E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Where does this seal go?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
Where does this seal go?

I am doing a head gasket on a 1995 e320 Wagon and I have a seal that came with the head gasket that I do not know where it belongs. The head gasket kit is Victor Heinz and the seal is just over an inch and a half in outside diameter. It has an arrow pointing clockwise and the letters:
"SHR2" "30" "40" "7" "4".

Where does this go?

Also, any famous last words to someone about to put the valve cover back on?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Old 04-09-2009, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1994 E320 (current)
Originally Posted by sasjzl
I am doing a head gasket on a 1995 e320 Wagon and I have a seal that came with the head gasket that I do not know where it belongs. The head gasket kit is Victor Heinz and the seal is just over an inch and a half in outside diameter. It has an arrow pointing clockwise and the letters:
"SHR2" "30" "40" "7" "4".

Where does this go?

Also, any famous last words to someone about to put the valve cover back on?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Picture would help. Also with the valve cover install I ussually take a bout a half quart of oil and spread it around the cams and stuff and let it pool up. Also make sure you don't overtighten those bolts as you will get some ridges and it make leak on you. Have fun.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
Extra seal for e320

Another MB'er suggested this could be an 'extra' seal that is only necessary on the earlier 300 series. It might go behind the old fashioned :.} distributor on the camshaft of the previous generation e300 ?

I was going to put assembly lube on all the cams. Would you recommend the regular motor oil over that? I am embarrassed to say that I did get some superficial rust on the top side of the cams because I have been stretching this job out so long.

Thanks,
Jim Lee