E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Winter '93 300E Issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'93 300E
Winter '93 300E Issues

Hi all. I recently bought a '93 300E from my grandfather. Let's just say, I'm in love.

A few concerns though...

This will be the car's first (harsh) winter since I live in Wisconsin, and it was only ever driven in California. Right after I bought it, my boss mentioned something to me about bringing it in to get something fixed since she had bought a California car before and it wouldn't start in the winter. I thought this was BS, but sure enough, the first day it dipped below 32 degrees, it wouldn't start. But it didn't click or sound like it was even trying to turn over at all. I put in it Neutral and it popped right off. Ever since, I've had to do the same thing to start it unless the engine is still warm.

Is this something to do with what my boss was talking about, or just coincidence? What would need to be "fixed?" I plan on getting an engine heater soon anyway, since it was 19 degrees this morning and the car didn't want to start regardless, but needing to start it in neutral seems like more of a computer issue to me.

Next problem. The blower for the heater has only worked once since I've had the car. It was actually the first time I had to put it in neutral to start it that it worked. Not since. On these cars, is this problem usually a fuse issue or something with the fan/blower motor? The car still warms up nice and toasty once the engine warms up and I'm going fast enough to bring the warm air in. But the real Wisconsin winter hasn't even started yet so I'd like to get this fixed.

Any suggestions? How much do you think it would cost to get these problems professionally fixed?

Thanks in advance. Total n00b to this forum and Mercedes in general
Old 11-18-2008, 10:31 PM

'93 300E
Ok, I just saw this thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-fan-died.html

So that answers one question
Old 11-18-2008, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by defenestrate
Ok, I just saw this thread - https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...-fan-died.html

So that answers one question
The not starting thing most likely is your neutral safety switch. It tell the car when you are in park or neutral and when it malfunctions it will not let you start in park because it thinks you are in gear.
Old 11-19-2008, 03:05 AM

1994 C124 E320 Coupe - 1975 W116 280S
The shifting into neutral in order to start issue is your Neutral Safety Switch.

It's not really a computer issue as these cars aren't THAT complex.

It's on top of the trans housing where the shift linkage is. You either need really small hands or have to drop the trans to replace it.

It also can inhibit the function of reverse lights as thats what it does on my car, but hasn't inhibited starting yet *knocks on wood*.

GL
Old 11-19-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by Chinny4290
The shifting into neutral in order to start issue is your Neutral Safety Switch.

It's not really a computer issue as these cars aren't THAT complex.

It's on top of the trans housing where the shift linkage is. You either need really small hands or have to drop the trans to replace it.

It also can inhibit the function of reverse lights as thats what it does on my car, but hasn't inhibited starting yet *knocks on wood*.

GL
That switch cost $12.00 at autohausaz.com