E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

mercedes wannabe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ford explorer
Post mercedes wannabe

Hi everyone
i am looking into getting a mercedes w124 models but have not much of an idea about owning one.
i like the way they look and more so i was in an accident in a jap car and thats whats makes me want a safe reliable built car like a benz.
I am looking at 1986- 92 300E or 1993-95 E320 or E420
what are the diffrent specs on these cars and driving feels
gas milage and ease of maintainance as i do most of my own work on my cars
which would be the best model to own first. i want something reliable that performs well but i do know that i have to pay for it but also on a budget type.
any info greatly appreciated.
thanks everyone
Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Which W124 to go for?

Hello,

I think a 124 is a good, solid car that can, if looked after well, last for ever.

To my mind, all Mercedes up to 1991 (I've never had newer so I can't comment) is potentially reliable, safe and, if it interests you, a bit cool!

To my mind, the fundamental thing is that they are "maintainable". By that I mean that it's relatively easy to get parts off, repair or renew them and then install them again. Obviously, there are some difficult areas and these I entrust to my local garage.

However, I do believe that owning a Mercedes is not necessarily cheap. You can save money by searching around, but quality usually costs. I think it was Rolls (or maybe Royce) who said, "The quality will live on long after the price is forgotten". Some truth in that, I feel.

I recently bought brake discs and pads for mine - original equipment and very reasonably priced. No need to even consider looking for "cheap" alternatives. I did see a recent post somewhere in which someone said something like, "Is this Ebay deal on brake parts worth pursuing?" Why look on Ebay for brakes. A bit like taking the family on holiday to Chernobyl because the hotels are cheap!

Well, that's my comment on Mercs up to 1991 and I've had a few (I've had several Mercs, too!).

I'm sure others will comment and some may take me to task.

We await with interest.

All the best.

RayH
Old 12-07-2007, 08:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Thumbs up

I'd say get the newest one with the lowest mileage possible....they are dirt cheap. The E320 would be your best bet IMO but a performer it is not regarded as. Super solid, easy enough to work on, parts for MBs have always been pretty reasonable and the build quality is arguably one of the best all-time for a mass production car (still) . Pretty good gas mileage with them too if you drive sensibly. You are aware of MBs safety reputation I see also.

Any W124 will be by far better than that Explorer you have now.

www.coventrymotorcar.com in Connecticut (yes, a shameless plug) has a great silver over tan 94' E320 with 99K that I could get you in for prolly around 5500$. 1 owner dealer serviced car. Floormats over the OE floor mats type of owner had it.

Having forums like this is an immense help and really, there should be no reason to ever take your car to a stealership again with places like this around. Go and get one asap ! That's my 2 cents.

Last edited by Jim's500E; 12-07-2007 at 08:06 AM.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:35 AM

'95 E420 SE
I agree with all that has been posted thus far, but I would offer this: While it is not the out-and-out hot rod that the 500E500 is, the E420 is a very capable car that has some legitimate V-8 performance to offer. If you can find the right car, the one with the most bang-for-the-buck, I would think it will be a '94-'95 E420....but every well-maintained w124 is going to be a great choice! Happy hunting.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:39 AM

1992 300CE
Honestly, Get one with a new head gasket. These headgaskets are one of the strongest ever made from mercedes. Not only that but there is this video on youtube where they test the durability of the TE wagon. Lets just say the only test that made it stop running was blowing up the whole thing!

ENJOY!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:24 AM

1986 300E
and actually, they got it running again. after letting it sit on fire. one of the vacumm saftey things had melted or something.

I love that video
Old 12-07-2007, 12:40 PM

ford explorer
Smile thanks people

Thanks everyone.
i like the w124 and am willing to pay allittle more to maintain quality and safety as well as driving in style. i m o the w124 is simply the best looking car out there.
i am looking at a 89 te wagon with 170k miles but has had the head rebuilt 30k ago but it has a stalling issue with concerns me a bit.
i would like a 93- 95 E320 because of its dohc engine but will settle for 300e none the less.
any ways thanks for the comments