E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

New car: 1993 280E auto (pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W124 280E and a Mini R50
Cool New car: 1993 280E auto (pics)

Some of you have seen my other thread.... I need an old car with a big boot to do the occasional gardening and..... I miss my old w124 (had a 260E a couple of years ago).

I've just collected the car today, it's in reasonable condition: rust bubbling on both front wings (fenders) and on one of the A posts by the windscreen.... but it's an old car so it's not unusual!

The mileage is low, sub-90K. It comes with some service history (unfortunately only for the last 10 years, not much prior to that.

I don't think I'll be making any modifications to the car: I like the amber indicators etc.... That's going to be our work horse and we'll try not to spend too much on keeping the car on the road. I'm lucky enough to have access to a garage so the car should have an easy life :-)

Looking at the invoices, the car has recently had all new bushes and joints on the suspension (in the back), new exhaust, new water pump etc....

Having driven the car for about 30 miles I'm quite pleased.... I drove it back and then loaded the boot with topsoil and compost at the garden centre :-)

I'm not expecting the a/c to work but all the electrics seem to be in order! The car comes with 4x electric windows, sunroof, electric aerial, radio+CD changer (works as well).

The loom is on the way out but I did buy the car very cheap.... so when it starts playing up I'll either look for a replacement loom or maybe try to buy a lot of cable and do some soldering.... Has anyone managed to fix an engine wiring loom him(or her-)self?

Just one more question: I have to put my foot down quite hard on the accelerator (without flooring it of course) for the car to pull away? Is there something wrong with the car or is it just me and I'm used to drive-by-wire / ETC?

Ok, here goes the pic, more in my previous thread:

Click here to see my previous thread with more pics
Attached Thumbnails New car: 1993 280E auto (pics)-w124_latest.jpg  
Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
The accelerators on w124's are very different from every other car I have ever driven. When I get into other cars I almost forget and scream away by accident. Its normal. IIRC it was designed this way for comfort and a smooth drive away.

Less than 90k sounds great! Good to also hear the rear bushes have been done. With 10 years of prior maintenance, I wouldn't worry too much about before that.

You should plan to tune up any car unless it has 100% undeniable service records.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:55 PM

W124 280E and a Mini R50
Originally Posted by ps2cho
You should plan to tune up any car unless it has 100% undeniable service records.
Well, I'm looking through the records right now, it may need bushes in the front suspension at some stage...

I'll probably change the rear diff oil shortly, it's not been done for a while.

I know what you mean about driving an old w124 - it's not the kind of car you'd drive hard round tight corners neither.... not enough support in the seat! I'm not worried though, I've got a company car that handles like a little go-kart!

Last edited by w124uk; 05-19-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:43 PM

1993 300E
Congrats on the ride.

And man I really need to get some Euro headlights on mine. Looks so much better.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:48 PM

W124 280E and a Mini R50
Originally Posted by kaputt
Congrats on the ride.

And man I really need to get some Euro headlights on mine. Looks so much better.
Thanks,
Well, I have to say the US headlights look a bit out of place..... I'm glad the cars in the UK don't come with that kind of weird headlights.