contact between pins 5 and 7. I actuated it using my finger. That must have freed the relay because now the A/C works just fine. I guess, because this relay cycles very often, and because it's so small, it gets stuck after years of operation. Any comments?
Old 09-03-2007, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
hmm, i'll have to open mine up as well. any picutres?
Old 09-04-2007, 07:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'69 280SL, '95 E320 Wagon, '86 Toyota SR5 Truck, '69 Honda Trail 90,
No pics because I thought at the time that I was opening up a scrap part. I was surprised at finding a complex circuit board and what appeared to be two relays. I just opened up one relay out of curiosity. I had planed to borrow a good A/C relay from an aquaintance who has a '94 wagon. He's a Mercedes mechanic and very helpful. Those guys really know their cars! Long gone are the days when I made a car from parts from a junk yard. But you can remove the silicone sealant from the bottom of the case using a 1/8 flat blade screwdriver. Then you can spread the case a little and withdraw the circuit board assembly. The minature relay I opened is the one that connects pins 5 and 7. Just trace the connection on the circuit board. I opened the relay using small wire snips. Finger Nail cutters might work too. Be careful not to damage the relay inside. Remove just little pieces of cover at a time. I'll test the car for a while and, if it keeps on working, remove the relay and snap a pic for you. Note: This procedure is probably not aproved by MB or Bosch!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 300TE, and 68 280sel
Originally Posted by TheEngineer
Note: This procedure is probably not aproved by MB or Bosch!

Oh my goodness , then I shall not even dare to try it