E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

"mind Off Their Own"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1993 E220 estate
Angry "mind Off Their Own"E220 estate interior lights

please help,the interior lights of my E220 estate come on when they want not when i want and wont go off,i have to remove the 4 bulbs,i have put in a new switch but it is the same as before,when the lights come on if i bang the tailgate shut hard they might go off for a while,i cannot locate the switch on the tailgate for the courtesy light as i think there might be a problem there any ideas?

Last edited by zmisiri; 01-23-2003 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:35 AM
peh

1988 W124 300TE
Hi. The switch for turning on and off the lights in the aft cabin is located inside the tailgate lock. I´ve never tried it but I was told that it is possible to replace the switch without having to bye a complete lock assy. Your problem could lie here.
Best regards
Peter
Old 02-20-2003, 02:05 PM
peh

1988 W124 300TE
Lightbulb Estate interior light

Had the same problem on my 1988 300TE. Tried to solve it today. Got the tailgate lock out and located the two micro switches. Tried different things without luck. Put the lock back in and wanted to remove the bulbs from the four lamps. When doing this I had the tail gate open but the lock closed. (just push on the hook but don´t get your fingers in the way) When I took out one of the lights on the "D" frame, the light went out! After some investigation I found that the ground/earth connection on the light came in contact with the frame when installed. The connection on the light assy is not isolated and will eventually make connection to ground, and therefore light up all four bulbs in the aft cabin. I put some tape on the connections as isolation and the problem went away. Check all lights and do the same on them. Hope you can cure your problem in this way.
Regards
Eivmu