E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK230 K, Avantguard
Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!

300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo

"This is a very rare and unique car. It is a 1989 Mercedes Benz 300CE which has been completely stripped down and converted into a 3.6L AMG twin turbo monster. These cars were only available new from UK Mercedes dealer Hughes of Beaconsfield. Limited to 75 conversions world wide. 50 of these conversion were performed on new UK cars by Hughes and 25 conversions like this one were performed on used cars by other installers around the world.

Updated W124 body
Black leather & burled walnut interior
Custom built M104.982 engine:
-3521cc displacement (89.92mm bore, 92.40mm stroke)
-Forged Oettinger pistons
-AMG C36 crankshaft
-Turbo Technics rods
-Ported & polished head
-Full Turbo Technics intercooled twin turbo conversion
Full stainless steel dual tip Turbo Technics sport exhaust
MicroTech ECU
eBoost2 electronic boost controller
Rebuilt & reinforced 722.358 4-speed auto transmission
Koni struts/shocks
Eibach lowered sport springs
500SL 4-piston brakes
AMG alloy wheels 17x7.5 & 17x8.5

The engine is currently producing nearly 400hp/300kw at 14psi, running 0-100km/h in low 5 second range with severely air restricted T2 turbochargers from the original conversion and initial tune (can't breathe past 5000rpm). With GT25 units installed, this car will be able to rev to 8000rpm, make over 500hp and run 0-100km/h in the 4s at the same boost level.

A total of 50 conversions were performed by the Hughes of Beaconsfield Mercedes-Benz dealership using these kits and a further 25 kits were made to be sold for 3rd party conversion. Of the 75 total kits, approximately 25 were made for each popular variant of the inline 6 engine used in the W124 series (3.0L CIS-E M103, 3.0L CIS-E M104, 3.2L HFM M104). This car was converted by Prestige Car Service Centre in Melbourne using one of the very few 3.2L HFM M104 kits made for 3rd party conversion. Revisions were made to the standard conversion to accomodate the stroked AMG engine and improve performance.

TURBO TECHNICS E-CLASS
PERFORMANCE & STYLE INTERNATIONAL JANUARY 1995

Jump straight from an ordinary car, as I did, into the Turbo Technics E-Class Mercedes conversion and your first impression is of the effort required to operate this German coupe.
Mercedes-Benz never made a floppy switch or a feeble control in their life. They certainly haven't fitted any to the E-Class cars.
Apply positive pressure to the door-mounted controls and almost silent electric motors place you exactly where you want to be in relation to the pedals.
Click another switch and you get the steering wheel in your chest or at arm's length. Click it again and you get it just right.

Now turn the ignition key - positively. After a brief display of warning lights the 24-valve engine awakens and instantly adopts a 600rpm idle.
Plant you left foot (or right, if you prefer driving autos conventionally) firmly on the brake pedal and select D via the robust looking gear lever.
Release the handbrake and move off. Hang on - release the handbrake. But where is it? Not beside the seat, for sure. Of course, this is a Merc.
The handbrake is actually an extra pedal snuggling against the transmission tunnel and you need to pull a handle on the dashboard to release it.

At last we're moving now - ever so slowly. Around 3.2 litres of straight-six engine is good for about 3mph at idle revolutions.
The large floor-mounted throttle pedal is the key to extra speed but the unaccustomed effort needed to alter its position results in jerky acceleration.
Until you get used to it of course.

After but a few miles you do. And after a few more this dimensionally unchallenged car begins to feel like those old shoes you are reluctant to throw away.
The comfortable leather seats help, of course, as does the efficient air conditioning.
With a total absence of distracting squeaks and groans from the interior trim you brave the myriad tiny controls on the Sony entertainment system.
What a pity that Mercedes dealers, Hughes of Beaconsfield, who lent us their converted demonstrator, don't apply their good taste in cars when it comes to the choice of CDs.
But who cares about listening to music (Muzak, actually) when you can tune in to over 300bhp accompanied by the low-pitched moaning of two Garrett turbochargers?

If only... Bumper to bumper rep-mobiles heading north on the A1 on a wet Friday night restricted speed to between zero and 40mph.
An occasional gap in the traffic allowed a brief burst of acceleration that must have left a few Mondeo drivers scratching their heads.
Presumably they had come across E-Class coupes before and learned to differentiate between easily overhauled 2.2-litre versions and the somewhat less vulnerable six-cylinder cars.

Nevertheless the rapidity with which the visually stock Hughes E320 consumed the horizon will have come as a surprise. I hope so, because it served to dissipate some of my frustration.
Even so this was probably the most boring eighty miles I've ever driven.

At last Scotch Corner loomed out of the darkness and with it the relief of turning onto the A66.
The arrival deadline was fast approaching but as Roman Way red mullet and a bottle of chilled Beaujolais are preferable to cold sandwiches,
all considerations of saving the planet were swept to one side.
Selecting Sport mode on the automatic transmission, I pressed even harder on the throttle pedal.
Lorries and their attendant slow-moving followers were dispatched rapidly and safely with fierce bursts of acceleration.

