E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

e320 head bolts length?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
Thumbs up e320 head bolts length?

Anyone know what the measurement of E320 head bolts is supposed to be? Mine measured 160mm or just over 6 1/4" from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the head.

Finally got the chain tensioner removed from the engine. That is one well made and I must say clever device. The parts on these cars are crazy expensive but they are well made.

Thanks,
Jim Lee
Old 03-06-2009, 09:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by sasjzl
Anyone know what the measurement of E320 head bolts is supposed to be? Mine measured 160mm or just over 6 1/4" from the bottom of the thread to the bottom of the head.

Finally got the chain tensioner removed from the engine. That is one well made and I must say clever device. The parts on these cars are crazy expensive but they are well made.

Thanks,
Jim Lee
The head bolts that come out of the engine will be a bit longer than replacements as they are torque to yield spec. The torque them down so hard they will "stretch" the torque is like 50Nm then 90 degrees + 90 degrees. That is very tight.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:24 PM

1995 e320 Wagon
Head bolts and intake slack

I am thinking of not getting new bolts because my old ones measure 160mm which is exactly the length that Autohauz lists them at. Also I am kind of puzzled that they are selling a washer that costs $1.90 per whereas my bolts had no washers. Makes me wonder if they are the same bolts I need.
I am waiting on my valve seals which should be here early next week then I get my head looked over at a local machine shop.

One thing I still do not understand is this business about retarding the intake cam sprocket when I put the chain back on. In Steve Brotherton's excellent article http://www.mercedesshop.com/Wikka/M104HeadGasket
this is the deal I do not get:
"This is all just paint-by-numbers, except for the orientation of the intake cam timer. The fact that you have the intake cam doweled correctly, the exhaust cam doweled correctly and the crank on number one is not enough. You should have all of this, and the intake cam must be in the retard position with respect to TDC with the chain tight in the correct direction.
"
Is this all about having no slack on the drivers side of the chain when you put it back on? "Retard" means clockwise? How much? A tooth? Whatever it takes to have no slack?

Keep up the good works.

Jim Lee
1995 E320 awaiting a buffed up head.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:32 PM

1995 e320 Wagon
Never mind about the washer mystery. I just thought of the possibility that they did not come out with the bolts and there they is. Sitting in the head.
Just figured $35.98 for bolts, $26.60 for washers. Maybe $8 for shipping.
Now we are at about $70. I mangles two of the bolts getting them out. I guess I should probably go crazy and give up the 70 bucks.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by sasjzl
Never mind about the washer mystery. I just thought of the possibility that they did not come out with the bolts and there they is. Sitting in the head.
Just figured $35.98 for bolts, $26.60 for washers. Maybe $8 for shipping.
Now we are at about $70. I mangles two of the bolts getting them out. I guess I should probably go crazy and give up the 70 bucks.
My m104 does not use the washers. get the head bolts. It really shouldn't be an option. the torque specs on the head are critical and you should't risk having to redo the job for $30.00