E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Anybody know anything about Altitude Sensor on w124?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Anybody know anything about Altitude Sensor on w124?

I'm getting an error code for it and I understand it could possibly maybe be the cause of my misfire. I wanted to hand the car over to a professional for however long he needs it because I am all out of ideas....but of course it would be cheaper for me to do anything I can.

The altitude sensor runs about $150, which I am OKAY doing if its a potential problem.

I have no idea where this sensor is. Haynes manual, Mercedes Bible and forums: No information on this anywhere. Even the shops online had to custom quote me the order.

Does anybody have anything on it? Location or more information on "what it does".

Thanks,
ps2cho
Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
See if you can find anything on a MAP sensor this measures the air pressure in the manifold as well as the external ambient air pressure based on altitude. Now that I think of it the MAS may be the culprit?
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by appatula
See if you can find anything on a MAP sensor this measures the air pressure in the manifold as well as the external ambient air pressure based on altitude. Now that I think of it the MAS may be the culprit?
It hasn't been checked, but to be honest I don't know what it is exactly. Mass airflow sensor correct? Is it actually a sensor or is it just the plate on top?

I have another one that the guy threw in when I had my fuel distributor replaced. Is there any way to check if mine is ok or is it just a replace job?
I mean mine is in great condition...but is condition indicative in this case?

I will look around for that MAP sensor.

Thanks!
Old 05-23-2008, 05:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by ps2cho
It hasn't been checked, but to be honest I don't know what it is exactly. Mass airflow sensor correct? Is it actually a sensor or is it just the plate on top?

I have another one that the guy threw in when I had my fuel distributor replaced. Is there any way to check if mine is ok or is it just a replace job?
I mean mine is in great condition...but is condition indicative in this case?

I will look around for that MAP sensor.

Thanks!
I replaced mine and it cleared up half of my issues. The only thing I can think of as far as testing it is to unplug it and try and start the car up see if nothing changes. Also those mas units are rebuildable. At one point I saw a Delco insert for your year that was around $30.00 instead of over $100. You just unscrew the old filament and screw the new one in. Good luck with your continued hunt
Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by GEDaggett
I replaced mine and it cleared up half of my issues. The only thing I can think of as far as testing it is to unplug it and try and start the car up see if nothing changes. Also those mas units are rebuildable. At one point I saw a Delco insert for your year that was around $30.00 instead of over $100. You just unscrew the old filament and screw the new one in. Good luck with your continued hunt
I'm trying to understand what it is exactly here: Is it the chunk of mental that is the MAF/MAS or does it have a sensor inside of it?
It confuses me when you say unplug it lol. I'm assuming there is a sensor....to test it, would it require me to remove the fuel disty and everything attached?