E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

SLS pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 wagon
SLS pump

A few weeks ago I asked for help understanding the SLS on a E320 wagon, a 95 model.

Steve responded with so very generous information including this:

Yes, you fill the reservoir under the hood. Don't run the pump dry....just siphon and replace. Then use the bleed screw on the level valve and let the pump force the fluid and after repair air out. It's at a very high point and under considerable pressure.
The pump is a tandem type that is not accessory belt driven but rather is driven off the crankshaft and provides pressure for the SLS and the power steering.....again in tandem as these are separate systems with separate reservoirs.

Oh...and they each have filters to remove suspended solids. P/S is paper while the SLS filter is a serviceable metal screen. But honestly it's cheap enough ($7.90 at AZ autohaus) that it was not worth cleaning the nasty original in my car. IMO>>

I got in to the job and looked for a crank driven pump. On this car there is a P/S pump which is belt driven. It is installed right above the AC compressor. The P/S pump is driven by the belt to the Ac. There is a P/S fluid rerservoir right above the pump. I see no other devices, No second reservoir. If someone understands this setup I have I would be grateful for the info on how to access the sls reservoir.

Steve, if you are out there, could there be more than one configuration on these models?

Thx,
P