E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

car burns oil

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:13 PM

i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
car burns oil

my car burns oil and i was woundering is this some thing i should just let go for the time being or is it some thing i should worry about. or have it looked as soon as posible. i drive a w124 260e with about last time i looked 268,300 miles on it.i have seen smoke come out of my motor when i pull of the oil cap to add my 10-w40. also i found a wrench in my motor compartment the other day when i went to go look and check my atf im woundering if i should go to the place my dad took this car to befor and yell at them for f**king some thing up and get them to fix this or if i should not worry about it id really like some help on this.
Old 09-12-2007 | 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold) 2007 CLK350 Cabriolet 2014 ML550
Originally Posted by Rio Z Lander
my car burns oil and i was woundering is this some thing i should just let go for the time being or is it some thing i should worry about. or have it looked as soon as posible. i drive a w124 260e with about last time i looked 268,300 miles on it.i have seen smoke come out of my motor when i pull of the oil cap to add my 10-w40. also i found a wrench in my motor compartment the other day when i went to go look and check my atf im woundering if i should go to the place my dad took this car to befor and yell at them for f**king some thing up and get them to fix this or if i should not worry about it id really like some help on this.
How much oil does it use in how many miles? Burning oil is not easy to solve. Could be worn valve guide seals. Smoke coming out when you take of the cap is fairly normal. If smoke comes out with the cap off and engine running either you have a lot of blow-by (worn piston rings) or plugged PCV valve. (I assume these engines have a PCV valve)
Old 09-12-2007 | 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by shdoug
How much oil does it use in how many miles? Burning oil is not easy to solve. Could be worn valve guide seals. Smoke coming out when you take of the cap is fairly normal. If smoke comes out with the cap off and engine running either you have a lot of blow-by (worn piston rings) or plugged PCV valve. (I assume these engines have a PCV valve)
well i need to add oil every 5 or 6 months so i think it is not as bad as alot of people think. trany leeks like crazy every month i need to add ATF. i know if i have the car at a high rev for a bit smoke comes out the tail pipe. it hase been doing this for 4 years and evan after we had the motor rebuilt. since im going to be riping this motor out and puting in the 500e's V8 im woundering should i even care about this.or just add oil as needed or should i wast the time and money to get this looked at.help would be really nice i must jet back to class befor they think im goofing off
Old 09-12-2007 | 07:28 PM
Almost a Member!

E320
Just make sure to change yer oil every 5 or 6 months, use something heavier than 10w30 and dont sweat the leak/burn unless you get smoke out the tailpipe. Check your plugs make sure the oil isnt goin in there, check your coolant make sure the oil isnt going there, if thats clean just drive and be happy. What ever you do stay away from the lucas additive - its the most worthless stuff ever invented.

Drain your tranny and replace the filter and gasket, chances are that might clear up that leak. Are you certian that its trans fluid thats leaking and not oil? Oil is black-translucent black - trans fluid is usually Red.
Old 09-12-2007 | 07:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold) 2007 CLK350 Cabriolet 2014 ML550
well i need to add oil every 5 or 6 months so i think it is not as bad as alot of people think. trany leeks like crazy every month i need to add ATF. i know if i have the car at a high rev for a bit smoke comes out the tail pipe. it hase been doing this for 4 years and evan after we had the motor rebuilt. since im going to be riping this motor out and puting in the 500e's V8 im woundering should i even care about this.or just add oil as needed or should i wast the time and money to get this looked at.help would be really nice i must jet back to class befor they think im goofing off
You're going to stick a 500E v8 in your car? Have fun trying to find one sitting around somewhere. Pick up a Chrysler 426 Hemi while you're at it!
Old 09-12-2007 | 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
yeah, a 2.6 to 5.0 conversion is not a good idea, just run some thicker oil or replace the valveguide seals.
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by braknstuf
Just make sure to change yer oil every 5 or 6 months, use something heavier than 10w30 and dont sweat the leak/burn unless you get smoke out the tailpipe. Check your plugs make sure the oil isnt goin in there, check your coolant make sure the oil isnt going there, if thats clean just drive and be happy. What ever you do stay away from the lucas additive - its the most worthless stuff ever invented.

Drain your tranny and replace the filter and gasket, chances are that might clear up that leak. Are you certian that its trans fluid thats leaking and not oil? Oil is black-translucent black - trans fluid is usually Red.
yes it is ATF i watched it drip from my trany for 2 hours but cant find from where
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by shdoug
You're going to stick a 500E v8 in your car? Have fun trying to find one sitting around somewhere. Pick up a Chrysler 426 Hemi while you're at it!
Hemi is not worth any thing at all it is to heavy to really put out any thing remotely in power to weight ratio. don't get me wrong it is a sick motor but only if you spend 3k on power alone. also it sucks up to much gas.as for the 500e motor is is not going to be to hard im going to be buying a crashed 500e and swapping out every thing that is good on that car. putting it on mine altho to motor mounts are the only thing im worried about. i only plane to save 3k for all this if im looking at 4k to 6ki wont bother and just grab a a lower mileage motor than the one i have in my car and go from there and save the money for a 400e. odd i see this car as a building block for my life a a custom car builder and plan to open my own shop others call me in sane. like i have sed if you cant buy it make it. hay it is time to try some thing new and i wont let odds or people stop me for my reaching what i want.this car saved my in a 90mph t bone car crash if this car was not so well built id be dead the only thing i got from that crash was a bad knee.
Old 09-13-2007 | 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
yeah, a 2.6 to 5.0 conversion is not a good idea, just run some thicker oil or replace the valveguide seals.
i have 10-w40 in the car right now it runs like a god still drives well a little jurk from the trans ever so often and still can get up to speed almost like it was new but the smoke did concern me a bit my friend thinks the car is going to blow up. also i have a web site if you click under my name you can go to it i have meney car photos from shows i go to or have saved of the net over the years

Last edited by Rio Z Lander; 09-13-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-13-2007 | 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
i have 10-w40 in the car right now it runs like a god still drives well a little jurk from the trans ever so often and still can get up to speed almost like it was new but the smoke did concern me a bit my friend thinks the car is going to blow up. also i have a web site if you click under my name you can go to it i have meney car photos from shows i go to or have saved of the net over the years
Nice signature, and to answer it, yes I have.

My screen name everywhere else is the_tripple_born.
Old 09-13-2007 | 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
Nice signature, and to answer it, yes I have.

My screen name everywhere else is the_tripple_born.
yes i have died before each time i stopped breathing for 5 min well my friend thinks the barings mights be going in my motor. and that might be why it smokes but if so the car would of stopped running a long time ago