E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

My next car is going to be a Lexus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
My next car is going to be a Lexus

I just bought a brand-new '08 Lexus RX350 AWD for my wife. What a car! That's as close as you can get to an absolutely perfect automobile! A superb blend of styling, handling and unquestionable quality. I've been to the ClubLexus forum recently and it it interesting to see that people there are talking about mods, places to get floor mats, or exchange ideas on how to play with Navigation systems. Then I go to the MBZ forum and see people *****ing about defective this and broken that. And I am not talking W124 old-car forums. No, I am talking 2008 MBZ models!

I am a second owner of a '94 E320 with 145K miles. Every nightmare listed on this forum had happened to me in the past 9 years. Leaky head gasket, $1000wiring harness (problems of which my local dealer "never heard of before") and all kind of little annoying crap. I don't want to list it all because it would take way too much space. I am 43-years old and don't abuse car and it still brakes all the freaking time!

So, hereby I solemnly declare, that this is my third and last Mercedes. Next December, God willing, (no, I am not a muslim) I am getting me a '08 Lexus IS350 or a GS350. May be in 20 years, if MBZ learns how to build cars half as good as Lexus is, I will consider trying one again.

There you have it. Now I am ready for your hate mail.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
my old 202 had problems all the time too, bought it from a wholesale dealer with the lame 2year after market warranty that didn't do ****. The car was breaking all the time so I decided to get something new from the benz dealer them selves. I bought a new 06 C230 2 years ago and the car has now 68,000km and still runs brand new not a single problem or flaw yet. I still get all the advantages of a new car like if my car breaks down when I'm on a trip benz will take care of my hotel costs etc. Also love to abuse their loaner cars

Anyway it's too bad mercs gave you such a hard time, try to give a new or almost new benz a chance, make sure it has warranty and star certified by the dealer.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Let me go dig up Ksing44's phone number for you.....you two would get along!

And just for the books...long live Toyota!

Last edited by appatula; 01-05-2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: the 44 after Ksing...
Old 01-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Lexus GS300, 2007 Lexus GS350
Boy do I understand. I got my wife a 95 C280 and it was in the shop more than some of the staff at mercedes. I already had a lexus so I got one for my wife and we've never looked back.

Hopefully, one day benz will be better and we can try again.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:59 PM

1989300CE(sold),1996Accord,02CBR954
Originally Posted by appatula
Let me go dig up Ksing44's phone number for you.....you two would get along!

You might as well add me to that crew. Even though I love the stylings and ride of my merc It was a peice of ****.And Im done with em
Old 01-05-2008, 06:14 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Thank god, one less person on these forums with bad taste
Old 01-05-2008, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
Amen.

http://clublexus.com/forums/index.php
Old 01-05-2008, 07:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Youngtimer
there's no arguing with lexus quality, i don't blame you on choosing a new lexus over a new mercedes.
your car is 14 years old though, and as many problems as you've had with it, you would have had at least as many with most high-end vehicles of the same vintage. hopefully your new lexus will hold up well.
i would love to get a GS from the previous body style myself, i love them, but i don't know where i would park it, since the benz will never be sold.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:45 PM

ML320
i`ve owned mercedes since 1980, my wife and two kids were driving in our 87 300te and a pick up turned into there lane and hit them head on, the truck ended up on the hood and on fire, the two kids were in the back seat and did not even get a scratch, my wife s only injury was a fractured ankle from the brake pedal that got pushed up from the left frt wheel the air bag went off she had no injury`s except her foot. Try that in a toyota!!!! my family is worth more to me then a 1000.00 dollar harness. medical bills would be a lot more, thats if they live
Old 01-05-2008, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by appatula
LOL, so true. Cannot argue with the dependability, but life is too short to go through it in a Toyota.

Lexus/Toyota is for the "point A to B" crowd not the "your car should excite you every time you turn it on crowd".
Old 01-05-2008, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
What is the point of posting in a mercedes forum if you don't even own a mercedes...? Also, lexus has copied mercedes for years in terms of design and technology, but since they never lead with technology they always have more time to perfect it. Mercedes was in a pinch with the new jap luxury cars on the market that tried to copy the mystique... but they will NEVER get it right. If you think a lexus has the same feel as a Benz, you are sadly mistaken. It is a TOYOTA, which is fine for an appliance car, but why pay $20k more to have an L on your hood than a T? Toyotas will never have the same "tank" feel that a mercedes has and to compare a w124 benz to a lexus that is 10 years newer is not fare... especially since these cars are all second and third hand cars now.

