E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1991 W124 250D Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 08:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 W124 250D
1991 W124 250D Issues

Hi guys, I posted this on another forum but didnt get many answers. This forum seems a bit more active and has already answered some other questions so here goes:

I have just purchased this car and its all as expected apart from a few small niggles.

Firstly, just before the guy sold it to me he had to change the battery because it had been sat around for a few weeks without being started. Unfortunately, as soon as he connected the new battery and opened a door, the alarm went off, so he had to unplug it. I was sure a bit of playing around would get it to work again. I've tried everything I could think of, including reconnecting the battery with the key in the ignition, one step away from glow plugs. Any ideas? The alarm is a red box situated to the left of the engine under the boonet and has two inline connectors attatched to it. The key fob is pretty much square and has one button (a big mercedes symbol) and an LED. I dont really care about the Alarm, but would like the central locking back because for some reason to open all of the doors I have top open the passenger side door, as the driver side only opens the one. This is a right hand drive UK model.

Second, despite all the glow plugs being in good condition (all read 1.1 ohms) and the engine starting fine, the glow plug light comes on and never goes off. I've wiated up to a minute to see if it would and no luck so far. This isnt so bad, because I just count to ten and turn the key and it starts, but I'm a bit of a perfectionist so would like to sort it out.

Finally, at some point the car has had the seats changed from Leather to cloth, and for some reason the entire middle wooden console changed so that now it has all the buttons for AC (which the car doesnt have). The problem is that the neither of the temperature switches seem to work, as it always blows out hot air. Is this a vacuum issue?

Thanks in advance for any help. Tom.
Old 04-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Almost a Member!

W124-1992 300D 2.5 Turbo
I've had similar problems with a 300sd w116--You have a vacuum issue.

You will get all the correct information here---->

http://schumanautomotive.com/forums/...splay.php?f=61
Old 04-28-2008, 02:31 PM

1991 W124 250D
Thanks a lot for the help. I assume your referring to the temperature problem? I checked that forum but there were only 4 pages of threads from the beginning and I couldnt see any on heater issues, do you have a direct link?
Old 04-29-2008, 03:46 PM

1991 W124 250D
Ok, I solved one of my own problems today and thought I should reply to this in case anyone else had anything similar.

Despite most accounts saying that this problem is due to stuck mono/duovalve, mine wasnt as both read 12 ohms and clicked open and closed when the solenoid was energised. I'm not sure whether this was how it came from the factory, but I found the two wires for the solenoids running all of the way down to the fron to two relays behind the headlight. Not surprisingly, these and most of the connections made to them were corroded and falling apart.

So I set to work having a play with the meter, and eventually managed to understand what was going on and soldered in two working relays I had around and voila, the heater control now works. I've ordered two new proper automotive relays off ebay and plan to solder these in instead and heatshrink it all up and move it a bit further back so hopefully it wont happen again.

The glowplug issue hasnt been resolved bit I'm thinking the glow plug relay could be stuck so my next test for that is to start the engine, wait 5 minutes and then see if they glow plugs are still getting volts, if so I have a stuck relay.

I havent got any further with the alarm, and have emailed Scorpion for help.
Old 04-29-2008, 04:12 PM
Almost a Member!

W124-1992 300D 2.5 Turbo
glad to hear one problem has been solved, at least! I've always had much better luck posting on diesel-specific forums for mechanical issues, this forum seems more for suspension/wheel and visual modifications. The link for Schumann and also www.mercedesshop.com have plenty of diesel-driving 124 owners! Good Luck!