E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

87 300E not firing from coil HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 87 300E not firing from coil HELP!

Hello I have a 1987 300e it has had a firing problem for a while now but I can't figure it out. I drive the car only a few times a month and when ever I go to start it it takes about fifteen minutes of cranking before the ignition coil would start sparking and then the car would start ,and also the engine would miss alot when it starts until it reaches operating tempurture, and then it would run fine. It would start and run fine all day and the next day if I run it again, but if I dont start it for a few days the firing problem happens again.
What do you think? can it be the ignition module or the crank shaft sensor or mabe the ignition coil. Has anyone had this problem before. Please help me if you can.

Thank you.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Is it humid where you live? Maybe something electronic is getting wet. The coil could have a crack in the case.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Originally Posted by CarlosBenz
Hello I have a 1987 300e it has had a firing problem for a while now but I can't figure it out. I drive the car only a few times a month and when ever I go to start it it takes about fifteen minutes of cranking before the ignition coil would start sparking and then the car would start ,and also the engine would miss alot when it starts until it reaches operating tempurture, and then it would run fine. It would start and run fine all day and the next day if I run it again, but if I dont start it for a few days the firing problem happens again.
What do you think? can it be the ignition module or the crank shaft sensor or mabe the ignition coil. Has anyone had this problem before. Please help me if you can.

Thank you.
Have you checked the OVP? what about fuel filters? replaced? Spark plugs all good?