E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Sudden AM radio static

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2007 | 05:47 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Sudden AM radio static

All of sudden last week my AM radio started to have much more static. I guess it could be my biodegradable wiring harness finally giving up, but I am kind of hoping it might be a common symptom of needing a new battery or alternator or something. I never had great AM, but all of sudden it got much worse. I can even get synchronized static with revs from the motor, which never happened before. I can also hear changes in the static when I mess with the AC controls and maybe other electrical things.

I can live without my AM radio, but I am afraid it may be a symptom of some other problem. It just seems weird that it changed quite suddenly. One day I started up the car and I had more static. First I thought it might just be a bad reception day, but it has continued for over a week now. It seems it must be something with the car. It has been about 5 years since I replaced the battery, so I am wondering if that could be the problem. If the battery needs more work from other electronics to keep it charged could it demand extra current that ends up in my AM radio? I may get a new battery anyway, since we are going into the winter and I have always read that it is good to replace the battery on a regular basis.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 11-13-2007 | 07:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Did you by chance get a new cell phone?
Old 11-13-2007 | 08:31 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
No new cell phone. I am about to lose the one I have, however, since they are discontinuing analogue service forever. I will have to be like everyone else and carry a cell phone. I will miss my handsfree phone in the car. It really was cool.

On the bright side, I will gain another storage area in my armrest. I think it will be perfect for my sunglasses. Now I always have to raise and lower the armrest to get access to the sliding door. I am planning to cover the bottom with felt to make it nice in there for my glasses.
Old 11-13-2007 | 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Wish I could help with your original question, BUT you still can have a handsfree in your car with a lot of newer cell phones. With the right headunit of course. Bluetooth equipped units are fairly cheap on ebay and in store. Then again, you could always go the AUX cable route.
Old 11-14-2007 | 06:39 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
Wish I could help with your original question, BUT you still can have a handsfree in your car with a lot of newer cell phones. With the right headunit of course. Bluetooth equipped units are fairly cheap on ebay and in store. Then again, you could always go the AUX cable route.
Thanks for the tip. At least I know it would be possible in the future if I keep the car. With the long list of repairs that my car needs, however, I just can't justify spending money on a new headunit. Maybe if I still have the car a couple of years from now and have decided to address all of the car's other issues, then maybe I could consider a headunit. I suppose I still wouldn't have functional buttons overhead that speak to me with the original voice of the car, but it would get back the basic handsfree functionality.