Lexus topics should be banned from this forum and all people who complain about having to put money into their car, ie maintenance costs, should go buy a bus pass.

I too can attest to the value of having more german steel around me in a crash situation and no toyota will ever match the feeling of security that a Benz has. I have been through many parts yards and the Benzes always fare much better than the tin can and plastic jap cars.

Last edited by myfirstbenz; 01-05-2008 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 E63
I'm a frequent lurker of ClubLexus and occasional poster (since late '05, early '06 ) and it's not as perfect as you make it sound over there.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by Timeless
LOL, so true. Cannot argue with the dependability, but life is too short to go through it in a Toyota.

Lexus/Toyota is for the "point A to B" crowd not the "your car should excite you every time you turn it on crowd".
I agree, however, that was more or less my form of mockery

on a better note......long live Mercedes, because they do.
Old 01-05-2008, 09:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by myfirstbenz
What is the point of posting in a mercedes forum if you don't even own a mercedes...? Also, lexus has copied mercedes for years in terms of design and technology, but since they never lead with technology they always have more time to perfect it. Mercedes was in a pinch with the new jap luxury cars on the market that tried to copy the mystique... but they will NEVER get it right. If you think a lexus has the same feel as a Benz, you are sadly mistaken. It is a TOYOTA, which is fine for an appliance car, but why pay $20k more to have an L on your hood than a T? Toyotas will never have the same "tank" feel that a mercedes has and to compare a w124 benz to a lexus that is 10 years newer is not fare... especially since these cars are all second and third hand cars now.

Lexus topics should be banned from this forum and all people who complain about having to put money into their car, ie maintenance costs, should go buy a bus pass.

I too can attest to the value of having more german steel around me in a crash situation and no toyota will ever match the feeling of security that a Benz has. I have been through many parts yards and the Benzes always fare much better than the tin can and plastic jap cars.

Whole heartedly agree!
Collapsible steering columns, laminated safety glass, crunch zones, ESP, ABS, wedge pin door locks, first to implement crash testing, the list goes on. Mercedes is no doubt the leader in automobile safety and quality and has been since the dawn of the automotive industry. Lives that MB engineering has saved is well documented on data files on the National Highway and Traffic Safety Association

However, to each his own. I talk from experience as well, This was my car......and Mercedes Benz SAVED MY LIFE.

I walked away.

The defense rests.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 112 Likes on 73 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
+1 lol
Old 01-05-2008, 10:41 PM

ML320
could not of said it any better, way to go
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by Arnie
I just bought a brand-new '08 Lexus RX350 AWD for my wife. What a car! That's as close as you can get to an absolutely perfect automobile! A superb blend of styling, handling and unquestionable quality. I've been to the ClubLexus forum recently and it it interesting to see that people there are talking about mods, places to get floor mats, or exchange ideas on how to play with Navigation systems. Then I go to the MBZ forum and see people *****ing about defective this and broken that. And I am not talking W124 old-car forums. No, I am talking 2008 MBZ models!

I am a second owner of a '94 E320 with 145K miles. Every nightmare listed on this forum had happened to me in the past 9 years. Leaky head gasket, $1000wiring harness (problems of which my local dealer "never heard of before") and all kind of little annoying crap. I don't want to list it all because it would take way too much space. I am 43-years old and don't abuse car and it still brakes all the freaking time!

So, hereby I solemnly declare, that this is my third and last Mercedes. Next December, God willing, (no, I am not a muslim) I am getting me a '08 Lexus IS350 or a GS350. May be in 20 years, if MBZ learns how to build cars half as good as Lexus is, I will consider trying one again.

There you have it. Now I am ready for your hate mail.
The thing is, the technology exists to build a dependable car. If Lexus can do it, why can't MB?! WTF is wrong with those German engineers to put unlucky people through the agony on spending so much money on a car and having it bring nothing but misery? Great, it's a tank. I don't plan on crashing it and if I do, I expect to get hurt. Crash test ratings of most MBs are no better than those of most Lexus. They all have to pass the NHTSA standards or they can't sell them. That's good enough for me. Besides, we;re talking about the W124 here. Not exactly an "excitement at every turn" kind of car. Most modern cars will take a curve as fast.

