E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

So...What's wrong with my car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 12:50 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124's
Dave,

I still have the stock airbox itself but I have aftermarket K&N Filters. What were you thinking?
Old 11-20-2007, 01:59 AM

Range Rover Classic
There is a stall issue associated with high volume air boxes and U Turns.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
300D, 500E, E420
Bingo - Eliot nailed it. Quite a few 500E owners have experienced the U-turn stalling, which seems to only occur when a high-volume airbox is installed. But since you are using the stock airbox, that is not part of your problem. The type of filters shouldn't matter. I think the next step is to see what the fault codes are.

:o
Old 11-25-2007, 02:25 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Another problem with my car.

Narrowed it down to the Fuel Pump.

My question is - How do you replace the Fuel Pump? Can anyone give me a DYI for it? Also, I'm guessing I'll have to replace two of them along with the filter? Any help will be appreciated!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by ChrisDPham
Thursday was a weird day for my car.

The whole issues starting happening while I was picking up a couple of my friends so we can head out to the bars. I got to my friends neighborhood and had to make a U-Turn. As I was making a U-turn, I was probably travelling around 10-15MPH in a sharp U-Turn, while I was making this turn 80% through my car turns off and completely shuts off. At this point all the warning lights come on. So, basically I put it back in gear and start it back up and it works fine.

Later on in the night while driving home around 4:45AM I was getting gas at a local gas station a couple miles near my house. After I fill up the gas tank, I get back in my car and my car completely does not turn over. I try for about 10 minutes then I give up my by girl friend calls her friend who lives down the street to come by and jump start my car. Thinking it's the battery, I try to start the car over again and nothing happens. We keep trying and trying and still nothing. So, we give up trying and just start trying to crank the car over and over to see if it'll give since apparently there is nothing wrong with the battery. At this point, I call AAA (Tow Truck) to tow my car home. Once the Tow Truck gets there - I decide let's try my car again and see if it'll start and laugh if it does and next thing you know it does.. after about 30 minutes. I'm home now and as able to drive it home and drop off my friend.

Anyways, what could be the problem with my car and why it would shut off like it did earlier while I was making my U-Turn and later in the night after I fill up the gas tank??? Keep in mind I have a 1995 E420.

Could it be the crank sensor? Air Flow sensor? I'm really out of ideas at this point.

Also, I noticed my throttle cable is loose - Can anyone please post pictures of their M119 W124 motors throttle section alone so I can compare it with my own? Thanks!

I had a similar problem on my 99 E320. where after the car was warmed up and when I stopped for whatever (traffic light, etc) then it would stall and turing the ignition key would yield no life signs. After it set there for a few minutes it would start again. It turned out to be the crank position sensor.
You need an inverted start bit to remove it. Try searching on W210 for that sensor and you should find more details on where it is and how to remove it (behind firewall driver side).
Get all you loose cables properly connected too. That may help, DUH..,.
Old 11-27-2007, 02:25 PM

Mercedes Benz
I once experienced a similar problem where it turned out to be a shorted loom to the alternator. The cables come off the frame and lead to the alternator, and as the engine moves, the cables move. With age, heat and constant vibration and movement, the cables become brittle. You may have to peel off the insulation to inspect it thoroughly..
-Just a thought..
Cheers.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
I like how he fixed it 3 days again and still hasnt posted what his solution was.

Newb status..haha..

Not contributing FTL...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:53 PM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
I like how he fixed it 3 days again and still hasnt posted what his solution was.

Newb status..haha..

Not contributing FTL...
I'm assuming its running strong now. 300e v. 400e Part II!
Old 11-28-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Yeah its running. But his engine problems before were more to do with a vacuum leak than anything.

Your engine makes most of its vacuum pressure when the throttle body is closed, so his low end was dead...
Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 AM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by rivcal4life
Yeah its running. But his engine problems before were more to do with a vacuum leak than anything.

Your engine makes most of its vacuum pressure when the throttle body is closed, so his low end was dead...
Thanks! You're my official spokesperson now.

Car is going into the shop tomorrow. So, we'll see whats the problem with my car lately. I'm hoping its all vaccum related and nothing too expensive since all the major things have been replaced already.

Got myself a W203 C-Class loaner. Damn, This rental makes me appreciate my W124 soooo much better. Everything about that car DOES not even compare to my E420. It's slow as hell too. My commutes to LA and back won't be fun anymore.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:41 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Update:

Anyways, Found out the problem with my car earlier today when I went to go visit it at my mechanic's.

So far... 60% of all the breather hoses has been replaced. Oddly, One of the injectors was disconnected so they reconnected it and now the engine is running smooth and free of rough idling and etc.

Anyways, Thought that was the end of the problem but turns out the fuel pumps are actually bad. Both are getting replaced monday. Hopefully that'll be the end of the problems since everything else has been checked and works fine.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-30-2007, 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Luuuuuuckkkk!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:45 PM

a TVR Cerbera Speed Twelve
Update:

Anyways, Found out the problem with my car earlier today when I went to go visit it at my mechanic's.

So far... 60% of all the breather hoses has been replaced. Oddly, One of the injectors was disconnected so they reconnected it and now the engine is running smooth and free of rough idling and etc.

Anyways, Thought that was the end of the problem but turns out the fuel pumps are actually bad. Both are getting replaced monday. Hopefully that'll be the end of the problems since everything else has been checked and works fine.

Wish me luck!
Time for an e500.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
One of the injectors was disconnected so they reconnected it and now the engine is running smooth and free of rough idling and etc.
Wow! ....so you ran for how long with a disconnected injector? Hope that didn't damaged anything....

