E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Cassette radio in a Mercedes-Benz?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-10-2002, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz 300D TURBO 1987
Cassette radio in a Mercedes-Benz?

Excuse me, I just arrived here from another planet and learned that the finest automobile I could drive is a Mercedes-Benz. I understand that your computers use a five inch disk to store music, video, and data. If you have this technology then why do these excellent, costly cars come with this antiquated cassette player? I can't find any developed nation on your planet who doesn't listen to music from CD, and the fidelity of the tape deck is greatly inferior to the CD. The sales person at the dealership tells me that he will sell me a device to play CD's for an absurd amount of money. Why does such an excellent car not come with a compact disk player in the dash? P. (from the planet Earth!)
Old 12-10-2002, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Talking

originally posted by pkmaven

Why does such an excellent car not come with a compact disk player in the dash?

Germans are stubborn!
Old 12-10-2002, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
260E , 1989 (for now)
This is a long story.
Once upon a time, the German realized that the CD technology had been developped by the Japaneese. Not wanting to copy any foreign technology at the risk of attracting unflattering comments from the press and from the general public, they decided to temporary install outsated cassette players until they could come up with a new over-engineered music player, which they did.
However, they new gizmo was so large, it could not be fitted in the dashboard. They are still looking for a replacement solution.
mercedes optional equipment is a real joke. example: 2003 e320
* Split/folding rear seat: $550.00 (standard equipment in my wife's Civic.)
* Heated front seat: $ 650.00
* Power trunk closer: $475.00
*Cell phone: $1595.00 (on sale at Wallmart at $9.99)
And that special fine line clause: '' Fee for cars ordered with one or more option requires a special order charge of $1150.00''
Those German are funny, but they built great cars.

JackD
Old 12-17-2002, 12:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yea, thats a big 10-4 by Jack there. My Motorola v60i phone is in my 89 300e at a total cost of $300 (w/ the kit and everything) and when you buy this almost EXACT SAME PHONE from Mercedes they charge you like $1500!!! Oh, I'm sorry. The only difference between my v60i and the v60 mercedes gives you is mine has more features (MP3 player and FM receiver)... And my phone doesn't have the mercedes logo on it (that I actually do wish I had)

Yea, mercedes is weird with these "extra" options.

And can anyone tell me if these harmon kardon or whatever sound systems are good? I have never heard of this company! I heard people say they like 'em, but why doesn't Mercedes just use kenwood or sony or something else! They could make the interior for these new SL 55's even more impressive!