E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Gettin' my hands dirty!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Pete! Here we were, almost 2 years ago: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ht=audio+stock

and I was saying pictures coming. Just learned how to do it right from Zed + you.

That thread made me remember two details-
1: I love that 500/5, and after putzing around with other amps, chose it as my starting point- THAT helped me choose the pair of 8s on the 250x1 channel, as that 250x1 channel would be underpowered for 2 10s (and 2 8s have about the same face area as 1 10 with maybe faster response)

BIG HOPS & ZED: if I were not tied into the 500/5 amp, and had more power to play with, I would consider hacking in a pair of 10s in a bigger box under the rear deck- using more width there and cutting some 6s into the front doors instead of the rear deck. For me, the subs *will* fire into the car (my preference always), which is 1 reason some systems need more power and can go lower...and I get away with using a bit less power. 12v AMPLIFIER draw was a consideration also due to the age of these cars' alternaters...caps are installed to help there, since too much amp can hinder old cars' electrical systems.

Pete is right on, the single 10 in my wagon does go a tad lower. 2 8s with same amplifier power is very very close.

2: I started with Focals before this work- in the end, I ebayed them and landed with the Diamond Hex combo set up. The Focals were a little more expensive and I never tried their awe inspiring Utopia models- I was one model below them... (tested several Memphis amps and other components, selling them all off on ebay until I hit my current set up, a grand slam for my tastes --- still true 2 years later which makes the costs seem more worthwhile)

Looking back at that thread and 1 after it,
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=subs+12

I referred to the tri amp set up as liquid-sounding, and noticed I still use that description in this thread. I am quite hooked. Glad it helped you a bit!

But Pete...yours is bigger n mine.

Last edited by RHW; 03-23-2008 at 10:20 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
Originally Posted by RHW

I'd bet Big Pete's system rocks best + loudest
and I would look at the simplicity of that Infinity set up above.
Can he hit 143.2db on the scale? ...That's me at least.

But in all seriousness, it looks like BigPete's system is one of the best on here so far. It's just real nice/clean/organized. Just real simple.
Old 03-23-2008, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
thanks for all that info...! i think i'm going to go with a single 10, it will also minimize any cutting i need to do in the deck. i like to listen to my music loud, and still want a lot of bass, but i lost the need to make the ground shake a while ago. a single average sub will mean i don't have to go all out on an amp either, just pick up something simple.
thanks for the tips...
Old 03-23-2008, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
I think I know what you're going for Zed. If I were you, I'd go with a Type R, L5, or maybe even a L7...

They're good quality, durable subs that hit high and low.
Old 03-23-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
You guys should try the TREO Tsx 10" Subs or SSX but thats too much. They are affordable and sound pretty good. RE SE, XXX, DD subs are good too but for the price i'll stick to TREO.

I hava a single TSX in my car now and it's pretty damn loud at 400w rms, i'm pushing 600w rms @ 2ohms - 12.7 volts but i'm getting a 14v alternator soon so i'll see 900w rms...I've overpowered the sub and it kicks pretty hard...

I have a eclipse 12" SW8122DVC for sale...it's a good SQ sub for the price..

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 03-23-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 e320...sold the rest
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
You guys should try the TREO Tsx 10" Subs or SSX but thats too much. They are affordable and sound pretty good. RE SE, XXX, DD subs are good too but for the price i'll stick to TREO.

I hava a single TSX in my car now and it's pretty damn loud at 400w rms, i'm pushing 600w rms @ 2ohms - 12.7 volts but i'm getting a 14v alternator soon so i'll see 900w rms...I've overpowered the sub and it kicks pretty hard...

I have a eclipse 12" SW8122DVC for sale...it's a good SQ sub for the price..
I LOVE Treo subs. Very good quality at a very good price!

RE Audio is just outstanding. Check out these videos: http://realmofexcursion.com/featured/meade/index.html

(Especially the shop window one)
Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 300E 3.0 liter White Ext. Gray Int.
Yeah, thanks so much for the help. As soon as my finals are over for school I'm getting started on this!!! I should post some pics of my car sometime too. See what you guys think. I haven't done much yet, as I'm in college and the funds are limited. But I'll be cooping for a semester and I'll have money to burn on my benzo. Anyways, thanks again

PS: I think I'll either go with a kicker L5 or a boston accoustic.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
If you have money to burn and want a high end system get something like mcintosh, zapco, audison, or arc audio amps. You should also spend on a good EQ or sound processor. I came up on a RF 3sixty2 wich i like because I controlled everything with my PDA via bluetooth. I also used to have a RF symmetry epx2. As all things in my collection of stuff I used it got bored with it and sold it.