E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

87 260e w124 engine timing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1987 260e, 1998 VW glx vr6 vento
87 260e w124 engine timing

I have just finished up with doing a a valve job on my head. I cannot for the life of me find where the timing marks are the engine. I can line up the camshaft and alright I just do not know where to line up the I believe is the "harmonic balancer" to the engine. I guess I am asking where should the harmonic balancer be lined up to zero it out of the timing marks on the main engine block itself. This is my winter car and really need her up and running.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Itīs fairly simple. There are numbers on the vibration damper at front, showing the degrees; 0, 10, 20, 30 etc before and after tdc. Turn the crankase until TDC is reached. There is a dash between the digits, which indicates the position and a pin in the engine block. Align those.

Regarding the camshaft, there is a notch in the nr. one cam holder which should align with a small dot in the cam.

Keep the chain fully stretched on the opposite side of the tensioner, so all the slack is on the tensioner side. Then adjust the tensioner, by removing its inner part from the outer part and reinstall it again. Push it two or three notches inwards to begin with and screw the tensioner ALL THE WAY IN BY HAND, using a 17mm hexagonal socket.
If there is slack on the chain, remove the tensioner and push the inner part one further notch outwards. Screw tensioner again ALL THE WAY IN BY HAND and see if there is slack on the chain. Repeat this until zero slack is on chain with tensioner fully installed. If you can't screw the tensioner all the way in by hand and the chain begins to stretch, you must remove the tensioner and start over. YOU MUST NOT OVER STRETCH THE CHAIN. Then when finished, tighten tensioner with the 17mm socket to its specified torque.
-After that, install the spring, shim and outer cap and tighten to its torque..
Thatīs all there is to it.. hope it helps.
Cheers,

Last edited by 124-Fan; 11-19-2008 at 05:01 PM.