E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

So many options... which one?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TBD
So many options... which one?

I'm finally considering dishing out for a replacement set of headlights for my 300CE. The plastic housing has turned colour and both the glass headlamps are cracked from errant stones... I'm still not sure whether I want the depo euros and the reason is that I found a few examples of w124's with the shrouded version of the headlight that I like.

Here's one example of the shrouded version that I like. I think it's something about the inner foglight reflector or lense being more clear... Plus, I like the idea that my inner foglight could have a tinge of yellow showing in the reflector (but it doesn't appear in this version)

Here's what mine looks like (not my actual car) but the headlamp assembly looks just like it... in other words, pretty ugly, but again, I'm not sure what the difference is between the above version and mine or which parts I would need to replicate the above.

Here's a euro-style one I like. The reason I'm on the fence with the depo version is because the glass on the depo version looks like it is more clouded or grainy whereas this one looks a bit more clearer. Plus I don't like the idea of loosing my headlamp wipers nor the idea of dishing out an extra $400 - $500 for the euro-style that came on the 94-95..

So here's what I found on ebay so far::

1. This guy is probably using someone else's pictures

2. Another set from Taiwan that I'm not sure is legit quality but hard to tell...

3. Same as above two but bi-xenon.. not interested since they are not projector xenons

4. Katmac's complete package offering, but minus the trim panels. Not sure about these with the inner foglamp lense grain design

5. Depos... is this price legit? Expected them to be more...

6. Finally, a headlamp shroud / door but I'm not convinced it will give me the look of that green 500E... unless, it was combined with this foglamp reflector

So right now I'm lost... my ideal look would be the euro look but it would get expense especially with the wiper parts since I'm not willing to lose that. The next 'ideal' would be the look of that green 500E but I'm not sure how to replicate it... there is obviously a difference between the regular headlamp shroud and a regular one but I can't tell what the difference and my local MB parts dept can't tell either if it is a different part.

Suggestions are welcome....

Last edited by optimizer; 03-28-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 E350 wagon cuprite brown; sold:2014 ML63; R500 Saks Edition; R500; more W124s than I can count
I bought Depos on ebay for about $200 shipped w/ clear corners. did not include the headlight bulbs or the euro six pin connectors. i also did not need trim panels or wipers because i have a '94 and the stock wipers and panels fit the euro lights. in comparison to my oem bosch dot lights, the quality of the Depo lights isn't bad at all and they have both city lights and the vacuum bits for the headlight levelers which the dot lights didn't have....
Old 03-28-2009, 11:50 AM

TBD
Originally Posted by termite
I bought Depos on ebay for about $200 shipped w/ clear corners. did not include the headlight bulbs or the euro six pin connectors. i also did not need trim panels or wipers because i have a '94 and the stock wipers and panels fit the euro lights. in comparison to my oem bosch dot lights, the quality of the Depo lights isn't bad at all and they have both city lights and the vacuum bits for the headlight levelers which the dot lights didn't have....
Which seller? Can you post some pics of them on your car?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1990 300ce
I bought from Katmac.

A few points:

1) Don't use the bulbs he sends you. They are over-wattage bulbs. They eventually melted the bulb connectors. Just throw them in the trash and get some lower watt bulbs. Also, he used to sell the trim panels with them. Not sure why he stopped, but you can get them from the dealer very cheaply. I forget which model w124 they come from, but search the forums and you'll find it.

2) If you like the inner housing to be more reflective and shiny, you can do a little extra work to "chrome" the housings. There are two approaches, both involving chrome tape that you can pick up at the local auto parts store.

-The first involves carefully sticking the tape on the housing without removing the lense. This is what I did. It's a pita but at least you don't have to remove the lense from the housing. It's tough because you don't have a good angle. It's hard to describe without showing you in person, but you don't have good access if you do it this way.

-stick the glass lenses assembly in the oven at a specified temperature (search the forums). This will soften the adhesive that keeps the glass lense attached to the piece you're trying to access. Then you can chrome away. It's extra work, but the results will be much better.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Optimizer,

The top car you posted is a US spec 500E which has different fog lights and beam pattern on the headlights....that's why it looks better than your 300E us spec lights.

LargePeterOneTwoThree: Are you sure the depo lights need to be baked? My bosch euros have seals and just clip together...

Depo or OEM Euros look much better, Optimizer....they also light much better...
Old 03-28-2009, 07:58 PM

TBD
Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Optimizer,

The top car you posted is a US spec 500E which has different fog lights and beam pattern on the headlights....that's why it looks better than your 300E us spec lights.

LargePeterOneTwoThree: Are you sure the depo lights need to be baked? My bosch euros have seals and just clip together...

Depo or OEM Euros look much better, Optimizer....they also light much better...
I think to replicate the 500E the key piece is the foglight shroud and possibly the reflector... how do I get these? all the local benz dealers here seem to need VIN #'s which i obviously won't have... lol..
Old 03-28-2009, 08:00 PM

TBD
Originally Posted by Bigpete123
I bought from Katmac.

A few points:

1) Don't use the bulbs he sends you. They are over-wattage bulbs. They eventually melted the bulb connectors. Just throw them in the trash and get some lower watt bulbs. Also, he used to sell the trim panels with them. Not sure why he stopped, but you can get them from the dealer very cheaply. I forget which model w124 they come from, but search the forums and you'll find it.
thanks for the heads up re: the bulbs, I think I've come across this on the forums so will check the correct wattage if I go the katmac route..

Originally Posted by Bigpete123
2) If you like the inner housing to be more reflective and shiny, you can do a little extra work to "chrome" the housings. There are two approaches, both involving chrome tape that you can pick up at the local auto parts store.
I'm thinking I'll also probably need to replace the foglight lense with a version that's 'clearer'?
Old 03-28-2009, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Save your money and buy euros or depo euros...US spec, regardless of 500E or not will still be FAR inferior and dated looking.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:35 AM

Go for the EURO headlights. I got some on my 300E, I love 'em!
Old 03-29-2009, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The 500E light has a driving light where the regular 124s have a fog light. That might explain the difference.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM

TBD
pulled the trigger and bought the depos... will see what I can do to get that yellow look for the inner fog. thanks for all the inputs!
Old 03-29-2009, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by optimizer
Pulled the trigger and bought the depos... Will see what I can do to get that yellow look for the inner fog. Thanks for all the inputs!
Good for you! I got those too, love 'em like I said!
Old 03-29-2009, 10:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Enzo, my Benzo
Just get yellow 3000K HID kit for the fog lights....or just good yellow bulbs...
Old 04-11-2009, 12:27 AM

TBD
picked up the depos from the UPS distribution centre, get home excited as anything, open the box and flippin ****....

They shipped out a COMPLETELY incorrect pair of headlights. I don't know which car they're for (maybe a Sentra or something...), but they're definitely not for the w124!

Ebay seller was ap1ap2 (DNA Motoring). This is probably gonna take until the end of May to get resolved..........
Old 04-11-2009, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
I had the same issue except they sent me 190E ones, but luckily the seller shipped me the correct ones within 2 days.
Different seller from yours.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 AM

TBD
Did you have to pay to ship the incorrect ones back and then pay for shipping of the correct ones a second time?