E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

*sighs* car is dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i now drive a ford p71 i also own a 1988 ford f150 lariat
*sighs* car is dead

well my car is dead. the battery has been going bad for a few months now.it will not hold a charge. it died some time last night. leaveing me to a dead car this morning. in light i pulled out all my stuff for school fearing that it would. the car was so week when trying to start it last night to leave the pizza hang out with my friends. it almost did not start it was so week. the lights were week at idle when driveing they got bright.thats how i know it is not the alternator or starter. on a up side i got to painting the wood in my car befor it happend.*coughs badly*im sick as a dog right now to. what id like to ask is what kind of battery should i buy for the car that will last a long time with hard use.you know what i mean leaving lights on or playing music when the car is off ETC ETC.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:25 PM

W124
Invest in an orbital battery. Where I work people have turned in orbital battery cores and after testing them it showed they were fine. All they needed was some time on the charger. I have two optima red tops and one yellow top that I didn't have to pay for because some people thought they were bad. The best I've heard these things last was 7 to 8 years. Sure they cost $150 bucks but given you'll buy a standard acid filled battery every 3 years at roughly $90 a pop, its not such a bad investment.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM

yeah i might look in to those that battery.mine should of been changed out 3 years ago we have not got a new one since my dad bought the car 9 years ago. it is a old nasty looking thing that once was a battery ive cleaned it so many times to keep a charge going. dad never ran any thing more than the light on the car drove it to work and home that was it. i have music on all the time. and run alot of stuff so the old thing could not take it any more.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:29 PM

W124
If you can't afford one there's no big issue, just make sure you get the right battery. Don't just pick up the cheapest one you see. The W124 uses a group 48 battery if I'm not mistaken. Also purchase some of those felt washers to put over your terminals to prevent corrosion. They're only 99 cents but they'll save you a world of headache.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:38 PM

your telling me god the little guy in my head has been screeming at me all week to not screem **** every time some unforseen crap happens to my car.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:19 PM

1994 E320 Dragon Wagon
Unforeseen? You indicated, "the battery has been going bad for a few months now. It will not hold a charge".

That pretty much tells you a new batt should have been on the radar. Well at least it didn't strand you in a scary place.

NAPA has good batts at a decent price. Average life of any batt is five years max.

We "old" guys see trouble coming and address the problem before it's a strand-me situation. Easy to say now 'cause we've all been there.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:38 AM

well i got it going to day and left it running for 15 min. then shut it off waited a little it started and ran. so i left the car and came back 2 hours later to a dead car. so it is the battery i got 50 bucks that i have saved just for this. and what i mean by unforseen is the random stuff falling off the car witch is fixed right now.