E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

How to fool the airbag?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S500
ooh ooh I just saw this on TV,

airbags work by a chemical reaction of the ingredients inside them, both chemicals while i cant remember what the hell they are, one is sodium I, well when they come in contact produce I thnk Nitrogen...Thats what like blows up the airbag, and fills it with gas.

As for how they are detonated I think its just an electrical current that is sent to the bag, I dont think its very involved at all. Just make sure that you have the right amount of volts to the right spot and it should trigger it. Saw this on Smash Lab, they just had it rigged to a battery, and when they connected the other cable to the other post to close the circuit...BOOM

one question tho...how do you plan to detonate it?? is there anything in the car that will send a current to the airbag when you get in a wreck at least not in the short amount of time necessary, bags only have a few seconds where they are efficient, they start deflating right away...that first initial explosion with gas is what they are for, would be hard to time it just right. does your car's ecu come prewired for airbags?

rig it to a switch tho and put one in the passenger side, that would make for a reall MEAN PRANK hahaha, no dont do that, lets just wait til one of those japanese prank shows do it, then watch, here in the states we can catch a lawsuit haha
Old 03-23-2008, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by donjuan45i

As for how they are detonated I think its just an electrical current that is sent to the bag, I dont think its very involved at all. Just make sure that you have the right amount of volts to the right spot and it should trigger it. Saw this on Smash Lab, they just had it rigged to a battery, and when they connected the other cable to the other post to close the circuit...BOOM
That's right. I've done the same some years ago. All that was needed was i 9v battery from a smoke detector.

one question tho...how do you plan to detonate it??
I am planning to use a bicycle pump. :-)
Lol.
I am planning to detonate it the same way mercedes intended to.

is there anything in the car that will send a current to the airbag when you get in a wreck at least not in the short amount of time necessary, bags only have a few seconds where they are efficient, they start deflating right away...that first initial explosion with gas is what they are for, would be hard to time it just right. does your car's ecu come prewired for airbags?
No, it is not.

rig it to a switch tho and put one in the passenger side, that would make for a reall MEAN PRANK hahaha, no dont do that, lets just wait til one of those japanese prank shows do it, then watch, here in the states we can catch a lawsuit haha
Haha. Would have been funny. Just wait till some one leans forward and set it off :-)

My car has pyro techical seat belt tensioners (no idea if this is the right name for it). This is basically the same thing, only without airbags. All 124s have this as standard. This ignites the belt tensioners the same way as the airbag. I remove the cable harness and the control box for this, and simply installs the extended cable harness for belt tensioners and airbags. I already have the seat belt fasteners with switches in them.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:12 PM

S500
oh the belt tensioners, I forgot about them, cuz basically I was thinking without any kind of system on the car to trigger the bags. well the bags would have to be triggered by you hahaha....

I can picture that

whoa whoa whoa, wait wait NOW!!! CRASH!!! Dam I was like 2 Seconds to early that time. haha

but yea I can see that working now with the belt tensioners, props to that, it cant be that simple, and careful when working with those bad boys. Easily leave some nasty burns, maybe even a broken nose if not careful.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:08 AM

oh the belt tensioners, I forgot about them, cuz basically I was thinking without any kind of system on the car to trigger the bags. well the bags would have to be triggered by you hahaha....

I can picture that

whoa whoa whoa, wait wait NOW!!! CRASH!!! Dam I was like 2 Seconds to early that time. haha

but yea I can see that working now with the belt tensioners, props to that, it cant be that simple, and careful when working with those bad boys. Easily leave some nasty burns, maybe even a broken nose if not careful.
It is not hard at all. Accually, it is plug&play. Just need to detach some plastic and the front seats.
As you say, one shuld be carefull when playing with the bags.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:32 PM

96 e320
Make sure your insurance Co. know you removed the srs, you don't want them finding out after a crash, not only your claim is likely to be denied, but also you may get adjustment to your premium, and non renewal letter at the end of your term