E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

ARS trouble

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARS trouble

!995 E-320; The ARS dash light (malfunction?) comes on while driving and also sometimes when starting. The engine goes into limp home mode. Any idea what the problem is. Goes away for a while when engine is restarted. I am thinking the relay. But would like others input.

Horace
Old 08-13-2008, 06:27 PM

03 ML500
there is a lot of information on this thread and the W140 thread....there can be many different problems, the ASR can be a big PITA
Old 08-19-2008, 06:28 PM

ARS trouble

I checked the other treads and found nothing. Question is what would cause the troouble light to come on and the limb home mode to cut in ? This happens on the road and at times when starting the car. Restarting clears it.

Horace
2 E-320's only one with ARS.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 PM

03 ML500
well, the problems with the ASR system could be related to many different problems
On my W140, I have fixed many problems pertaining to the ASR system. I have, replaced the wiring harness, a front right speed sensor, throttle actuator rebuild, and resoldered the ASR/ABS computer
Please remeber, this is over a period of a few years....
One thing to check is your tire pressure....my ASR light was going back on, and two of the tires were overinflated and one was underinflated.
If the problem still occurs, I reccomend making a code reader...they are really easy to build, and can save you a lot of trouble....if you need help on where to find the information, go to:
http://pages.prodigy.net/jforgione/MB_X11.html
Old 08-23-2008, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Pulling the fault codes from the CAN may be of help....def should be done regardless.

Sometimes its an easy fix like the brake stop lamp switch or the neutral lock-out switches are bad. But also could be one of the wiring harnesses is bad(known to be poor in this vintage car) or the uber-expensive throttle acuator.

Spend the hundred or so $$s and get to a dealer that can live-scan the car running for you. As said, tracking down the exact cuase of the LH mode can be a PITA b/c most any electrical pulse/glitch can cause it. Check your battery and alt regulator to to rule them out too. Just my 2 cents and BTDT with my 500E years ago (and many $$s ago !)

www.mercedesshop.com is a good place to search the archives for 'LH mode' on a W124.