E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Just had to tell someone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Just had to tell someone

I just found out that a brand new BMW dealer is opening within one mile of my house. A Chrysler dealer moved out and the BMW dealer is currently refurbishing the site. The new 3-Series BMW coupe is probably my favorite car, at least the favorite that I can reasonably think about trying to actually purchase and own, so this is big news for me. I really think a W124 owner could be happy in a BMW 3-Series. They are renowned for their incredible road handling and they are true driver’s cars, so it seems it should be easy to love owning and driving one.

I am trying to make it until about 2010 or 2011 with my 1995 E320 and then I think I might like to try a slightly used BMW 3-series coupe. The main thing that stops me from just doing it now is the hope that new diesels will arrive that get 50 mpg or more. I sure wish they would send us a diesel 3-Series. I also don’t really want to rush out and spend $40K+ until I really have to. Oddly enough there are diesel E-Class Mercedes cars already, but I just don’t want one of them. I am pretty sure that I am done with the E-Class. I think I could like a C-Class diesel, however, if they ever appear on our shores. Then again the new C-Class styling does not really float my boat. Plus the C-Class seems to lose every time it is compared to the 3-Series BMW and as far as I know they are not building a Mercedes dealer near my house anytime soon. The other car dealers close to my home include Lexus, Honda, Nissan, and one each of the American car dealers. As I have said before, my wife’s Honda Accord is awesome in many ways. It isn’t like my W124 and I don’t really want to trade to one, but sometimes I think it might be a good decision if I could.

Anyway, I just had to tell someone that soon I will have a new BMW dealer within walking distance of my home. I guess some will say that is a good thing, because I will likely need lots of service on a BMW and I should get accustomed to walking if I buy one.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ksing44
I just found out that a brand new BMW dealer is opening within one mile of my house. A Chrysler dealer moved out and the BMW dealer is currently refurbishing the site. The new 3-Series BMW coupe is probably my favorite car, at least the favorite that I can reasonably think about trying to actually purchase and own, so this is big news for me. I really think a W124 owner could be happy in a BMW 3-Series. They are renowned for their incredible road handling and they are true driver’s cars, so it seems it should be easy to love owning and driving one.

I am trying to make it until about 2010 or 2011 with my 1995 E320 and then I think I might like to try a slightly used BMW 3-series coupe. The main thing that stops me from just doing it now is the hope that new diesels will arrive that get 50 mpg or more. I sure wish they would send us a diesel 3-Series. I also don’t really want to rush out and spend $40K+ until I really have to. Oddly enough there are diesel E-Class Mercedes cars already, but I just don’t want one of them. I am pretty sure that I am done with the E-Class. I think I could like a C-Class diesel, however, if they ever appear on our shores. Then again the new C-Class styling does not really float my boat. Plus the C-Class seems to lose every time it is compared to the 3-Series BMW and as far as I know they are not building a Mercedes dealer near my house anytime soon. The other car dealers close to my home include Lexus, Honda, Nissan, and one each of the American car dealers. As I have said before, my wife’s Honda Accord is awesome in many ways. It isn’t like my W124 and I don’t really want to trade to one, but sometimes I think it might be a good decision if I could.

Anyway, I just had to tell someone that soon I will have a new BMW dealer within walking distance of my home. I guess some will say that is a good thing, because I will likely need lots of service on a BMW and I should get accustomed to walking if I buy one.
Read how much you want to get rid of your 124 on this forum or another. I mean, come on mate, these cars are ageing and they would surely require some bits and bobs. I understand why you think the newer cars are better and I won't even go there because I agree with you. However, think of the 124 as a collector's item, a toy, or a project of some kind. Sure, the 124 today might not be as good a vehicle from A to B as perhaps an Accord, but hell, if you compare cars this way then you might as well not bother with your 124. Seriously man, no offence meant but I just think it's kinda unfair

I agree the new BMWs are great. I've had the privilege to drive my friend's E92 335ci on several occasions and bloody hell it was quick and fun to drive. But bear in mind that the BMW is built for this kinda thing, the 124 is surely not. If you are looking for more of a driver's car than a car which you can be sure your family is safe and comfortable in, then just dump the 124. To be honest mate I agree with you as regards the 124 in its entirety. The 124 is just not up to the standards of the modern cars and I am sure my family and my better half is safer in perhaps the ex 219. However, try to be fair to the 124 and not compare it with modern cars. It's going to lose everytime and if you hate it so much you have to compare it this way, you might as well get rid of it while it fetches you some $$.

