E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Need opinions/suggestions regarding wheels!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 E320
Question Need opinions/suggestions regarding wheels!

I bought a set of used chrome wheels (16x7) the other day, they are off C240 sport wagon. I got them for $100! One has minimal curb rash, but the other three are fine. There are few spots that chrome is coming off and chrome quality is not in the best shape overall (somebody obviously didn't take good care of them). My plan was to take the chrome off and paint them black. After asking few people around, they didn't think that it will look good on my two tone paint. Another thing, should I acid wash them myself (cheap) or take them somewhere to be sandblasted (can get expensive, I hear)? Do I paint them on my own (cheap) or should I powder coat them (expensive)? More I think about it, harder it gets! Maybe I should just consider this my 1st bigger project and try to do it on my own, and if it doesn't turn the way I like it, it was only $100! All suggestions/opinions are welcome! Thank you!

I pressure washed it before taking this picture with my cell phone camera!
Attached Thumbnails Need opinions/suggestions regarding wheels!-dsc00011.jpg  
Old 08-19-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
I have e430 wheels on mine and that were in horrible condition when I got them. I sanded them down, and painted them myself with high-heat heavy duty metallic silver, and then clear coated them 3 times
Old 08-19-2008, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
I used to have those wheels in machine/silver finish. They'll look really good on your car. About stripping chrome off it shouldn't cost more than $25 at a local chrome shop to have them acid stripped. You can use a lot of products that can take the chrome off. Easy bake oven cleaner, if you let it sit for a couple of days and a couple of coats will take the chrome off. I've tried to take chrome off wheels in my back yard and it didn't go so nice. It smelled really bad and it took forever! You can also have them sandblasted and using a self etching/filler primer you can primer the wheels. Get some duplicolor paint and some clear coat and that's all you need.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
YNDV knows better than I do on stuff like this. But I will add my comments-

I was looking to have the chrome stripped off of my pre-facelift grille a while back. It took me a while just to find a chrome shop in my area. The guy quoted me something like $150-200 over the phone. I forget what their labor rate was, but I remember it being very high. So YNDV, if you know a source that will do it for $25, please do tell!

The shop I spoke with said the high cost is mostly because of the nasty chemicals (dangerous for workers = high insurance costs) and environmental regulations these days (high chemical/hazmat disposal costs). I decided it wasn't worth it.

I also researched removing the chrome myself, and basically it's not an option from what I can tell. It's extremely difficult and the chemicals are bad news.

I looked into sand-blasting chrome as well. I read that sandblasting is not powerful enough to remove a chrome finish and often causes too much heat (and can warp metal parts- not sure if this applies to wheels).

And finally, as far as painting over chrome, I've learned that it can be done but it won't last nearly as long as if you get down to bare metal, prime, then paint. On wheels, I would assume this would be even more important. But if you do go this route, make sure to get rough up the chrome evenly (no deep scratches though, just make it nice a dull) and use a self-etching primer like YNDV said. I wouldn't expect this to last long on wheels.

Powder-coating is definitely the best option, but like you said, it's also the most expensive. You will need to get down to bare metal in order to powdercoat ($$$ on chrome stripping, then $$$ for powdercoating).

The way I see it, unless these rims are a collectors' item or you're willing to pay more than they're worth to get them finished properly, you're better off living with the chrome and putting them on your car until you can afford the wheels you really want.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:31 PM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
Pete is spot on.

For $100, they will improve your car's look while you find another choice.

Don't go any deeper into them so you can always get your $ back out of them.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Well, I'm lucky to live in so cal. I have shops that can repair wheels and change bolt patterns. Sandblasting won't do anything for the wheels but maybe you can acid etch the wheels and sand them to get the paint to stick. I don't think seattle has a big wheel market so im sure shops there have crazy prices. If you want to do it the back yard way get yourself a plastic container the with of the rims and but like 10 bottles of THE WORKS toilet bowl cleaner. I use the works drain un clogger to remove rust from metal and it works pretty good if you let it sit for an hour or just go over it with naval jelly. Anyways, powdercoating may be too expensive and it's not going to come out good since the wheels need to be stripped and polished for powdercoating first.

The chrome doesn't look that bad but best option would be to use spray paint even if it doesn't last. It's cheap enough where you can re paint them as many times as you want.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:41 AM

1994 E320
Thank you!

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Some updates: I have decided not to mess with acids and doing it on my own (dangerous stuff)! Found a powder coating place (http://www.powdercoatinginc.com/) in Mukilteo, Wa, that can sandblast my wheels and do some kind of etching. They claim that they do this all the time and powder coat comes looking great! Sandblasting will cost me $20 per wheel and powder coat $40 per wheel. At first, I wanted to go with black powder coat, but thanks to YNVDIZW124's post, I will go with machine/silver finish! So, all together it should come out around $250! I will get this done within next few weeks or so, after that some window tinting and that should be it. I am trying to keep it all stock! Thanks again!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:24 AM

95 E320 Coupe, Diesel Golf
250 for all for isin't that bad of a price.

But also for 250 I think you can find another set of 16" wheels around the forums.
Good luck
Old 08-21-2008, 04:23 PM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by vili1982
250 for all for isin't that bad of a price.

But also for 250 I think you can find another set of 16" wheels around the forums.
Good luck
$250 seems reasonable for the work that needs to be done, but I might wait for a while and see what happens. Thanks!
Old 08-22-2008, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1990 300ce
If you are happy with everything about the rims except the chrome, and they are willing to put a warranty on the powdercoat job without de-chroming, then $250 is worth it.

Paint/powder coat is heavily dependent on the quality of the prep work. But if they will stand behind their work with some kind of warranty (in writing) then I'd do it.
Old 08-22-2008, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
I got my 16" c-class sport wheels with tires for $250 and those had about 95% thread left.

Bigpete is right, and if the wheels have curb rash it might look worst. That's a pretty good price btw. You're lucky because shops around here want $400 to powdercoat wheels. Here they are in silver..

Sorry for the grammar, I try to type fast and my thoughts don't connect to the keyboard sometimes.

Last edited by YNVDIZW124; 08-22-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:20 PM

1994 E320
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
I got my 16" c-class sport wheels with tires for $250 and those had about 95% thread left.

Bigpete is right, and if the wheels have curb rash it might look worst. That's a pretty good price btw. You're lucky because shops around here want $400 to powdercoat wheels. Here they are in silver..

Sorry for the grammar, I try to type fast and my thoughts don't connect to the keyboard sometimes.
Thanks for the post/pic, they do look pretty nice! I'll probably wait and see if something else comes my way. I am not in a hurry since I have almost brand new Michelins on my stock 15" wheels!

Thanks to all of you guys!
Old 08-22-2008, 08:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Never settle when it comes to wheels or car colors...you will ALWAYS regret or re-do them if you do....
Old 08-23-2008, 05:49 PM

'95 Smoke Silver S124
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124

but wth happened to that car?! did it get runover by a soccer mom in her suburban-assault vehicle???
Old 08-23-2008, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Zorro is probably right....I've tried tons of wheels on my car but can't settle for one style. I'm on the hunt for those perfect rims.

Here is part of my collection of wheels that didn't make the cut.

The car was hit by a red light bandit...

Old 08-24-2008, 10:11 AM
RHW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
94 Wagon and 94 Cabriolet
YNVDIZ
Do you have a pic of your car with the black / bottom rims from your last post?