E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Fuse Shorting and Turn Signal Failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 04:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon 253K miles
Fuse Shorting and Turn Signal Failure

I have a 1992 300TE wagon with 2 problems that just came up, both of which occured at the same time:

1. The #9 fuse keeps burning out when I put a new one in, so there is a short in the wiring somewhere.

2. My left/right turn signals do not come on or make any clicking noise. But the #6 fuse linked to the turn signal lamp is fine since the horn and wiper both operate.

Is there a chance that the short in the wiring (which i suspect is the cause of #1) has affected the turn signal/combo relay?

Where is the relay located? I'm looking behind the fuse box in the direction of the driver seat and I only see a solid black lid. Do I need to take the screws out and lift up? There are 6 screws, and the whole piece, including the fuse box, is about a foot long.

Please help. My wife won't drive the car and our kids without turn signals!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 Smoke Silver S124
Originally Posted by ccozic
I have a 1992 300TE wagon with 2 problems that just came up, both of which occured at the same time:

1. The #9 fuse keeps burning out when I put a new one in, so there is a short in the wiring somewhere.

2. My left/right turn signals do not come on or make any clicking noise. But the #6 fuse linked to the turn signal lamp is fine since the horn and wiper both operate.

Is there a chance that the short in the wiring (which i suspect is the cause of #1) has affected the turn signal/combo relay?

Where is the relay located? I'm looking behind the fuse box in the direction of the driver seat and I only see a solid black lid. Do I need to take the screws out and lift up? There are 6 screws, and the whole piece, including the fuse box, is about a foot long.

Please help. My wife won't drive the car and our kids without turn signals!!!

do the hazards work?? If i remember right for '92 the hazards, wipers, and turn signals were all controlled by the combination switch, so if its just the turn signals not working, thats probably not the problem (i mean the combination switch probably isnt the problem... mine is on the fritz and when it goes, all three stop working until i beat the hell outta my steering wheel )
Old 08-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon 253K miles
Hazard lights, clock, and radio all not working.....
Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'95 Smoke Silver S124
this sounds like a problem beyond my experience and knowledge... will ask questions next time im at work, but hopefully someone brainy here will help first... srry