E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

--steering wheel squeak--

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
--steering wheel squeak--

i am hearing this wired scrachy squeak on my steering wheel and i dont know what it is?..... its not one of those loud ones that i hear sometiems on cars... this one you can only hear by holding the steering wheel and moving it left or right...

what could it be>?

ohh and i looked at the steering fluid and its about 1inch empty...? does it have to be full or not? there is no lines or indications to how much is needed
Old 04-23-2008, 03:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 ML-350 and 2007 ML-350
This probably has nothing to do with your problem but I had a '90 Mazda pickup that did the same. The cause was the carbon brush of the moving steering wheel making a scratchy sound as it slid along the dirty copper circular ring mounted on the steering column. It was visable by looking in the gap between the wheel and column. The purpose of the assembly was to complete the circuit between the horn button and the horns.
I could clean the ring and carbon brush with a piece of cardstock treated with paint thinner as I turned the wheel back and forth. WD-40 or contact cleaner may have worked as well. Just a thought........

Last edited by Retiree; 04-23-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by berti_00
i am hearing this wired scrachy squeak on my steering wheel and i dont know what it is?..... its not one of those loud ones that i hear sometiems on cars... this one you can only hear by holding the steering wheel and moving it left or right...

what could it be>?

ohh and i looked at the steering fluid and its about 1inch empty...? does it have to be full or not? there is no lines or indications to how much is needed
MY CAR IS CURRENTLY DOING THE SAME THING AND IT APPEARS TO BE THE IDLE CONTROL ARM ON THE PASSENGER SIDE WHICH CAN BE FIXED FOR ABOUT $40.00. iF YOU JACK UP THE CAR AND THE NOISE GOES AWAY IT IS A GOOD BET THAT IS YOU ISSUE.