E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Squeaky blower fan: what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 w212 e350 wagon
Squeaky blower fan: what to do?

Hello:

This is my first post, and I apologize in advance if I violate any protocols.

I've just purchased a lovely '91 300 TE. The only fault I can detect is a squeaky heater and a/c fan. It's a little louder and more persistent than I'd like to live with, but I know these things can be really deeply buried within the maw of the dashboard.

My questions, then, are whether the bearings can be lubed or replaced, or if the entire motor or motor and fan assembly has to be replaced; how does one access it; and how hard is it to do so?

Many thanks in advance.

Kris Hicks-Green
Olympia WA
Old 04-13-2008, 04:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Welcome to the forum! Just watch your spelling and never say anything bad about your car and you will not violate the protocol.

I've heard most people use transmission fluid to lubricate it. I used turbine oil from a zoom spout oiler and it worked great as well. It's not really under the dash; you access it from under the windshield wiper motor.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/W124BlowerMotor
Old 04-13-2008, 06:24 PM

2011 w212 e350 wagon
Fantastic. Thanks, shdoug. I've bookmarked the link you provided, and will tackle the project next weekend. It looks a lot easier than I anticipated. I have a feeling that my neighborhood parts store doesn't stock turbine oil, however...

Kris
Old 04-13-2008, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
Originally Posted by Olyoop
Fantastic. Thanks, shdoug. I've bookmarked the link you provided, and will tackle the project next weekend. It looks a lot easier than I anticipated. I have a feeling that my neighborhood parts store doesn't stock turbine oil, however...

Kris
I got mine at an HVAC supply house. It was easy to come by since that was my profession. The blower is not that bad if you have good lighting and some time to work at your own pace. I was in a hurry in a badly lit garage in freezing weather- it was not fun.