Anyways, Thought that was the end of the problem but turns out the fuel pumps are actually bad.
My fuel pump relay was bad and I also had a weak fuel pump when my car did that. I only have one fuel pump so it's easier to replace. I think there is an auction for two new fuel pumps on ebay...

Good luck! Hope it's not too expensive...
Old 12-01-2007, 05:48 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
Wow! ....so you ran for how long with a disconnected injector? Hope that didn't damaged anything....

My fuel pump relay was bad and I also had a weak fuel pump when my car did that. I only have one fuel pump so it's easier to replace. I think there is an auction for two new fuel pumps on ebay...

Good luck! Hope it's not too expensive...

Who knows how long I've been running it with a disconnected injector... Most of the rough idling was caused by the main breather hose.

Anyways, I'll be getting Bosch fuel pumps installed monday. They aren't too pricey either - thank god.

I'm probably 800-1,000 into it with repairs so far.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:03 PM

'95 E420 SE
don't feel bad man....I went $1200 to replace two coolant hoses...no joke! These cars ain't cheap!
Old 12-01-2007, 06:47 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by ShanMan
don't feel bad man....I went $1200 to replace two coolant hoses...no joke! These cars ain't cheap!
Shannon... WTF!?

$1,200 for coolant hoses???
Old 12-01-2007, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
They aren't too pricey either - thank god.

I'm probably 800-1,000 into it with repairs so far.
What?! That's tooo much...I rather pay someone 100/hr to teach me how to do it.

WHAT!? WOW....did they test drive it with you in it? You got taken for a ride my friend...

I kept hearing all these high repair bills and i can't understand why it's more expensive to install two breather hoses than it is to rebuild a transmission on a muscle car. I mean with $1200 I can get one good for 600hp from tci...

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 12-01-2007 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:02 PM

'95 E420 SE
LOL! The multi-legged molded hoses that that tie the heater core into the system...they are located up against and under the firewall. They are buried under and behind lots of bits and it took a full day to get them swapped out. While they were there they changed the air filters, the HEPA filters for the interior that are under the windshield, and I also got new rotors and caps.

So, yeah, I simplified it, but it was still $1200!!!!!!

Caveat: within the first month of taking ownership of this car I swapped out the radiator myself in less than four hours...having never worked on a Benz before. I despise having to pay anyone to wrench when I can avoid it. Sometimes though, you have to pic your battles.

Last edited by ShanMan; 12-01-2007 at 07:05 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:30 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
What?! That's tooo much...I rather pay someone 100/hr to teach me how to do it.

WHAT!? WOW....did they test drive it with you in it? You got taken for a ride my friend...

I kept hearing all these high repair bills and i can't understand why it's more expensive to install two breather hoses than it is to rebuild a transmission on a muscle car. I mean with $1200 I can get one good for 600hp from tci...
Sorry. Haven't mentioned all the repairs so far.

I have a crack oil pan so that's being replace as well. I'm just estimating right now since I'll know the full price on Monday. It's fairly cheap though however compared to this fool I use to go who wanted to charge my way more to swap out the oil pan.

Oil Pan = $110
Oil Filter for Pan = $40
Labor for Oil Pan = $60

Breather Hoses Parts and Labor = $200 or something

Fuel Pumps x 2 = Roughly $420 or so

+ oil Change.

I asked the guy who usually works on my car how much he wanted for labor wise to install the oil pan and he quoted me $200!!!

Anyways, Is ELF Synthetic Oil any good? They might put that in my car right now. I typically use Mobil1 OW-40 Full Synthetic in my car.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
so it's 60 to change the oil pan???....I need to change mine because it has a hole in it but i kinda fixed it with JB weld and stainless steel....lol...

I can change the oil pan myself but i just hate having to rent a hoist...

Where is ur mechanic located?
Old 12-01-2007, 08:55 PM
CDP
MBWorld Fanatic!

W124's
Why do you need a hoist to change your oil pan? It's pretty straight foward on the M119 engine. I forgot what the oil pan looks like on the M103.

Yeah it's $60 in labor to change the oil pan. I thought it would be more - There's a lot of allen screws though.

My mechanic is fairly close to my house if you remember where I live. About 10-15 minutes away through streets from my house in Orange. I recommended a few W124s here to them - maybe they can vouch on how good he is. Ask Omar or Melvin.
Old 12-01-2007, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Well the crossmember is on then way when removing the oil pan. You have to lift the engine to be able to take out the oil pan because of that. I could use some wood blocks or something but I want to do it the right way. I've had a new oil pan since i got the car but i've never installed it because of that.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
300D, 500E, E420
Anyways, Is ELF Synthetic Oil any good? They might put that in my car right now. I typically use Mobil1 OW-40 Full Synthetic in my car.
Not to start an oil war... but I've not been impressed with the Mobil-1 0W-40. I've had fantastic results (and oil analysis) with Mobil-1 5W-40 'Turbo Diesel Truck' oil, aka Delvac-1. Don't let the name fool you, it's great for gas engines too. IMO, it's one of the best oils you can get. Look for the gallon jug at Wal-Mart. I use this in all my cars, gas & diesel. The oil analysis at 10kmi looks great.

Old 12-02-2007, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
AMGdave thanks for the tip, will look for it and maybe try it out. Is it less expensive too?

I use royal purple 5w-30 on my mustang but i've never trying it on my benz.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So...What's wrong with my car?