E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300ce project update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 300ce
300ce project update

so today I finally got to tearing into my 300ce.
The car is black exterior on saddle leather interior, the interior is stained, and looking a little sorry so Im addressing all of that.

I removed most all interior components so as to be refinished and facelifted. The interior pattern will resemble that of many new 2 toned audis, door panel inserts saddle, and the rest black as opposed to being all solid saddle. carpet will be done in black from saddle as well.

Today I accomplished the 2 door panels, if anyone is curious as to how to refinish the vinyl and plastic portions of their interior heres a short write up(pictures to come soon)

Items needed:
SEM Color Coat
Mineral Spirits
Scotch Brite (rough)
Heat Gun (optional)
Clean rags
Nice big well ventilated work space

1) pick up a few cans of SEM color coat flexible interior coating in the color of your choice.

2)after removing panels from the vehicle place them on a nice sturdy work surface

3) Apply mineral spirits onto a small piece of scotch brite and thoroughly scrub the vinyl surface of the panel to remove and dirt, grease, or grime that would otherwise jeopardize the bond between the coating and the panel. make sure to keep the scotch brite nice and wet, not letting your scrubbed portions dry out.

4) wipe the dirty mineral spirits (while wet) with clean cloth. If the mineral spirits dry, scrub it again otherwise the dirt will stick.

5) leave panels to dry thoroughly, or if youre impatient use a heat gun to speed up the drying process

6) once thoroughly dried (dryness is essential, or the coating will pull, run, and not adhere properly) shake the can of color coat thoroughly for one minute and apply a very light coat of color. (applying the first coat light will prevent runs in the following coats and give them something solid to stick to)

7) apply 2 more medium thickness coatings to completely coat the panel.

8) let dry for 30mins-1hour depending on temperature and humidity, and reinstall.

the end result is amazing, it looks like brand new upholstery from the factory, i used a combination of gloss and semi gloss coating to achieve the look i wanted, 2 initial coats gloss, final coat satin. perfection. Ill post updates of the project as I go along. next install is the recaro seats I purchased, heres a pic, the blue inserts will be dyed tan or reupholstered tan to match the saddle interior.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:19 PM

1988 300ce
here are the wheels I have that will be going on the car once I order some lowering springs. Privat netz 19 x 8 et35 , 235/35/19 tires
Old 12-29-2008, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 e320...sold the rest
If those are Audi wheels they probably won't fit. The bolt pattern and offset may be correct, but I believe the center bore is way off.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Well, they are aftermarket wheels and if your lucky they are not car specific so the centerbore doesn't need to be machined. Those are some pretty nice wheels and they should fit without rubbing. I'm looking into buying a CE in the next couple of months i just need to get rid of one of my mustangs...
Old 12-29-2008, 07:34 PM

1988 300ce
Yep aftermarket, no fitment Issues
Old 01-09-2009, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Any new pictures of this project?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:30 PM

1988 300ce
nope havent been at it for over a week, been in key west on vac. gonna do some more work on the seats tomorrow night. ill try and get some pics of that.