E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Noise From Rear End?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2002, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 S500
Question Noise From Rear End?

I've noticed that when I have the rear of the car up on jacks and try to move one of the rear wheels, it moves what I consider unusually far before the drive shaft begins to move. Maybe 5 to 10 degrees around. And there is a definite loud "clunk" that eminates from the rear when the driveshaft does finally "engage". And the clunk is getting to where I hear it when I initially accelerate or deaccelerate.

I have the factory service CD for my car. I seem to recall seeing at one time something about a required adjustment in the rear, and I'm thinking this may have something to do with the noise. But I can't seem to find what I'd previously read about this now.

Anyone got any suggestions? This is getting worse, and I'd hate to lock it up if I can repair it now.

Thanks!
Wendell
Old 11-23-2002, 10:11 PM
Almost a Member!

E420 Sport
Check your flex discs

What you describe is very likely to be worn flex discs. These rubber discs connect the shaft front and rear and when time gets on them they have a more than desirable play and make a clunk as you accelerate or deccelerate. Easy job.
Old 11-23-2002, 10:38 PM

axle?

I recently had my left rear axle go bad. It was clunking, especially out of right hand turns and uphill acceleration and occasionally on braking. Axle repair can be $700 (including labor)...

good luck
Old 11-25-2002, 08:22 AM

2000 S500
Re. The Flex Disc........

That was my first train of thought too. And one of them certainly contributed to the problem. But I replaced it earlier this year, and the other one remains in good shape to this day. So I'm still looking for something else. I hadn't thought about a bad axle though. I'll have to check that one out.