E-Class (W124) 1984-1995: E 260, E 300, E 320, E 420, E 500 (Includes CE, T, TD models)

1995 e320 turn signal and wiper flaky

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.00 average.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 e320 Wagon
1995 e320 turn signal and wiper flaky

I am just about to go out and see how hard it is to get to my turn signal/wiper lever on the left side of the 1995 e320 to see if I can see why it is acting up. Sometimes the turn signals will work and sometimes they will not. If I beep the horn it will make the turn signals work, sometimes. Same deal with the wipers. First thing I thought of was the fuse but it appears that they are on seperate fuses. I don't know what else it could be but a flaky connection in the switch somewhere.

Any advice on going in there to clean it or replace it?

Thanks very much,
Jim Lee
Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2009, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
There is a multipurpose/combination that controls the wipers + lights and they can crack inside.

I did a write up over at mercedesshop on it

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=240897.

Maybe this will lead you in the right direction.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:55 AM

1995 e320 Wagon
Thanks much

Thanks very much Ps2cho. You probably have saved me from messing up my up to now unopened steering column.

Jim Lee
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 PM

89' 260E
Originally Posted by ps2cho
There is a multipurpose/combination that controls the wipers + lights and they can crack inside.

I did a write up over at mercedesshop on it

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...d.php?t=240897.

Maybe this will lead you in the right direction.
Hi ps2cho,

Just would like to inquire if the said DIY you did would help me out as well.. The problem with my wiper, on itermittent, would suddenly stop working for more than a few minutes and would only activite again if you move the stalk to signal a turn..

I did get to pull out the relay you showed but only sprayed the insides with contact cleaner.. failed to look at the solder points though..
Or would I need a new combi switch / stalk for this prob?

TIA,
Drin
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Originally Posted by drin
Hi ps2cho,

Just would like to inquire if the said DIY you did would help me out as well.. The problem with my wiper, on itermittent, would suddenly stop working for more than a few minutes and would only activite again if you move the stalk to signal a turn..

I did get to pull out the relay you showed but only sprayed the insides with contact cleaner.. failed to look at the solder points though..
Or would I need a new combi switch / stalk for this prob?

TIA,
Drin
All the wipers + blinkers are related to this relay. I would pull it apart again and inspect (assuming your eyes are good) for any cracks. It should be obvious if you are having problems. I see no real reason why you need to buy a new one. Even if you don't see any cracks, you are bound to see some discoloration or sections that don't look too perfect. Just touch them up with some fresh solder. Whats the worst that can happen?

A brand new one over at autohausarizona is like $50 IIRC.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
Last month I opened up and took apart my turn signal stalk because of a problem with my high beams. The copper contacts were heavily tarnished. Cleaning them up perked them right up. I wonder if the turn signal contacts have the same problem.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:35 AM

89' 260E
Originally Posted by ps2cho
All the wipers + blinkers are related to this relay. I would pull it apart again and inspect (assuming your eyes are good) for any cracks. It should be obvious if you are having problems. I see no real reason why you need to buy a new one. Even if you don't see any cracks, you are bound to see some discoloration or sections that don't look too perfect. Just touch them up with some fresh solder. Whats the worst that can happen?

A brand new one over at autohausarizona is like $50 IIRC.
Hi ps2cho,

Just did the re-soldering of the points you had shown and noticed that the wiper intermittent function showed better speed as compared to before.. might have hit the problems spot on.. thanks a bunch..

drin
Old 06-07-2009, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E
Great to hear

This same problem applies also to the larger unit next to that one. I had one of my turn signal lights just not turn on even though the bulb was fine. Resoldering that unit fixed it too. You want to keep this in mind if you ever have any problems with the A/C and starting/running problems as there are two more relays behind the battery. I fixed my intermittent A/C by resoldering on my 260E. Always go with the free approach first
Old 04-18-2010, 04:03 PM

E36 AMG, E34 M5
ps2cho you rock, I found a few cracked contacts, resoldered my relay and my turn signals and hazards came back!