E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

300CE TT WIDEBODY BEGINS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 12:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1990 300ce 24v I6
Sexy. Gives me hope that one day my CE won't look like ***.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib
Sexy. Gives me hope that one day my CE won't look like ***.
Brett

"***" has always been a very subjective matter !!!
Can be big and bold or flat and not noticed.....

Ed

Last edited by RBYCC; 04-14-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Something to consider regarding wheels:

Not sure if they would fit, but they used to make 2-piece AMG wheels for the SL that were 8.5 and 10in. (f/r). Gorgeous wheels, also used on the W208 F1 Safety cars.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

88-300CE TWIN TURBO, 99-C43, 05-G55K, 71-280SL, 94-E320 CAB, 08 CLK63 BLACK SERIES
Originally Posted by Chappy
Something to consider regarding wheels:

Not sure if they would fit, but they used to make 2-piece AMG wheels for the SL that were 8.5 and 10in. (f/r). Gorgeous wheels, also used on the W208 F1 Safety cars.
Chappy

Thanks

I found a set that supposedly was for the 2001-2002 R129 SL600...
Checking on the offsets
Appear to be the size you indicate.

Trying to get something with a deep rear lip.

Ed A.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2010 VW Golf TDI
You know, I just don’t understand why you are going to change your car so much. You seem to love the thing and have kept it so nice. The subtle handling mods are a great thing and the TT part is cool, because you have a sleeper car with surprising speed if you feel the need to impress. That is neat, but cutting your car to pieces seems crazy to me. I remember seeing a list indicating that you had lots of other cars. Why not just buy a Porsche, an E500, or something else and keep the current W124 as a more natural and classic looking coupe with surprising speed?
Old 04-17-2009, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ksing44
You know, I just don’t understand why you are going to change your car so much. You seem to love the thing and have kept it so nice. The subtle handling mods are a great thing and the TT part is cool, because you have a sleeper car with surprising speed if you feel the need to impress. That is neat, but cutting your car to pieces seems crazy to me. I remember seeing a list indicating that you had lots of other cars. Why not just buy a Porsche, an E500, or something else and keep the current W124 as a more natural and classic looking coupe with surprising speed?
WHY?

Because I want to and can afford to do it....
I don't want Porsche, I don't want a 500E, don't even want a CLK63 Black...

I currently have a C43 AMG pocket rocket sedan, G55 AMG go anywhere fast truck, A124 Cab elegant summer tourer, and a W113 280SL vintage perfection...kind of suits any mood I could have...

Sometimes in life you just need to do want you want...
I've owned the car since new...some would say installing twin turbos would ruin the originality.
But all the mods I am doing are in replicating what tuners did in the late eighties, early nineties.

The TurboTechnics kit was commissioned and installed by a U.K. main Merc dealer for fitting on new delivery cars. Over a hundred were done and well documented in the contemporary motoring press.

AMG did the wide body to the customers specification...and in essence they were all one off.

If you can't find what you want, then you have to build it.
No different then what the trend is in replica muscle cars...
Only so many were made and most didn't survive !!!

The performance currently exceeds that of a 6.0L 32V 124 Hammer...
At 7lbs boost I dyno at 302 lbft torque at the rear wheels.
Add in drive train losses seen on the load dyno and it's about 390 lbft at the crank.
Boost now up to 9lbs, so probably about 15% + RWP.

With the present tire limitations it's not capable of controlling the power...
I could go stickier but still limited to about a 9" tread width.

So with my long drawn out answer, I'll summarize that I've been a gearhead even before I got my license forty five years ago...
I've owned pristine concours cars including a JCNA national champion...had race only max performance lightweight hemi SS/CA national record holder...DB Aston Martins, standard steel Rollers, a 3.8L Coombs replica Mark II...and many more.

Life is too short, and if you can get what you want and it pleases you, then why not ?

No risk....no reward
Old 04-17-2009, 10:10 AM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by RBYCC
WHY?
With the present tire limitations it's not capable of controlling the power...
I could go stickier but still limited to about a 9" tread width.
I understand this part of the reasoning and of course I understand that you can do anything you want with your car. Also, it isn't that I am crazy about staying pristine original OEM. Afterall, I went with Eiback springs and Bilstein HD shocks rather than the Sportline OEM when I upgraded the suspension. I guess I'm just not a big fan of the more dramatic mods and fabrications, but I certainly wish you the best of luck with your plans. Thanks for explaining things to me, even though all that matters is that you are happy with your car.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
WHY?