Just my 2p mate,
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-18-2007, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
I've owned 2 BMWs and they have never needed a significant repair. They seem to be VERY well built. My first one had a passenger window that was binding in the track. They replaced the guide under warranty with no hassle and provided a loaner BMW for the 3 hours it took, AND washed and vacuumed my vehicle before returning it to me. Service has always been top notch, and I have never been disappointed with anything except the monthly payment and the damn brake dust that etches itself into the front wheels the first time you let it go a week without scrubbing it off. The W124 wheels get black and you can wipe it right off. The BMW wheels get black and some of the dust literally bonds to the wheel and becomes permanent.

I don't know how they are when they get older, but I would think that if you do the proper maintenance, they should hold up well. However, even the dealer told me that my experience is not typical. He says they "have plenty of work to do".

If you read the consumer reviews on Edmunds.com, the BMW consistently gets good reviews while the MB reviews typically are spotted with people who say things like "would never own another one" and "worse car I've ever owned" and "I wish I had my Honda back". Of course there are always the people who say things like "there's no _____, that should be standard!" Those people just didn't do their homework and unfairly give the car a poor rating.

I've driven the new 535xi, and it's a rocket. I can't imagine that twin-turbo inline 6 in the 3 coupe!

Another factor is that BMW has free maintenance for 4 years or 50,000 miles and they only require service once a year or every 15,000 miles so there's a very good chance you will get on that was properly maintained. With anything else it's a roll of the dice.

Last edited by shdoug; 11-18-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:43 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Iv known quite a few people who owned BMWs and had mostly complaints about them, especially the 7 Series but i have never heard anything too awful about the 3 series other than it is too small and the interior is weak but mechanically it is supposed to be the most well built BMW if that means anything . . .

I personally will never buy a BMW but what ever floats your boat TRAITOR !
Old 11-18-2007, 07:52 PM

1986 300E
You could allways buy a w124 thats been completly refurbished so its like a new car.
I plan on doin this to mine. think of it like a note, once a month, put money aside to spend on your car. upgrade and update, ad all the lil bits and peices that new cars have.

From what i understand, the 3 series is pretty good. Im just not fond of them. a guy i work with knows alot about BMW's. Ill try to talk to him on how he would compare the two.

Just remember, the 124's are one of the easiest cars to work on and fix up. basically, there a car for everyone. Wish they would just reproduce them brand-new... just upgrade the basic stuff like people are doin allready. Any money your 124 pulls out your pocket, is the same amount that a new car will. and at least you know all the problems that your going to have a 124. On a new car, you gota pay a mechanic to fix it.

But it all boils down to.
Do you ENJOY your 124?
If yes - make it Your car.
If no - Buy a 3 series BMW

Old 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM

BMW E46 M3
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
Iv known quite a few people who owned BMWs and had mostly complaints about them, especially the 7 Series but i have never heard anything too awful about the 3 series other than it is too small and the interior is weak but mechanically it is supposed to be the most well built BMW if that means anything . . .

I personally will never buy a BMW but what ever floats your boat TRAITOR !
The 7-series is not representative of the rest of the BMW line in terms of reliability. For the most part, they are very high maintenance. A 740i will run about $100/month on average in repairs. God help you if you get a 750i. Imagine your car with a very unreliable V6, but you also have two engines. So instead of buying one of something to fix it, you buy two.

3-series are great cars. If they've been well cared for, they're very reliable for the most part. The only problems we've had on our M is a bad wheel bearing at 65k miles and a problem with the TPS at around 52k, which my dealer was nice enough to throw under warranty, even though we were 2k miles over.

