E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

what are the symptoms of faulty OVP?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 04:49 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'86 300e
what are the symptoms of faulty OVP?

its turning into a great summer here in Sydney! The great thing about this city is that its almost always good weather, summer or winter, and once you know your way around the bicycle gets a lot more use than the car. Which is just as wel 'cos the poor ol' merc aint too reliable - well its 22 years old, hell I wasn't that reliable when I was 22 - maybe it'll settle down like me by the time it gets to 50.
I know I've seen this before - what are the symptoms of a dodgy OVP relay?
I got a cut out the other day - hot day, aircon on 3, car ran ok, left it sitting for a while, started fine then afetr about 2 minutes cut out, rested 5 mins started again then cut out after a couple more miles. Did it again before I got home. I think the fuel relay is ok.
cheers
Old 01-11-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by tokleman yanass
its turning into a great summer here in Sydney! The great thing about this city is that its almost always good weather, summer or winter, and once you know your way around the bicycle gets a lot more use than the car. Which is just as wel 'cos the poor ol' merc aint too reliable - well its 22 years old, hell I wasn't that reliable when I was 22 - maybe it'll settle down like me by the time it gets to 50.
I know I've seen this before - what are the symptoms of a dodgy OVP relay?
I got a cut out the other day - hot day, aircon on 3, car ran ok, left it sitting for a while, started fine then afetr about 2 minutes cut out, rested 5 mins started again then cut out after a couple more miles. Did it again before I got home. I think the fuel relay is ok.
cheers
Dodgy? Dodges don't have OVP relays!
( JK.)

On the M103 I think the OVP failure is most evident in the cold start circuit and not hot running, but that could be wrong. I know they were much more an issue on the M104 engine than yours.

How long has it been doing that? How hot was it? Could it be questionable (dodgy) fuel?

PS- Not making fun of your down-under lingo. I enjoy the little differences. There's a guy from the UK who works with me so I'm familiar with the terms. And if Hillary gets elected the population of Sydney is probably going to double with American refugees so look out!
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM
Almost a Member!

'86 300e
sometimes I wish it was a $^**&# Dodge. It's only done it once so far - havent had a reason to drive it since - I put a new distributor and rotor on before xmas and it was running sweet as. Had the fuel relay checked when I replaced the dizzy too, 'cos I thought it might have been a fuel problem that caused it to break down when it was actually the dizzy arcing - it had fine cracks in the rotor.
I pulled the top off the OVP and everything looks ok. Lucky I dont really rely on the car for transport, I even quite enjoy the puzzle of trying to figure out what its latest wrinkle is, in a masochistic sort of way. It's unfortunate that these early models dont have a diagnostic circuit like a couple of later model cars I've had - it can help a lot to narrow down where to start looking for a problem.
Hillary,Giuliani,McCain - hey we've just been through an election here, it was about a quarter of the length of the marathon you guys have to endure, I reckon there'll be refugees on the way just to get away from the lead-up.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Almost a Member!

'86 300e
sorry man forgot to answer your questions - it was a particularly hot day, had the aircon on 3 which is unusual for me (i've been wondering whether there might be a glitch somewhere in the aircon idle control electronics but havent had time to look at it yet)- I dont think the fuel would be a problem, I think I'd been running for about a week since a refill, so bad fuel should have shown up a lot sooner - I once got a tank of bad fuel in Williams Ariz. and I barely made it out of town (it's a mighty small town).