I could understand the CLK63 Black but I NEVER thought I'd hear someone like you say you don't have the littlest itch to go an pickup a 500E, or a least a nice late 80's 911 Turbo Either way, I know by looking at your dyno #'s that your surpassing 500E specs but the N/A pin at 80mph and up is something you cannot mimic unless you have 2 more cylinders hiding in there

Then again, instead of owning a rare car, or a super rare car (500E) you will now own a one of a kind beaut! I'm on your side Keep the updates coming!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by appatula
I could understand the CLK63 Black but I NEVER thought I'd hear someone like you say you don't have the littlest itch to go an pickup a 500E, or a least a nice late 80's 911 Turbo Either way, I know by looking at your dyno #'s that your surpassing 500E specs but the N/A pin at 80mph and up is something you cannot mimic unless you have 2 more cylinders hiding in there

Then again, instead of owning a rare car, or a super rare car (500E) you will now own a one of a kind beaut! I'm on your side Keep the updates coming!
I've been looking for a 500E...but if and when I find one it will be left UNtouched and stock !!!

Never been a Porsche type....although I had a Boxster on order when they came out in 1997...deliver was so long that I cancelled and bought a 97 XK8...always been more an Anglophile in car tastes...
I did consider a Cayman for my wife...but ended up with the E320 cab...

You would be very surprised at what happens above 80 MPH...
I'm only at 3400 rpm with the 3.07 gear....still a ways to go until peak power...

The rear gearing of the I6 spools the engine up quickly...
Old 04-17-2009, 12:36 PM

2010 VW Golf TDI
Originally Posted by appatula
or a least a nice late 80's 911 Turbo
I loved the mid 90's Porsche 993. In fact I almost purchased a 1995 993 instead of the E320, but at the time it just wasn't practical for me. They even had a turbo 993, although I was just planning to get the entry level version of the car. It really was quite a lot of car for not that much money. I love the wider stance and bulging fenders of the 993. The newer more sleek 996 and 997 cars don't make me drool like the 993 did or still does. To each his own I suppose.

Thats Phat

Last edited by ksing44; 04-17-2009 at 12:40 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
I've been looking for a 500E...but if and when I find one it will be left UNtouched and stock !!!

Never been a Porsche type....although I had a Boxster on order when they came out in 1997...deliver was so long that I cancelled and bought a 97 XK8...always been more an Anglophile in car tastes...
I did consider a Cayman for my wife...but ended up with the E320 cab...

You would be very surprised at what happens above 80 MPH...
I'm only at 3400 rpm with the 3.07 gear....still a ways to go until peak power...

The rear gearing of the I6 spools the engine up quickly...
Ahhh so the 500E truth comes out!! I also agree, a car of that stature DESERVES to be left untouched. (AndreNY) I'm happy you did not go the boxter route, they are about as low on my personal list as the Jap Z knockoff 944's. I personally find the air cooled wide bodied 911 series (80's era) to be the most performing and cosemetically appealing. However, I am a sympathizing anglophile in the sense that I am obsessed with vintage british bikes...Norton is god, and I remember my grandmothers XKE being one of the most incredible looking vehicles in existance to this day.

Just for the books Ed, anyone who can cut 911 WB flares and put them on a W124 is just unquestionably bada$$ You'd make the Germans proud!!
Old 04-19-2009, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
85 euro w124 300d non turbo black on black......coming soon hx35 turbo intercooler
Think that sums it up!! I dream of turbos!! Would you like a pic of one on a 4000 horse power locomotive? Your head can fit in the inlet~~
Old 05-15-2010, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
WHY?

When did you change your mind about the BS? Awesome project, post up more pics.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jrcart
When did you change your mind about the BS? Awesome project, post up more pics.
When I was able to pick up an under 6K mile example for $79K

Not saying prices won't continue to fall, but at what I paid it was "value" to me...

"Value" is relative to me..
In 1988 I paid $54K for the 300CE new off the showroom floor...
Probably over $100K in todays dollars !!!

I haven't even seen the build since late last year...it's been sitting.
May take a ride up tomorrow to bring a few more parts to the shop.
Takes time to gather the last few parts when you're trying to do an accurate period repro or tribute build.

Not sure if I posted this link on this thread, but this thread in the UK is kept up to date..

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/mbclu...-widebody.html

Ed A.

P.S.

I believe you're in the Chicago area?
Initial turbo install was done by Brian Murphy @ Willow Automotive in Chicago.
I've been doing the mods and "tweaking" since then...
Last dyno pull at 7lbs boost was 302lbft torque at the rear wheels ( Mustang load dyno ). Getting close to the 6.0L-32V "Hammer" V8 power !!.

