E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Camshaft seal location on e320?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
Camshaft seal location on e320?

Can someone tell me where the camshaft seal is on a m104 engine (1995 e320)? I am looking at this excellent diagram but not seeing where the seal would be. I am putting everything back together after replacing my head gasket and I have a seal that came with the head gasket kit and I do not know where it goes. I have put the upper timing chain cover back in place but would be no big deal to remove that and do it again if I need to. I also thave the hard copy manual titled "Mercedes W124 1985-1995" Owners Workshop Manual published by technibooks.

By the way, is there any other hardcopy manual other than the above? I have the official Mercedes cd's.

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
1995 e320 wagon
Old 04-05-2009, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Hey Jim,

Here is a link that has helped me tremendously with stuff like this. Ps2cho put it together (props to him) and it was the only thing that got me through my rebuild when it came to tech data. There are diagrams for everything and part numbers listed as well. Hope this helps you as much as it did me.

http://www.ps2cho.net/downloads/MB%2.../104index.html
Old 04-05-2009, 11:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
Thanks very much

Thanks, I have the head bolted down, the intake manifold and fuel rail back on. Now I am having nightmares about getting all the vacuum lines hooked up right. Were you able to find a good source for the vacuum lines? I did my best to tag them and have some pictures but am real nervous.

I was not able to find 94/95 E320 on this link:
http://www.detali.ru/cat/oem_mb0.asp?TP=1

...were you? There is a link that is labeled e320 but the engine looks nothing like mine.

I read your horror story with the exhaust cam sprocket. Very scary but all that ends well......
I figured out about turning the intake cam think clockwise before putting the chain back on to my marks. Think I have it but we shall see shortly. I lost the pin on my chain tensioner trying to put it back in. Even before I shot it into outer space I was not getting it to ratchet in. Were you able to do that? You are supposed to be able to feel the pin 'lock in' before you put it back in? Worse comes to worse I'll bother my local Indy once more.

Thanks very much and please tell me what you would do differently if you had the head gasket replacement to do over? Other than torque down the three infamous exhaust sprocket bolts and put enough locktite on them to last until the end of time....

Take care and happy e320 motoring.

Jim Lee
1995 E320