E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Got a unique problem..or so I think

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Got a unique problem..or so I think

On the highway above 45mph my car will wander to the left (steeringwheel remains center) I correct and then the car will wander right. If any of you have had a bad ball joint or loose tie rod end it wanders in a very similar way. ironically at about 95 -100mph it tightens up a bit and tracks more true but is still jacked. I got a laugh at the dealership when the tech (20 years old and obviously doesn't know much about the older benz). He told me that this is "par for the course with a W124 and they designed it to feel the road" (do any of your 124's do this...) My thinking is the Germans don't want the road to feel like it is steering them where ever it wants them to go....just a hunch.

Here is what I have ruled out.

Steering gear box (replaced it)
Ball joints & Tie Rods (thouroghly checked them and they are tight with no play at all.

Steering dampener (replaced it old one was shot but it didn't resolve the issue)

Tow in alignment. Tires have been on the front for a while and they are wearing evenly.

Wheel bearings. both sides in good shape.

The only thing I can think of is the following but I am looking for some input before throwing parts at it..

1. Possibly the cross link as the joints on it feel very loose. if you put your hands on it it moves front and back rather loosly but is tight right and left.

2. Maybe just an alignment issue?? don't think that allignment can create road wanderingboth ways just a constant pull.

3. I have a busted spring on the right side in the typical spot at the lower seat plate. I am not sure if a spring issue can effect the steering but I don't think it can.

4. on the right side there is a transition linkage that goes from the cross link and the right tierod. It is fixed to the frame and looks like it has some internal parts and a bushings. It is squeeking a bi which is a recent development which will need attention anyways. (dealer only $85.00)

5. ???? something I am not thinking about. maybe you have had something similar.

Any input would be great.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W124, W220 S500 4matic, W140 S500, CLS55 AMG
4. on the right side there is a transition linkage that goes from the cross link and the right tierod. It is fixed to the frame and looks like it has some internal parts and a bushings. It is squeeking a bi which is a recent development which will need attention anyways. (dealer only $85.00)

I think you are talking about the steering idler arm. There is a repair kit available that includes the top and bottom bushings and replacement hardware for $34.00 from Northside Imports in Lincolnwood, IL

I changed out these bushings and it tightened up the steering considerably.

Here is a pic of the kit -

Sam
Old 04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 E320 SE, 162,000 Miles (Sold)
I am thinking maybe the caster is out of adjustment on both sides. I would start with an alignment. If parts are worn so they can't align it, they will tell you which ones need to be replaced.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Check your bushings...
Old 04-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Thanks

I think for $34.00 and an hour of labor I will rebuild that Idler arm then take it in for an alignment.

Thanks