Sheer size and the cocooned feeling that you get within the virtually silent cabin prevents the E-Class coupe from producing an intimate driving experience in the manner of say a Mazda MX-5 or a Caterham Seven.
In fact, enthusiastic cross country motoring takes some getting used to.
The power steering feels over-light either side of the straight ahead position, and when combined with the car's long bonnet this makes following the white line somewhat of an imprecise affair.
Relocating the ever-recognisable trademark, the three-pointed star to the right-hand corner of the car would help matters but would probably not find favour in Stuttgart!

Because of my unfamiliarity with both the E320 and the A66 I approached each corner with caution while attacking the straight sections with gusto.
There is no doubt that the Sportline suspension of this Mercedes complements the standard 15in wheels and 205/60 Michelin tyres extremely well.
It drops the car 9-10mm - similar to the E500 version, yet even with the uprated suspension the ride loses none of the standard and renowned Mercedes comfort.
However, the excellent damping characteristics ensure that the coupe will rapidly return to a level attitude even after enthusiastic cornering.

Unevenness in the road surface is absorbed without the harshness that might be associated with lower profile tyres.
No doubt a better driver could have made full use of the available power and tested the car's cornering ability to the limits.
Nevertheless, my point and squirt approach achieved the desired objective.
Just as the clock struck nine we took a last sip of our aperitifs and moved into the the restaurant. No need for sandwiches thanks to 350bhp.

Cambrian weather was certainly not conducive to photography that weekend and Appleby Manor's Return to Eden break seemed misnamed -
until we learned that the hotel is actually located in Eden. The roads around that area are, however, exciting whatever the weather.
Damp tarmac did little to unsettle the Merc's road manners although a sudden application of the throttle on a leaf covered corner had the automatic skid control light blinking at us from the dashboard.

The brakes are standard discs all round with ABS, a feature which I never had call to bring into play on this particular occasion.
But considering the top speed capability of this 1500kg car the anchors are best described as adequate.
I would expect press-on drivers to regularly find replacement brake pads popping up on their servicing bill.
Talking of which, Mercedes-Benz dealers will have no trouble applying the normal service routing to this particular car -
on this engine only the spark plugs and oil are of a different specification to the standard model.

With the four-speed automatic transmission in Economy mode the Turbo Technics Mercedes will cruise around all day at low revs and minimal boost pressure.
The Mercedes 24-valve boats a dual inlet system, which below 4000rpm behaves like two three-cylinder units, and at higher revolutions reverts to the normal six cylinder operation.

Yet just occasionally the engine appears to be confused by this dual inlet system working in collaboration with the additional engine management unit.
The result is a slight oscillation in the power delivery but, thanks to the smoothing effect of the transmission, it is something which you will hear rather than feel.

What about turbo lag? If a delay of about three nanoseconds counts as turbo lag then this car has it.
In truth, the excellent output of the standard engine means that the turbos steepen the torque curve rather than adding a step to it.

On the road this translates into impressively rapid levels of acceleration in all gears from any speed.
Hughes of Beaconsfield adjust the transmission pressures with the result that upchanges are taken at slightly higher speeds than the 35/60/90mph of the standard car.
At a constant 3000rpm the E320 is rolling along at around 75mpg in fourth gear.

Such impressive performance doesn't appear to come at the expense of economy.
Over 1000 miles of often enthusiastic motoring I recorded about 25mpg, which is par for a standard 3.2-litre coupe.

Having decided, like me, that 350bhp is exactly what the standard E320 needs you'll no doubt be expecting to be put off by the cost of having such an uprate applied to your machine.
Surprise, surprise, the conversion brings the price of a new car in at under £50,000, depending on the extras that you specify.
Compare that with the £75,000 needed for a 300bhp 500 coupe or the £52,000 for a BMW M5.
If you already own a six-cylinder E-series or 300-series then the twin turbos kit will cost you from £5870 to fit.

What will this mean to your car?
Well peak power will range from a little over 300bhp on a 12-valve, 3-litre engine to 350bhp on the latest E320 models.
Hughes of Beaconsfield offer an unlimited mileage, 12-month guarantee on the engine and turbo system, so there's no worries there.
Too much power? Not at all...

Performance Figures
Acceleration from rest
mph secs
30 2.2
40 3.2
50 4.4
60 5.7
70 7.4
80 9.3
90 11.6
100 14.4
110 17.8
120 21.9 "
Attached Thumbnails Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!-5b6b_1.jpg   Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!-5ced_1.jpg   Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!-5678_1.jpg   Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!-60e5_1.jpg   Look what i have found, 300CE 3.6L Twin Turbo!!!-5854_1.jpg  

Last edited by delija; 11-15-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
What a beautiful example. Tasteful and powerful. Very nice.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Are you going to purchase it ?

Belongs to an Australian member of another forum who is moving either to Canada or the USA for job purposes.

A great deal of money has been invested in it

Last edited by RBYCC; 11-15-2008 at 10:34 PM.
Old 11-15-2008, 10:12 PM

1992 300CE
What kind of springs are those?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1987 560SL
Originally Posted by RBYCC
Are you going to purchase it ?
LOL That's what I was wondering!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:21 AM

CLK230 K, Avantguard
I didn't have a clue something like that exists hmmm...

