E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Mysterious Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 02:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes E320
Mysterious Electrical Issues

As I'm driving at times multiple items lose electrical power. For example, the radio turns off, windows & sunroof stop working, heated seats turn off and power seats do not work, sometimes power antenna lowers and raises and finally SRS light comes on for a few seconds. At other times everything works fine and then all items no longer work again. There is no consistent pattern except that perhaps movement and not time changes the situation. It is quite a nuisance when you park and can no longer raise up the windows or while driving the radio shuts off. The car is a 1995 E420 with 57,000 miles. I have changed the combination relay as I had erratic wiper movement and that is now resolved. Could the convenience relay be the culprit for some of the issues? Interestingly I took the convenience relay out to note any changes and the power seats still work.

Also as of late the low beams permanently do not go on, but high beams and fog lamps are fine. I checked voltage reading at the fuse for low beams and it read none, but high beams had normal. Seems the current is not getting past the headlight switch...Faulty switch?

Thanks ahead for any advice.