Last edited by RBYCC; 05-15-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

When I was able to pick up an under 6K mile example for $79K

Not saying prices won't continue to fall, but at what I paid it was "value" to me...

"Value" is relative to me..
In 1988 I paid $54K for the 300CE new off the showroom floor...
Probably over $100K in todays dollars !!!

I haven't even seen the build since late last year...it's been sitting.
May take a ride up tomorrow to bring a few more parts to the shop.
Takes time to gather the last few parts when you're trying to do an accurate period repro or tribute build.

Not sure if I posted this link on this thread, but this thread in the UK is kept up to date..

P.S.

I believe you're in the Chicago area?
Initial turbo install was done by Brian Murphy @ Willow Automotive in Chicago.
I've been doing the mods and "tweaking" since then...
Last dyno pull at 7lbs boost was 302lbft torque at the rear wheels ( Mustang load dyno ). Getting close to the 6.0L-32V "Hammer" V8 power !!.

I hear you on the value thing...I paid MSRP ($139K) for my Black Series and don't regret it one bit. Since I rarely sell my vehicles I don't pay attention to depreciation too much, however I did back out of buying a SL65 Black Series after I saw what happend to the values of the CLK Black Series and now there are brand new SL 65 BS's sitting on showrooms for about $90k under MSRP so I now might be the time for me to pick one up...that or an SLS
Old 05-18-2010, 10:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hear you on the value thing...I paid MSRP ($139K) for my Black Series and don't regret it one bit. Since I rarely sell my vehicles I don't pay attention to depreciation too much, however I did back out of buying a SL65 Black Series after I saw what happend to the values of the CLK Black Series and now there are brand new SL 65 BS's sitting on showrooms for about $90k under MSRP so I now might be the time for me to pick one up...that or an SLS
As I said "value" is relative, as long as you're happy with the price that's all that matters.

I'm not a big fan of the newer Mercs other then the G-wagen which is so old that it's new !!!!
You can tell that by the Mercs I own...
I buy and keep cars for the most part..
I've had my C124 for 22 years...

I was actually looking for a C126 Widebody Euro AMG when the BS opportunity came up...
The BS fits my low production criteria for a keeper...
Ironically the C126WB I was looking for recently was available...
Kyle Khatib just brought another pristine example in from the Gulf States.
If it was available in February, I would have taken it over the BS...

The BS is an incredible car...probably about the best all around vehicle that AMG ever produced...
Old 05-18-2010, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As I said "value" is relative, as long as you're happy with the price that's all that matters.

I'm not a big fan of the newer Mercs other then the G-wagen which is so old that it's new !!!!
You can tell that by the Mercs I own...
I buy and keep cars for the most part..
I've had my C124 for 22 years...

I was actually looking for a C126 Widebody Euro AMG when the BS opportunity came up...
The BS fits my low production criteria for a keeper...
Ironically the C126WB I was looking for recently was available...
Kyle Khatib just brought another pristine example in from the Gulf States.
If it was available in February, I would have taken it over the BS...

The BS is an incredible car...probably about the best all around vehicle that AMG ever produced...
I can certainly appreciate your 300, it is going to be a real head turner and for those select few of us that can appreciate what it is you are trying to achieve makes it all that much cooler and special, as you know there are not many cars that can rival a BS's curb appeal, but your tt widebody is going to give it a run for its money.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I can certainly appreciate your 300, it is going to be a real head turner and for those select few of us that can appreciate what it is you are trying to achieve makes it all that much cooler and special, as you know there are not many cars that can rival a BS's curb appeal, but your tt widebody is going to give it a run for its money.
Thanks

I'm attempting an accurate as possible period build of what was an AMG model with perhaps a worldwide build of ten units.
No C124 widebodies were ever built in the USA.
The most famous was "1AMG", pictured in the ad which was dine by Stratton's in the UK.
This car is now owned by a forum frequenter "NickGed".

AMG actually sold the metal body kits to their world wide dealers for installation.
Many pre merger AMG builds were done outside of Germany by the AMG dealers.
In the USA you had BHMA and Westmont.
No two pre merger AMG's were identical as they were all in essence "one off" and built "ala carte' to the customers spec.

The BS with the C124 to me would be "then and now"...

You should try to find a pre merger AMG or even a 500E...
Amazing what "bang for the buck" you get and in some instances more exclusivity then the BS.

True AMG enthusiasts aren't "snobs" like some of the late model AMG owners are...just long time, old gear heads who still know how to adjust a carburettor

Ed A.