Bottom line: what is MB's excuse for building a car with so many things destined to break? Why won't they build it like a Lexus so we could have the best of both worlds? There are '95 Lexus ES300s on the road with 200,000 miles on them that still have the original AC evaps, transmissions, wiring harness, etc, etc. How can you defend a great car that breaks down often?

Read the consumer reviews of any car on Edmunds.com. It doesn't matter what the car is, if it's problematic, that person gives it a very low rating. They even rate it low in areas that have nothing to do with dependability such as Driver Comfort. Why don't they give it a good rating in Comfort just because it's unreliable? Because when an unreliable car owns you, nothing else matters. It make your life hell on earth and it doesn't matter if it's a "great" car or not. If a car is just a hobby, then great; buy a fun car. But if you depend on it to fit into your budget and see you through your commute faithfully day after day, it just has to work. Every time, flawlessly.

I hear ya, Arnie! No hate here.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
This argument was won a long time ago..... sell your MB's, stop complaining, then go register on some other forum. Troublemakers
Old 01-06-2008, 01:01 AM

I walked away.

The defense rests.[/QUOTE]WTF! did a semi flip over on your car?
Old 01-06-2008, 01:18 AM

95' E320 Wagon (gave to father) 15' VW TDI Wagon, 05' X3, 97' F150, 99' Buell S3
There is something for everyone. Enjoy your Lexus. Post us when your car is 14 years old with 160,000 miles and let us know how you feel about the experience.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by danholm
There is something for everyone. Enjoy your Lexus. Post us when your car is 14 years old with 160,000 miles and let us know how you feel about the experience.
http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/L...exus1stGen.htm
Old 01-06-2008, 01:46 AM

CL203 & sprinter
mercedes can kiss my *****.
worked my *** to buy one and they treat me like **** at the dealer.

my merc rolled off the floor with pre existing problems..

Jap cars all the way..
Old 01-06-2008, 01:47 AM

'91 Legend coupe, '06 C230
some of you make it sound like you'll die in a lexus in a crash, which is totally untrue! This is a benz forum so it's not surprising so many people defending their brand. Lexus is the next in line on my list. Sure lexus has its own share of problems but not as many. So many benz owners are scared to death to keep the car after warranty and that alone tells alot about quality of the vehicles. No doubt benz makes safe cars but so can lexus or even hyundai/kia.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:39 AM

08 Lexus GS350 AWD. 08 Lexus RX350 AWD - wife's. 94 MBZ E320 - still have it.
Well, I expected to recieve much more of hate mail and even couple of death threats, so I am surprised a little. As far as comparing apples to apples, my nephew owns a '93 Lexus LS400 with over 200K miles and the only problem h had was an instrument cluster going dark couple of years ago, which took $1.99 part from Radio Shack to fix. That's it, period. Find me a '93 MBZ with similar record and I will eat my laptop. Remember folks, if it wasn't for crappy MBZ quality, there wouldn't be a Lexus out there.

I still love MBZ styling an handling, but as I get little older the reliability becomes important. Oh, and one more thing. I am not leaving this board just yet because I'll still keep my MBZ for another year and I am sure it will break few more times, so I will need repar info.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:07 AM
Geh

2007 GL500, 2007 E280
Simple Comparison

Mercedes-Benz vs Lexus

Mercedes-Benz revolutionizes the car industry with it's cars.The S class is years ahead in technology compared to every car maker except for Bmw

Lexus Japanese aren't really capable of making anything on their own.You may think Japanese are really inventive but they are not they just take technology from other countries and make it available to the public for cheaper prices

Of Course your going to have problems and bugs with New Technology, You pay money to have the better things First just like anything, You have people who payed $1500 for a Dvd player when they first came out, 5 years later you can pick a dvd player up for $40

Really Lexus is Just a Copy cat model of a Mercedes-Benz, Newer Cars without Outdated Technology, that just tends to last longer then cars Released earlier with the same technology

Enough Said

So If you Love Lexus So much Stop Having a ***** about Mercedes-Benz so much, If you like a Lexus you like a Lexus, Dont give a ****! Just Dont bring that trash onto these Forums.

We Dont ***** About Lexus, So Dont ***** About Mercedes-Benz

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My next car is going to be a Lexus