E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Newbie here...Need info on the car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 02:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E
Smile Newbie here...Need info on the car

Just Purchased this 86 300E 180K, nice and decent condition inside and out, just some concern on the engine, whenever I launch the car, it gave a hesistance on the first accellaration, but after that the car runs fine, what you guys think I should fix or replace? Thanks for the info, oh yeah...any good online site for mercedes parts?
Old 01-09-2003, 08:15 PM

could be a tranny issue? hesitation until the tranny gets warmed up quick...
Old 01-11-2003, 01:55 AM

1986 300E
Thanks for the reply, I will check on that...

One more question....what is the normal oil pressure on the cluster supposed to be? thanks again
Old 01-11-2003, 12:20 PM

My car isn't the healthiest, I can't remember what it was when we first got it, but usually it hovers around 2-1 at neutral and indrive idle, usually 3 as soon as I even touch the accelerator.

Regarding the tranny thing...
My car the tranny is probably going. Unless I use the manual shifter to select gears, the car hesitates at high rpm's then the power seems to return when the gear is about to be maxed out. My problem isn't really a cold tranny problem, but a constant tranny problem. If I drive normally (not goin quick) or even a little faster than normal, you can't tell, but if you are flooring it and redlining the baby, I can feel it unless I use my shifter. Not a big deal.

I have been inside GM cars though when the tranny doesn't work cold. Sometimes the car hesitates or you really gotta push the accelerator to like go in reverse to get the car going.

Keep in mind on the 300e, reverse has more torque than 1st gear, so you might feel that hesitation more in 1st gear and not notice in reverse. Try flooring it in reverse and you'll burn out like none other. Flooring it in "first" (really the car starts in second unless you floor it or put the selector in "2" while stopped) will engage first gear, but you won't burn out assuming your on dry ground. (if you try flooring it in reverse, make sure nothins behind ya )

So, anyway, im not sure how bad your hesitation is, but that should give you some more detail.

Regarding parts, I use www.adsitco.com pretty often, cause they're close. Ground shipments come from Indiana to Chicago next day or second day. But I'm sure there are some better places as they don't list their whole inventory online. Sometimes you gotta call.

Good luck sir!