I would love that power on CE, but i think reserve is $40 000aus and that i a lot when u look what kind of car you can get for that much these days, like even w211
Old 12-27-2008, 11:16 PM

1989 Turbo Technics AMG 300CE 3.6
This is my car.
The springs are Eibach, as noted in the initial post.
As to pricing, this was discussed on another forum so I'll re-post my reply:
Hard to price rare & custom cars. Here's some prices for comparison from autotrader.com.au:
1988-1992 300CE $8-15k (same chassis with standard engine)
1993 320CE $18k (same chassis with E320 engine but earlier trim)
1994 E320 coupe $19k (same chassis with most powerful AU-delivery engine)
1990-1992 500SL $35-49k (same era with lower performance)
1993 600SL $55k (same era with same horsepower)
1997 C36 $27k (sedan with same AMG engine but no turbos)
2000-2001 CLK430 $46-70k (successor coupe model with lower performance)

I think I saw a left hand drive AMG 300CE 3.4 listed on this foum or another for $40k a few years ago too.
I'm currently talking with Shannons to have this car auctioned at the 2009 Melbourne Motor Show.
Old 12-28-2008, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Ortolan
This is my car.
The springs are Eibach, as noted in the initial post.
As to pricing, this was discussed on another forum so I'll re-post my reply:

I'm currently talking with Shannons to have this car auctioned at the 2009 Melbourne Motor Show.

B.J.

I think the problem is USA buyers of most Mercs are able to purchase at much lower prices then UK, Euro or probably Australian markets.

I find the UK market at least 50% -100% higher then the USA market.

Many bargains in the USA, but also a great deal of really beat cars.

Pricing is all relative and I know what you've done to your car.
I look at any collectable or one off vehicle as something that I can't buy in the new car market, but yet compare to what you can purchase new.

I recently paid about $20K for a pristine one owner 1994 E320 Cab with 45K miles and full service history.
Did I pay too much ?
Could I have purchased another Cab at a lower price?
Sure, but I couldn't purchase that specific car at a lower price !!!

Absolutely trouble free, turns heads and is $40K less then the least expensive new Merc Cab.

New will depreciate, but the 124's are in a bottoming phase in the USA.

Cabs, Coupes and AMG 124's will only increase in price over the next ten years...

Good luck with the sale !!

Ed A.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
40K a few years ago here, sure but thats a few years ago and not in todays lovely economy.

Your car is great but you will be waiting for that special buyer that doesn't realize you can't fully factor mods into your pricing.

When he does come along, i've got a 1990 300E to sell him for $25k

Old 12-28-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thats a $15K savings
Old 12-28-2008, 06:42 PM

As you say Ed, each market is priced differently. An early model SL65 can be bought in the USA for US$80,000 while the same car in Australia would cost you AU$250,000 (US$170,000).
The asking price for my car is AU$40,000 (US$27,000). Potential Australian buyers would be comparing the car to other models which would sell for a little over US$10,000 in the USA.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:50 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
1990 300ce supercharged and intercooled
So does Australia have heavy restrictions on importing cars? If not why not ship some in for 100,000 profit. You can not give away cars hear anymore. I have seen 03 e55, s55, etc. go for less than 30,000 with good miles on them as well as the 65 amg go for prices like you mentioned.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by whipplem104
So does Australia have heavy restrictions on importing cars? If not why not ship some in for 100,000 profit. You can not give away cars hear anymore. I have seen 03 e55, s55, etc. go for less than 30,000 with good miles on them as well as the 65 amg go for prices like you mentioned.

Australia as the UK are RHD vehicles, so the USA/Euro LHD not so desirable.

If you research you will find the MSRP of a new Merc in the UK is about numerically the same as the MSRP in the USA.

However due to currency conversion the UK model in USD$ would have priced from 50%-100% higher.

i.e. C63 65K Sterling or $65K USD convert Sterling /USD and 65K Sterling = $95990 USD
So if you are buying a UK car with USD expect to pay today a 50% premium.

You have to understand currenxy fluctuations when you are looking at global pricing of similar cars.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by whipplem104
There's heavy restrictions on importing cars into Australia. If it was built before 1988 it can be brought in and registered after some "minor" work and certification to Australian Design Regulations. Mine was brought in when the cutoff year was 1989 and the engineering work and certification cost around $3k.
If the car was built after 1988 you can apply to have it brought in but the government will pretty much reject any application for a model which was originally sold in Australia through the dealership. This also extends to models which are similar to Australian-delivered models. For example, before I started my 300CE project I applied to import an AMG C124 E36 from England but was rejected because it was deemed too similar to a C124 E320.
If you do manage to get import approval for post 1988 car, you'll still need to spend thousands on more stringent engineering & certification than for pre 1988 cars.
A loophole exists for cars which have been owned and used in the country of origin by the importer for a minimum of one year. So in theory, you could buy an SL65 in the USA, drive it for a year then convert it to RHD, ship it to Australia and sell it for a small profit. Unlike Japan, there is little desire for LHD cars in Australia (few people want to drive around with a big sign on the rear of their car saying LEFT HAND DRIVE).