E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Very weak defrost and floor heat!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
Very weak defrost and floor heat!

I have a 1995 E320. My fans seem to work fine. At least there is plenty of noise that sounds like the fans should be blowing air. I get the best flow from the side vents and I can feel that the air is warm, but there is just very little flow from the defroster and the floor vents. Even on high and with the controls set to all defroster, I don’t get much flow from the defroster at the windshield. I tried every possible setting for auto, max and low speed fan, as well as the different settings for all defrost, half and half defrost and floor, and mostly floor.

Let me see, I also have a rather loud slapping sound from something closing in the dash when I start the motor in the cold. I have had that for quite a while, even before I noticed the loss of the flow of air. I figured that was a fresh air supply vent slapping closed that limited outside air until the car warmed up a bit and maybe some foam padding had deteriorated. I did have decent air-flow in the past, even when I had the loud slapping.

Anyway, please help me understand what might be causing me to have low air flow from defroster and floor vents, even though I have a fan that sounds like it is blowing and the air seems to be warm. This is not a good situation going into a Pennsylvania winter. I just spent $1200.00 to get my front spring perches re-welded onto the car this week, so this is not a welcome surprise.

Thank you everyone,

Ken
Old 12-11-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
300 E
Im having the same problem with week airflow from the defrost vents. No noise (slapping) though. Fog on the inside of my windshield makes driving at night difficult with my tints. Help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
http://www.mercedesshop.com/shopforu...d.php?p=197605

Unfortunately, I think mine is probably the "pods", as discussed by gsxr at the link above. I sure wish gsxr lived closer to me. I would definitely like to be his friend and get help with my W124. The slapping is probably a damaged diverter flap that may not really be causing the problem. I bet I am going to have to have the dash pulled and all of the pods replaced.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
i wounder how hard is that dash to take off.. the only screws that i see there are those next to the speakers... is that all you need to take off?