E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Another dramatic weekend for my 300E..READ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 12:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Another dramatic weekend for my 300E..READ

I just got my car back after replacing the Drive Belt, Radiator Hoses, and Water Pump. I was driving along, then my front left tire went flat. I pulled over at a gas station and realized that my tire was almost off. I then got a tow truck to go back to my house ... he had to tow it from the front because the front tire was flat, i mentioned that the rear end was quite close to the ground and asked if he could balance it out by lowering the car in the front ... he then said that i should be more worried about the oil pan and not a couple scratches on the exhaust ... i agreed and allowed him to tow it his way... i wake up this morning and i noticed all my oil has leaked out onto the ground under and in front of the car in the snow.... i believe he ripped the oil pan apart ... anybody know for sure what happend, where i should look and what i should do about this, i would appreciate the advice ....
Old 02-02-2003, 08:09 PM
Almost a Member!

1992 Mecedes-Benz 400E
If that happened to me I would take pictures of the car (the underside) and have a witness observe the damage also. When the car is on a jack take a look under it to make SURE it was from the tow truck. Then call the towing company and tell them the situation. If they then blow you off I guess go to court.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:13 PM
Almost a Member!

I actually had 2 neighbors witness the leak around the car, and I also took pictures of the area around where the car was after it was towed ... the leak was everywhere. I tow company was actually cool about it ... after calling them, and explaining my situation, they sent a flat bed to my house within 10 minutes and agreed to inspect it and most likely fix it. Did I make good choices in the process, or should i take more steps ?
Old 02-02-2003, 08:46 PM
Almost a Member!

86 300e
Who is going to do the repairs?

Since they already messed your car up once. I would take the car to a place of MY choice for repairs. Get it in writing!
Old 02-04-2003, 10:50 PM
Almost a Member!

well, it turned out ok ... i got the car back a few hours ago... they fixed my tire and replace my oil with a brand new one... they are ace mechanics over there, but i still took it to my regular mercedes guy and he said it was perfect. let's see what happens next, knock on wood.