Good luck with whatever you do. You really can't go wrong.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:04 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by floodkid
You could allways buy a w124 thats been completly refurbished so its like a new car. I plan on doin this to mine. think of it like a note, once a month, put money aside to spend on your car. upgrade and update, ad all the lil bits and peices that new cars have.
Any money your 124 pulls out your pocket, is the same amount that a new car will. and at least you know all the problems that your going to have a 124. On a new car, you gota pay a mechanic to fix it.
But it all boils down to.
Do you ENJOY your 124?
If yes - make it Your car.
You do make some valid points and I do think about doing the exact same thing you have described. I may even choose to do it. Right now, however, I am thinking it would be more cost effective and reasonable to think about switching to a newer vehicle. I do love and have loved my W124, so it is not easy. That is why I keep coming back here to get opinions about the things I am thinking about for the future. I do take some bashing for even considering it, but I can take the heat to get help with my fact finding. The guys on here are not an easy sell for a car other than a W124, so this is a good place for tough scrutiny.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
I apologize, if I came off as condescending or a know it all. I am the first to admit that I am far from the most knowledgeable person on these forums. In fact, I am not even a DIY mechanic. I have to rely on others for their knowledge and technical skills. I am a perfectionist, however, so I will usually find a way to get it “right”, once I start down a path. As a result, I cannot live half-baked solutions and it can cost me quite a bit of $$$ when I have to fix a mistake.

Once again, I apologize if I sound like a know it all. I admit that I have very limited experience. Based on the all the things you have done to your car, I think it is safe to say that you must be more knowledgeable about the W124.

Isn't it great to own a W124?
Old 11-19-2007, 07:00 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by shadowgriffen
Are you saying I would feel differently if I were a DIY mechanic and could fix the head gasket, front timing cover, wiring harness, transmission, and AC compressor myself? Funny thing is that I did go out and buy a decent jack and some jack stands so I could adjust my vacuum modulator myself. The dealer seemed clueless and my INDY doesn't like to get involved with the transmission. I had to do it myself. I also did some bowden cable adjustments along with the vacuum modulator adjustent to tame my 3/4 shift flair. Hey does that make me a DIY mechanic?
Old 11-19-2007, 09:36 AM

1986 300E
Yeap!
so keep fixing more and more.
you could fix it and make it work for a long time
or
worse that could happen is youll break something and have to buy a new part, a part that probably should be replaced anyway.
replace the part yourself, cause you know how it works sense you broke it.

win-win situation
Old 11-19-2007, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeap!
so keep fixing more and more.
you could fix it and make it work for a long time
or
worse that could happen is youll break something and have to buy a new part, a part that probably should be replaced anyway.
replace the part yourself, cause you know how it works sense you broke it.

win-win situation
Unless of course you actually have a life and wish to spend time with your family, etc, etc, etc.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:00 PM

1992 MB 500E
Consider upgrading to a 124 E500 or 500E and you'll be driving a GREAT luxury sedan that can meet many new car performances and it'll be a unique ride to boot. The lowered stance, flared fenders, special sport leather seats, bulletproof (except wiring harness!) and Porsche derived suspension really transforms the basic 124. You'll save plenty of $$$$ from a new car and still have all the basic safety equip (ABS, traction control, airbags,) luxury and well handeling car you will ever need and its not depreciating like a falling rock!!
Old 11-19-2007, 09:35 PM

Just f*%cking well fix the car or get a new Chevy Aveo - but for crying out loud man, give it a rest...

Jaysuus...
Old 11-20-2007, 06:07 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by bluecoupe

Just f*%cking well fix the car or get a new Chevy Aveo - but for crying out loud man, give it a rest...

Jaysuus...
This didn't start out as a bashing post, but I hear you. I joined a BMW board, but I will probably be around to ask for repair tips for a little while longer.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Yeah, seriously..... I understand where you are coming from with your W124 however its a car that will be kept on the road by passion and sometimes obsession, and usually only admired by those who do the same. It's old but has an eternal look, its becoming expensive to maintain, but is an engineering masterpiece. Go get a BMW. Come here for help with your W124, I've noticed you have posted countless threads on your problematic W124 on many other MB forums and they just keep coming. Make up your mind, several people on several forums offered to even buy your problematic car from you! Buy the Honda or buy the BMW, however, I hope you will always remember the W124 and what you have learned from it but for god sakes BE HAPPY!! Stop flooding the forums with this fine line controversy, you need to understand that what your suggesting is far from needing help or DIY tips. Its asking the forum members to help you justify buying another rival, or even worst.....a foreign car! Let us know what you end up doing, don't drag this out mate! Best of luck fellow W124 brother!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet

