E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1986 300E Timing Chain leak...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 03:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300E
1986 300E Timing Chain leak...

I have a 1986 300E. A couple of months ago I went through a terrible period where my 300E kept shutting off. Replacing the Fuel Injection Control Unit, Overload Protection Unit, Idle Control Valve and a couple of vacuum hoses and my 300E is running almost as new as when I bought it 22 years ago.

The problem, however, is that I have this dumb leak at the lower timing chain cover on the passenger side which really better get fixed.

Unfortunately, I spent all I had to remedy my bigger problem. So my friend who is a wonderful mechanic has agreed to take on the job of replacing the timing belt gasket. With everything which has to come off, I took for granted that their must be some kind of gasket, seal and O-ring kit for the job. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be.

As we don't have an engine fiche, is there somewhere we might find a list of the gaskets, seals and O-rings we should replace along the way.

Also are there any really important do's or don'ts or prep that might be helpful.

We're really in better shape than my questions might suggest - I just want to try to have as much ready as I can before we bump into things along the way.

If I were working, I'd just hand it over to my usual mechanic but at the moment, I really can't make the hourly.

Thanks to everyone for helping.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
The you sure it's not the gasket between the distributor and the lower timing chain cover? That's a $2 gasket and about 4 bolts to remove. I need to change mine and also the oil sender gasket but i only waste about a quart every 3-4k miles.