E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

Clicking when moving??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
Clicking when moving??

Just got a second set of 18x8 AMG Monoblock II's et31 with brand new ZR tires for $150 this morning What a steal!! Put two of them on the front and put the 18x8.5 on the rear to run staggered.

Well I put them on the wagon and there is a clicking while driving. I checked the lugs and they are tight...and I don't see anything hitting??

Any ideas? Its on the rear right. The left doesn't do it.
Old 04-27-2009, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 116 Likes on 74 Posts
2016 Cls63s AMG
it did that to my previous monobocks... it was something inside the drum break on the back some wire or i think it was the E break wire
Old 04-27-2009, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lots of cars
Just got a second set of 18x8 AMG Monoblock II's et31 with brand new ZR tires for $150 this morning What a steal!! Put two of them on the front and put the 18x8.5 on the rear to run staggered.

Well I put them on the wagon and there is a clicking while driving. I checked the lugs and they are tight...and I don't see anything hitting??

If you're using 39mm bolts you need to shave the rears a bit.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
How much do they need to be shaved off by?

BTW rear is ET47 right now. It fits fine...but as you said maybe its the bolts.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
How much do they need to be shaved off by?

BTW rear is ET47 right now. It fits fine...but as you said maybe its the bolts.
I've had the same offsets before, the bolts will hit if you don't shave them for that type of wheel. Shave them off by 2mm to 37 mm and they should be fine.

You're using bolts with a ball seat right?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Hmm not sure? Whatever is stock....I didn't think I needed the ballseat unless it was from the w210 chassis IIRC?

Here's the look:

What do ya think?

Rear tires are huge....looks sweet
Old 04-28-2009, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95' AMG SeeThreeSix
OMG I envy you!!!!!!

haha HOW did you manage to pull that off for 150$!@!$!@

I paid $600 for my Mono II's and another $680 for tires and alignment......Jesus must hate college students!

You deserve it though, after all the painstaking K-Jetronic, top end, etc. restoration you've gone through
Old 04-28-2009, 01:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Ohh and forgot to add...

It looks like SEX.

Now sand those lips down to the aluminum, and polish them to a shine, it adds this subliminal sharpness to the whole car. The glimmer will catch every drivers eye you pass on the highway.....Believe me!
Old 04-28-2009, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Yeh I called the guy expecting a "nah gone"....but he said available. I said on my way as I literally hopped into my clothes while talking to him. 1hour later they were in my hands.

I might end up selling my other set that I have now because I think the 260E looks good with my old Lorinsors on them. I got there and the guy was like "out of all the rims I got here....28's 22's...these 18's got 10 times as many calls....right after yours!"

I just said okay, gave the cash and split....didn't stick around before the real owner of the wheels found me

To be honest though the lip does need to be refinished as it has some curbrash. But for now it will do.

Originally Posted by appatula
Ohh and forgot to add...

It looks like SEX.

Now sand those lips down to the aluminum, and polish them to a shine, it adds this subliminal sharpness to the whole car. The glimmer will catch every drivers eye you pass on the highway.....Believe me!
The rears have that shine already as they are reconditioned...but the fronts are not as you can see. Did you sand yours yourself?
Old 04-28-2009, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by ps2cho
Yeh I called the guy expecting a "nah gone"....but he said available. I said on my way as I literally hopped into my clothes while talking to him. 1hour later they were in my hands.

I might end up selling my other set that I have now because I think the 260E looks good with my old Lorinsors on them. I got there and the guy was like "out of all the rims I got here....28's 22's...these 18's got 10 times as many calls....right after yours!"

I just said okay, gave the cash and split....didn't stick around before the real owner of the wheels found me

To be honest though the lip does need to be refinished as it has some curbrash. But for now it will do.

The rears have that shine already as they are reconditioned...but the fronts are not as you can see. Did you sand yours yourself?
Yes, I painstakingly jacked one rear wheel up and chocked up the fronts and other back wheel and put her into drive while I sanded through that damn thick film they have on there if you plan on doing this pick up some cheap low grade aluminum plate stock 1/8" as I litterally used that to shave off the film as the wheel spun without damaging the aluminum rim. Stock, yes, they are shiney, but there is a thick plastic film over them from the factory that makes them stay cleaner and easier to clean. The sheen you get from bare polished aluminum is NO match to even new factory shipped monos. You just need to polish them up every week or so after a wash and it REALLY REALLY stands out compared to stock monos. Comes in handy when you need a quick mirror after a long ride....I can see my own reflection in mine
Old 04-28-2009, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1994 C124 E320 Coupe - 1975 W116 280S
Originally Posted by ps2cho

Probably parking brake shoes.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
Hmm not sure? Whatever is stock....I didn't think I needed the ballseat unless it was from the w210 chassis IIRC?
All MB wheels use ball seat bolts. Never use a conical bolts on a mb wheel.

OMG I envy you!!!!!!

haha HOW did you manage to pull that off for 150$!@!$!@

I paid $600 for my Mono II's and another $680 for tires and alignment......Jesus must hate college students!

You deserve it though, after all the painstaking K-Jetronic, top end, etc. restoration you've gone through
$600 for 17s? thats a little high... I paid less than that for e55 18" monos staggered but i sold...

I know a shop who can polish them at a good price....Here's a wheel they did for me....

BTW, anyone wanna buy some 19" Carlsson 1/6 chrome wheels in mint condition? pm me..

Old 04-28-2009, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Then yes I am using ball seat bolts.

I'll get my dad to shave off 2mm for me at work. In the meantime I'll drive the 260E with the lorinsors on it
Will post back soon with results.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95' AMG SeeThreeSix
Originally Posted by YNVDIZW124
$600 for 17s? thats a little high... I paid less than that for e55 18" monos staggered but i sold...
Maybe everyone else is getting deals because around where I live good set of used GENUINE AMG mono's usually would run you $800. This includes Craigslist, and I even remember looking on eBay and almost pulling the trigger on knockoff non-AMG monos for over $600 then shipping if I remember correctly. between 6-8 hundred seemed like the average price over the year long period in which I waited for what I thought was a good price (Bought them from Cannonball so that was $600 shipped).
I can't complain though, and my lips look just as shiny as that picture, buffing wheel and red rouge FTW!

Sexy rim though....
Old 04-29-2009, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Youngtimer
I've had the same offsets before, the bolts will hit if you don't shave them for that type of wheel. Shave them off by 2mm to 37 mm and they should be fine.
i'm late to the party as usual, but yes, the bolts are too long, i had the exact same thing happen when i put on my wheels. discount tire gave me free bolts that worked perfectly (even though i didn't get my wheels or tires from them), and that worked like a charm
Old 05-04-2009, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Oh just to update -- yes that fixed it.

Car is pulling to the right a bit...but an alignment should fix that. Now I got a reason to really get the rear control arms done.

Doesn't seem to be any rubbing at all. Gotta take some dips in the road slower now though....but that's about it.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

lots of cars
You're not going to lower it right? Maybe slam the front?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
You're not going to lower it right? Maybe slam the front?
I want to lower it at some point in the future, yes