Last edited by RHW; 11-20-2007 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is a German Tank
Lol
Old 11-20-2007, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, I guess ksing44 knows who his friends are NOT. I think if you don't like what he's saying, don't post. It's better to be silent then rude. It looks like he has the same issue I did; the car is rewarding, but takes so much to keep it up. He's not saying the car is crap, just that it may not be the best choice for him.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts, especially those with problems. Since this forum is based in America, and most of the members are in free countries, then freedom of speech should rule as long as we're not flaming others.
Old 11-20-2007, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
Originally Posted by shdoug
Well, I guess ksing44 knows who his friends are NOT. I think if you don't like what he's saying, don't post. It's better to be silent then rude. It looks like he has the same issue I did; the car is rewarding, but takes so much to keep it up. He's not saying the car is crap, just that it may not be the best choice for him.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts, especially those with problems. Since this forum is based in America, and most of the members are in free countries, then freedom of speech should rule as long as we're not flaming others.
whatever man. he's saying things we don't like, why do we need to be quiet? free speech and all that. i think the main issue people have is that for as long as most can remember, dude has been on here saying how much he dislikes and/or wants to sell his whip, has problems, expensive to fix, etc., but never actualy does anything about it. now, i'm sorry,but there's only so many times you can listen to the same song before you have to hit 'next'. and basically everyone is hitting next. i mean seriously, what was the point of this thread? you're nt a fan of these cars yourself, but at least you stepped up and bought something else. granted, you bought a dodge, but still.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/215830-just-few-more-repairs-then-goodbye.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/208755-i-guess-i-have-keep-now.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/138409-i-may-give-up-my-1995-e320.html

plus all the posts, on this site and many others. trust me, i feel the pain of someone who has to pour cash to keep the car he likes, but at the same time, we don't need to hear about on a regular basis, for 2 or 3 years. i think bluecoupe said it best a couple of posts up. in fact, that was the funniest thing i've read in a WHILE!

Last edited by ZedStyle; 11-20-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Okay, good. I thought I was the only one getting aggravated......
Old 11-20-2007, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
I think this thread has run its course.

I don't think additional postings are necessary from anyone.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
you'e not a moderator YET, buster...!
Old 11-20-2007, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Will never be one on THISSSSS forum...perhaps the other, cooler one, eventually.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

92 500e, 95 E34 525I Touring
Are you saying I would feel differently if I were a DIY mechanic and could fix the head gasket, front timing cover, wiring harness, transmission, and AC compressor myself? Funny thing is that I did go out and buy a decent jack and some jack stands so I could adjust my vacuum modulator myself. The dealer seemed clueless and my INDY doesn't like to get involved with the transmission. I had to do it myself. I also did some bowden cable adjustments along with the vacuum modulator adjustent to tame my 3/4 shift flair. Hey does that make me a DIY mechanic?

I did mine with the car on the ground. And mine is lowered

Anyways. Ignore the irrationality in this thread man.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dude, you are an A@#. I can't believe you don't love your W124. My dad gave me mine 2 weeks ago and I have not had a single problem. My friend bought his W124 for $1000.00 a whole month ago and all he had to do was replace a light bulb. He and I are DIY mechanics. We replaced the light bulb and sprayed the rear lenses black to be cool. Next we are going to tint the front windshield really dark to be even cooler an stuff. I am looking to get wheels that are way too big and I don't care if they rub. I might use a come-a-long to pull the fenders out really wide like flares. I might even get a big exhaust that sticks out so i can make a lot of noise when I come home to my dad's. I am the coolest dude that I know that has job and stuff.

Dude my car is great!! I depended on it to get me to school and back every day since I got it two weeks ago. I would definitely trust it to take my whole family on vacation to the local dairy queen up the street. The transmission only slips a little in reverse, but I don't think it is a problem. The check engine light and the light thing that looks kind of like brake pads were on, but I just pulled out the bulbs. I might have an oil leak, but you can not really tell since my dad makes me park on the grass at our house. My antennae doesn't go up, but I don't use the radio at all since I just use headphones for listening to my cool songs playing from by cellphone. Man you just don't really know how great these cars really are. They were engineered like no other car ever made.
Speechless.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.