E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

How loud should the fuel pump be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 w212 e350 wagon
How loud should the fuel pump be?

Hey, folks:

I'll try to limit my newbie questions to one a day.

And I'm really a newbie here. I picked up our new 300 TE today and got to drive it for about 35 urban miles. These are, as you've doubtlessly noted, wonderful machines. It's nothing in the world like my BMW e90, but that's fine; driving it is instead a stately event.

I did less inspection on this car than I do typically. I think this is in part because I've gotten cocky, partly because the car presented itself so well, and mostly because I have a broken leg and so am not excited about grubbing around on the pavement. I've noticed a few things already that I deigned to miss before I handed over the cash: speakers cut in and out, the tach's lightbulb's gone south, and I occasionally note a whiff of hot oil (despite the new head gasket).

So onto tonight's question: there's a steady, low hum emanating from the right rear whenever the engine's running. It doesn't rise and fall with speed, like a hub bearing might, and I expect that it's the fuel pump. SHOULD I be able to hear that from the driver's seat? Remember, this is a wagon (without a cargo cover), so there's no bulkhead to block the noise.

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your replies.

Kris Hicks-Green
Olympia WA
Old 04-15-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

89 300TE, and 68 280sel
oil smell could just be some residue on the block or manifolds from the work that was done, I wouldn't worry too much about that unless it persists. The speakers could cut out if the center console fader switch is bad due to coffee being spilled in it over the years, do you have a factory deck? it could be bad wire job if the deck has been replaced.

Are you sure the sound of the whining is from the rear? have you looked under the car at idle in park? I have a magnaflow exhaust on my car so it is a bit louder than stock... but the fuel pumps do make some noise, you could always turn on the radio to cover the noise
Old 04-19-2008, 12:17 PM

2011 w212 e350 wagon
Thanks, MFP, for the reply. It looks like you're correct about the oil smell. I don't see any leaks; just burnt-oil boogers from a steam clean done before I bought the car. And I'm guessing you're right about the fader switch.

I still think the oil pump is too load, although I admit it's a steady noise and not as worrisome as it might be. I'll replace its filter and see if that helps. I'll also try having a helper put a palm over the exhaust to see if that changes what I'm hearing.

Thanks again.