E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Suspension issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
RBYCC FTMFW!!!!

I love my W124 but I love real estate and making films even more! I worked my butt off for 6 years, working 6-7 days a week and I still have time for the things I love....
Old 10-25-2007, 12:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It changes all the time
[QUOTE=RBYCC;2469490]
Originally Posted by hineywineries

I agree with the young man.
Owning many things that you are not able to properly care for is akin to owning nothing.

I will disagree with you.

As you get older, if you've lived your life properly, you should have the time to indulge yourself in what makes you feel good.

You seem to be living the "inverted triangle" life.
In essence acquiring many tasks, things, and responsibilities from the base point of the triangle which expands onward and upward.
The secret to aging is to know when the "inverted triangle" becomes top heavy and ready to collapse.
Wise to see this inflection point of life and start shedding the load and begin to taper the "inverted" triangle to a point in which you know have a "diamond" shape.
For when you achieve this you have truly reaped what you have sown and can afford to live a fruitful life in your later years.

Bought my 300CE new in May of 1988, just twin turboed it this year with only 63K original miles.

Don't remember any suspension changes on the M103/M104 engined cars, other then a Sportline option.

Direct opposite of you.
Believe in owning fewer finer things then a whole lot of junk !!!
This applies not just to cars, but homes, investments, etc.

Older you get, less you should have to do.
If you can't enjoy yourself now, there is no second chance !!

Not a kid, just turned 59.....all my "rides" are pristine..
Just traded my 2006 Corvette for a 1971 280SL, also own very nice 1999 C43 AMG, 2003 G55 AMG and of course my 1988 300CE TT.
Prefer owning only "landmark" or low production vehicles.
Why.....value !!!
59 is not a bad age. I was that once, and I think you missed my point. I do enjoy doing what I want to do. We like to travel to Europe and back and forth to Hawaii.In fact we should be in hawaii again right now, but I really really sprained my ankle. Next fall We plan to fly to the East Coast, rent a car, and check out the fall colors. We have incredible landscapes in Ca., but no fall colors. My point is I'm attempting yo get younger folks to understand they need to plan for retirement. I also get the feeling that you believe that the best things in life are things, when in fact they are not. Fall colors are some of the best things as are good friends, etc. As to my convoluted triangle: these are things I've collected over the years, and I'm getting rid of everything. By this time nxt year the 67 230SL, the 71 280SL, and the 71 3.5 coupe will be gone. Most of the others I'll keep.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
[QUOTE=hineywineries;2470485]
Originally Posted by RBYCC

59 is not a bad age. I was that once, and I think you missed my point. I do enjoy doing what I want to do. We like to travel to Europe and back and forth to Hawaii.In fact we should be in hawaii again right now, but I really really sprained my ankle. Next fall We plan to fly to the East Coast, rent a car, and check out the fall colors. We have incredible landscapes in Ca., but no fall colors. My point is I'm attempting yo get younger folks to understand they need to plan for retirement. I also get the feeling that you believe that the best things in life are things, when in fact they are not. Fall colors are some of the best things as are good friends, etc. As to my convoluted triangle: these are things I've collected over the years, and I'm getting rid of everything. By this time nxt year the 67 230SL, the 71 280SL, and the 71 3.5 coupe will be gone. Most of the others I'll keep.
Couldn't agree with you more....

Point I was making was to "accumulate" while in your younger years, but "eliminating" or "cashing out" as you get older.

This way you trade assets for precious time, which I'm sure you can appreciate.

Read me wrong when you think the I believe the "best things in life are things".
Life, Health, Happiness is first and foremost in a "human sense"...but the reality is by working smart and accumulating "things"", it truly makes our later years more enjoyable...
Old 10-25-2007, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
RBYCC FTMFW!!!!

I love my W124 but I love real estate and making films even more! I worked my butt off for 6 years, working 6-7 days a week and I still have time for the things I love....
Don Diego

Point I'm trying to make is that you work your butt off and attain and achieve, but the smart individual knows when it's time to take some money off the table.
I worked for years 24/7/365 moving from the Middle east to Southeast Asia earning a living.
Still do almost as much, but from the luxury of my home, which is less time consuming overall and minimal pressure.

My inflection point was around 2001 when I started to sell all my investment properties, second homes and waterfront land.
Took the proceeds and built a house on the water ( now my only piece of real estate ) in a growing coastal resort area.
End result zero mortgage.......

Plenty of time and money to indulge myself in the passions that I couldn't fully concentrate on since 1985 when I started my business.

Good advice for anyone be they twenty or thrity something is somewhere between my comments and Hineywineries !!!

Garfunkle are you listening ????
Old 10-25-2007, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Old 10-25-2007, 11:20 AM

It changes all the time
Sounds like we're really both on th same page. The real key point is to get young folks to realize that the merry go round music stops one day, and you have to get off and face reality. Life is fragile and it does eventually end. As I stated earlier, it is wise to buy a few less self indulgant items early in life and put a little away each month for later. It can mean the difference in enjoying senior years or driving a parts delivery truck to supplement Social security to buy food and medicine. A case in point is a long time friend of mine who spent his career working for Pacific Bell phone Co. here in California. The company offered to make a partial match if you bought shares in the company from your paycheck. My friend, Bob, took advantage of the offer. When he asked his co-workers if they were doing it, they all said they couldn't afford it, because they were making payments on this or that. Most were confused between the words "wants" and "needs". Bob kept contributing monthly and rolled it into Mutual growth funds. The end of the story is that Bob switched over to mutual income funds in his early 60s. He lives in a beautiful paid off home in Vegas and plays golf everyday. You can do that 365 days a year in Vegas you know. Hos co-workers are probably retired by now and probably driving a parts truck.

Last edited by hineywineries; 10-25-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM

It changes all the time
Garfunkle,
If you are trying to emmulate Art Garfunkle, Im sorry to disappoint you, because he is an a**hole. I used to service his Mercedes way back when in Marin County. If you want to see stars like Robert Redford, etc, drop by the restaurants in Mill Valley in the evening. By the way, Garfunkle, are you listening?

Laubapache,
We go way back on these MB boards. I can hear you snickering as I was twisting in the wind. You remember me as autozen.
Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 S14
Originally Posted by hineywineries
Garfunkle,
If you are trying to emmulate Art Garfunkle, Im sorry to disappoint you, because he is an a**hole. I used to service his Mercedes way back when in Marin County. If you want to see stars like Robert Redford, etc, drop by the restaurants in Mill Valley in the evening. By the way, Garfunkle, are you listening?

Laubapache,
We go way back on these MB boards. I can hear you snickering as I was twisting in the wind. You remember me as autozen.

I'm not haha, it's a nickname my pops threw at me a few years ago

*BTW, the problem was the steering linkage, getting it fixed*