E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Bilstein B12 Installation: Chapter 2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Bilstein B12 Installation: Chapter 2

Having been impressed with the results so far, I felt I needed time, space and pace before making further judgements.

Over the past 2 days, I drove to northern France, mainly on motorways; a distance of around 800 miles for the return journey.

Conditions were mainly dry but with the occasional showers and buffeting wind during the showers. Traffic was mainly light. Driving style was mostly ‘outside lane progressive’ with long straight stretches, motorway bends and occasional, high-ish speed lane changes.

The car is very much improved. It is now a pleasure to ‘press on a bit’ at speeds up to 100 mph. Cornering is back to that Mercedes ‘on rails’ feeling and braking and lane-changing are accomplished with greater confidence and ‘authority’.

For a parts cost of £550 ($US 1100 or, if purchased in France around 800 Euro) this has been a 100% success. I resent none of it. This is, perhaps, not so strange given that the original springs and dampers had covered 200K Miles.

But has the basic problem been solved?

I’m not sure that it has! My feeling is that the symptoms of the problem are much easier to deal with now that overall damping is so much improved, but that the problem remains.

I am still able to detect a ‘twitch’ when, say, emerging from beside a lorry having passed it at 90 mph in the adjacent lane. Similarly when passing other vehicles. It’s as if the turbulence caused by others is causing mine to twitch more than I’d expect. During slightly gustier conditions, there was a moment’s weaving that’s typical of this car but not of my previous MBs.

To quantify this; I am now very confident in this car in most conditions and at up to 90 or 100 mph. I would still NOT be confident to explore the upper reaches (140 mph?).

Another key point is that of loading. I recall the problem being worse when the car’s heavily loaded. This 800 mile dash was with just me aboard so I’d expect better results.

So, I’m convinced that something is still amiss and am fairly certain that our experts (you know who you are!) in London and the south coast could pinpoint the problem. Sadly, I’m not likely to have the car over there any time soon.

So, the next step for me is a visit to the local test station where the ‘chef’ has promised a detailed investigation. I have explained the problem so let’s give him a chance.

Again, more as it happens!
Old 04-20-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Have you looked into beefier sway-bars for front and rear? Also, there was a user here who makes custom fabricated strut-tower braces (if I recall correctly) which may also help to eliminiate the body roll you are feeling.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:11 PM

'88 300CE
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Have you looked into beefier sway-bars for front and rear? Also, there was a user here who makes custom fabricated strut-tower braces (if I recall correctly) which may also help to eliminiate the body roll you are feeling.
The beefier sway-bars will improve the overall feel at high speed, but not by mutch... Cornering is a different story!
Ray, from what you are saying, and I don't speak verry good english, so I might be wrong, you felt some excessive body roll at high speed.
What wheel setup do you run? Tyres are extremelly important when it comes to this... The pressure, the tyre wall thikness, the overall dimensions and proportions...
Old 04-20-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
110 mph is great, 120 mph not so much

Originally Posted by rayhennig
To quantify this; I am now very confident in this car in most conditions and at up to 90 or 100 mph. I would still NOT be confident to explore the upper reaches (140 mph?).
I am very confident up to 110 mph, but I feel that I start to float a bit at 120. I have gone full speed on an empty road, 137 mph, but I did not feel confident at that speed. I could drive at 110 mph all day long.

On another point, like you, I think I do get blown a round a bit in gusty conditions. Considering the heft of the vehicle and the great aerodynamics, I am sometimes surprised that it happens at all. I’m not saying that it seems dangerous at normal speeds, but as I said, I am surprised that it happens at all.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:03 AM

300CE 24V Sportline 1991
High speed stability

Re swaybars, Saijin_Naib - I already have Sportline suspension so I'm assuming that should be sufficient, given that all is in good order.

Dan_c - I have had several tyre setups on this car: Continental Eco, Continental Premium, Uniroyal, Fulda and none have made this problem any better or worse - it's always been a feature of this car.

And ksing44, I believe, like you, that the car should do better. I am not comparing this car's behaviour to a new or even newish vehicle. I am comparing it to a 1985 500SEL and 1986 107 series 500SL, both of which I used to use at 140 mph all day back in the early 1990s.

Even our family 1980 280TE with 7 people and 2 roof boxes would hit 120 mph with more confidence than this 1991 300 Sportline. That is why I believe it should do better.

Thanks to all for comments and I'll keep you posted.

RayH
Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by rayhennig
I am comparing it to a 1985 500SEL and 1986 107 series 500SL, both of which I used to use at 140 mph all day back in the early 1990s.
RayH
Maybe it is your age. The early 1990s was quite a while ago. I know that when I was younger, I did all kinds of things with less trepidation. Youth often knows no fear. Back in the day, I remember driving no hands at 135 mph in my new 1976 Fiat Spider. I don’t think that Fiat was really more competent than my W124 and I do not remember feeling any kind of fear or lack of confidence. I was also a top climber for a tree company for a number of years and I only very rarely felt any kind of real fear. I respected the fact that I was taking substantial risks on a daily basis, but I just had very little real fear. I can’t say the same thing about how I feel if I go up in a big tree now. What is that saying, young, dumb, and full of something?
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 AM

300CE 24V Sportline 1991
Never thought of that ...

Age, yes, it all ties up now. That barmaid thought I was joking, the hands shake for 3 days after a session and I need glasses.

And my wife says I'm deaf - no, that is the barmaid!

Anyway, less of the off-topic stuff. I thought of the age issue and it may be a factor.

We'll get to the truth.

RayH

PS: There's no fool like an old fool. Er, I think that's what she said.